Travel without Required Documents

What is a Form I-515A?


What To Do if You Received an I-515A?

As an F or J student, there are certain forms you need to bring with you when you arrive in the United States. If you try to enter the U.S. without all of your required documents or with unsigned or missing information, the U.S. Customs and Border Protection (CBP) officer may deny your entry into the U.S. or will issue you a Form I-515A, "Notice to Student or Exchange Visitor." This document allows you temporary admission into the United States for 30 days. To maintain your nonimmigrant student status, you must address your Form I-515A within the time provided to you.

Within 30 days of your entry, you must submit your I-515A and supporting documents to the U.S. government. If you don't the government will automatically END your immigration record and you will then have no legal status in the U.S.

  1. If you receive a Form I-515A, you must take the steps below to remedy the issue:
  2. Alert ISSS as soon as you arrive on campus that you received an I-515A.
  3. Make note of the two notification emails you receive from SEVP after being issued a Form I-515A
  4. Work with ISSS to mail the following documents to SEVP:
  • Form I-515A
  • Form I-20 or DS-2019, with original signatures
  • Form I-94
  • Copy of the admission stamp in your passport
  • I-901 SEVIS fee receipt for the SEVIS ID used to enter the country

Submit your paperwork within 30 days of your entry date. SEVP will process your documents and return them to a DSO at our office. If your submission is correct, SEVP will return your documents with a letter of approval, along with the Form I-94 that will have an extended departure date listed.

Report an issue - Last updated: 12/17/2020