Health Insurance Requirements

The U.S. Department of State (DOS) requires all J-1 exchange visitors (EV) and J-2 dependents to obtain minimum levels of health insurance coverage throughout their programs.

Insurance Requirements for Exchange Visitors (J-1 and J-2)

The J-1 exchange visitor must select one of the pre-screened plans below and provide proof of enrollment showing the name(s) of the insured, policy/plan type, and dates of coverage when you complete your immigration check-in at the Center for Global Education.

  • Cultural Insurance Services International ( Choose Coming to the U.S./International Scholars
  • Insubuy ( J1/J2 Exchange Visitor Visa Medical Insurance
  • International Student Organization ( J1 Exchange Plan or J1 Exchange Superior Plan
  • Compass Benefits Group ( Compass Care, Benchmark, or Benchmark Plus
  • Gallagher Student Health Insurance ( International Student & Scholar Insurance - Essential, Bronze, Silver, or Gold
  • Visit International Health Insurance ( Visitor (Plan E Plus) - Choose the $100,000 Medical Plan with no more than a $500 deductible

J-1 Insurance FAQs

What are the implications if I am not insured while at CC?

If international people experience a serious medical event, they are liable to pay for medical costs directly without negotiation or discounts. The significant cost of medical treatments in the United States is more than most international people can bear and the financial implications can be long-standing.

Additionally, the U.S. Department of State requires that all J-1 Exchange Visitors, as well as their J-2 dependents, maintain specific levels of insurance coverage. Without this insurance coverage, a J-1 Exchange Visitor is out of compliance and could have their immigration record terminated.

What are the U.S. Department of State insurance requirements that affect me?

The US Department of State (DOS) has very detailed insurance requirements for J-1 international students and scholars as well as their J-2 dependent family members. Qualifying insurance must include coverage of:

  1. Medical benefits of at least $100,000 per accident or illness
  2. Medical evacuation in the amount of $50,000
  3. Repatriation of remains in the amount of $25,000
  4. Expenses associated with the medical evacuation of exchange visitors to his or her home country in the amount of $50,000
  5. Deductible not to exceed $500 per accident or illness
  6. Co-insurance paid by J1 not to exceed 25% of covered benefits per accident or illness

These regulations also outline that the coverage period must match the J-1 program duration and put limitations on the location and professional rating of the company offering the insurance.

Why can't I just use my national health care coverage from my home country?

Often times, the national health care coverage of other countries does not meet the requirements of the U.S. Department of State. For example, the national health care coverage of countries such as Sweden, the UK, Japan, etc. do not normally provide for:

1) Medical evacuation to the home country

2) Healthcare charges to be paid directly to a US hospital, emergency room, etc. from the foreign governmental insurance system, meaning that students are required to pay medical expenses up front and then try to get reimbursement from their home country.

I cannot afford to pay for the entire cost of this insurance before arrival. Can I pay month to month?

No. You are required to purchase on of the pre-screened plans above and you will be required to maintain coverage for the entire time you are in the U.S. Typically this means pre-paying the entire cost of your insurance up front as we collect proof of insurance at the time of arrival for compliance reasons. We have provided three options above which all have differing costs and limits of coverage. You will choose the best one that suits your individual needs. All of the pre-screened plans above do meet the J-1 exchange visitor insurance requirements.

I found a cheaper plan that I think meets all the requirements. Can I use that instead?

It is mandatory that all CC sponsored J-1 Exchange Visitors (J-1 and J-2 dependents) purchase one of our pre-screened insurance options. These plans meet all U.S. Dept of State insurance requirements for J-1 Exchange Visitors.

At this time, we will only accept enrollment in these required insurance plans for compliance purposes. We will require proof of enrollment at the time that you arrive in the U.S. and complete your mandatory immigration check-in. There is no waiver or appeal.

Do I need to bring proof of my insurance to CC?

Yes, we will require that you bring proof of insurance enrollment showing your name, policy/plan type, and dates of coverage during your immigration check-in at the Center for Global Education.

How do I apply for insurance?

Please select from one of the pre-screened plans above. All of these policies will allow you to enroll and submit payment online.

Which dates should I select for my coverage period?

Please select coverage dates to account for each day you are in the U.S. For example, if you plan to arrive before the start of your program, please make sure that your insurance covers those pre-program dates. A good rule is to base your coverage dates on your planned flights.





Report an issue - Last updated: 04/19/2022