On-Campus Employment

Eligibility & Permission

Your F-1 student status permits you to work on campus at the university that issued your I-20 while you are enrolled in a full course of study. You must maintain F-1 status to be eligible for this employment benefit; maintaining status means that you are a full-time registered student in good academic standing with a valid I-20. Pre-approval from ISSS is not required for on-campus employment.

International Student Hiring Process

Students & On-campus Supervisors: Please click on the link above for full details on the hiring process for international students

Definition of "On-Campus" Employment

On-campus employment includes:

  • Employment for Colorado College (job is located on campus and paycheck comes from CC)
Examples: library student worker, ITS help desk, departmental assistant, Registrar's office, etc.
  • Work performed in a campus location for a commercial firm providing direct services to students (job is located on campus but paycheck will come from an outside vendor)
Examples: Food service worker for Bon Appetit, working at the student bookstore (managed by Barnes & Noble), writer/photographer for the Catalyst

Time Limits

You are allowed to work:

  • Part-time (20 hours per week or less) while school is in session
  • Full-time (more than 20 hours per week) during official school breaks: Fall break, Winter break, Spring break & Summer break.
    • Note: Block breaks are not considered official school breaks

Expiration of On-campus employment eligibility

Your on-campus employment eligibility ends:

  • When you complete your program of study (the last day of your last block class)
  • If you transfer to another university; your work authorization expires on the day of your SEVIS record release date
  • If you violate your F-1 status

Your Responsibility: Know the Rules

It is your responsibility to research and understand your on-campus work eligibility. It is generally not the job of CC staff outside of ISSS to thoroughly know the immigration regulations & rules related to hiring international students. It is possible you will be offered employment that you are not eligible to accept or for your employment eligibility to expire. Be sure to review all information provided by ISSS and consult with us if you have any concerns or questions.

Frequently Asked Questions: Social Security Number (SSN)

Do I need a Social Security Number (SSN)?

If you are planning to work while you are a student at Colorado College, you must apply for a Social Security Number (SSN). Only those students who have been authorized to work, and who have a job offer, will be eligible for a number.

When can I get a Social Security Number?

You are only eligible to apply for a Social Security number after you have received a job offer.

I have a job offer, how do I apply for a Social Security Number?

For a full overview on how to apply for a SSN, please see the SSN Overview for International Students

Will I need a SSN for any other purpose?

Some banks will ask for your Social Security Number in order to open a bank account. If you explain that you are an international student, they usually are willing to accept your Colorado College student identification number instead. Also, if you wish to apply for a Colorado state driver's license, you will either need to have a Social Security Number, or provide proof that you are not eligible for one (see ISSS for more information).

Will I need to have a SSN before I start working?

You are not required to have a SSN before you start work. However, you will need to apply for one as soon as you have been offered a job.

How long does it take to receive my SSN?

You will receive a Social Security card with your number by mail. It normally takes between 1-2 weeks to receive this card.

Frequently Asked Questions: Taxes

If I am employed, will I pay any income tax?

Taxes in the U.S. vary greatly from student to student. Treaties between a student's home country and the U.S. government can affect income tax requirements. Since this topic is complex, CC provides some helpful tools. All foreign nationals employed by CC will need to set up an account in CC's Glacier Tax Compliance System. This program is software used by CC to do tax evaluations and withholding for CC's international employees.

Report an issue - Last updated: 12/17/2020