Skip to main content

FAQs for Parents and Families

Please visit this resource page for the most up-to-date FAQs for the 2020-2021 school year.

The Office of Parent and Family Programs is here to address questions and concerns regarding your student. Many of the questions asked most frequently by parents are listed below. If you can't find the answer you need, please call (719) 389-6103 or email If we cannot give you an immediate answer, we will work to connect you with those at the college who can provide assistance and support.

Academics: General

I want to see my student's grade reports or transcripts and see how they are performing academically.

College students' records are protected by the Family Educational Right and Privacy Act (FERPA), which restricts institutions from releasing grades and other educational records without the student's written permission. Students may view their grades online through Self-Service Banner (SSB) after the grades have been submitted and recorded by the Office of the Registrar. Since the system is student-controlled, students are encouraged to share grade information with their parents. Colorado College does not mail grade reports home. If parents want an official copy of their student's grades, the student can submit an online request to have a copy sent to their parents by following these instructions.

Are tutoring services available?

The Colket Center for Academic Excellence provides collaborative learning opportunities for all Colorado College students, as well as tutorial assistance when needed. Please see the Academic Support section below for additional information about the Colket Center.

What should my student do if he or she has issues with registration or class scheduling?

The first option for students who are having trouble resolving their schedules is to work with their academic advisor.

What if my student's advisor is away, busy, or can't answer his or her questions?

The Advising Hub works in collaboration with all faculty and departments across CC to connect students with campus resources, academic advisors, fellowships, and upcoming campus events. Located on the east side of the second floor in the newly renovated Tutt Library, the Advising Hub serves as students' one-stop shop for exploring majors, fellowships, career paths, and various other resources available at CC. While appointments are not necessary, they are encouraged. Walk-in hours are every Tuesday and Thursday from 8:30 a.m. - 5 p.m. Appointment hours can be scheduled Monday, Wednesday and Friday from 8 a.m.-5 p.m.

What if I have questions about my student's academic performance?

If you have questions about how your student is doing at Colorado College, you should talk first with your student. If you are not satisfied with that discussion, you can contact Pedro de Araujo, the Vice Provost at (719) 389-6687. It is best not to contact faculty members, as it is important that the faculty-student relationship be built directly by those individuals. In addition faculty will not know whether a FERPA form has been signed, so they will not be certain what information your student has given permission to communicate. Dean de Araujo will have access to your student's FERPA status.

Does Colorado College offer summer school, and what should we know about it?

Yes, Colorado College does have a Summer Session. The Summer Session offers Colorado College students an opportunity to make progress toward their degrees, take courses not offered during the spring or fall, or engage in intercultural study programs offered only through the Summer Session. After one semester of study at Colorado College, each Colorado College student is provided with a "Wild Card" tuition credit that can be used once before graduation to cover the tuition for one summer block of regularly scheduled classes. Students do not need to notify student accounts or Summer Session to use the Wild Card; it is applied to the student account automatically for the first summer course. In addition and with pre-approval, it is possible for students to take some classes at colleges and universities close to home. See the Registrar's office transfer credit guidelines for more information.

Academic Support

Who needs academic support at Colorado College and why?

In a competitive academic environment, all students, regardless of their ability or preparation, will experience academic challenge. Every student can benefit from learning how to manage challenge, persist through difficulty, and develop academic resilience. The Colket Center for Academic Excellence works to promote a culture of learning in which seeking help, consulting with professionals, and collaborating with peers to problem-solve are understood and embraced as a natural part of the learning process.

How does the Colket Center for Academic Excellence help support learners outside of the classroom?

The Colket Center provides students with a supportive environment, individualized instruction, and opportunities for collaborative learning. The Colket Center approaches learning from a social constructivist perspective, as a process in which learners actively construct knowledge, building upon or transforming their existing understanding as a result of their social encounters and participation in an academic community.

The Colket Center has three distinct units: support for writers through the Ruth Barton Writing Center, support for math, the sciences, and quantitative social sciences through the Quantitative Reasoning Center, and support for English Language Learners through our English as a Second Language specialist. A thesis-writing specialist works with students writing senior theses and capstone projects and a writing center specialist works with students applying for highly competitive scholarship and fellowships. The Colket Center also offers programs for students at transitional moments in their academic careers through the First Year Program and Sophomore Jump.

Who uses the Colket Center?

More than 55% of students enrolled at Colorado College use the services of the Colket Center in a given year. The Colket Center serves the most accomplished students alongside the most at risk, seniors alongside first-years, students studying math and science alongside students who are writing papers for humanities course. All students, regardless of ability or preparation, come to the Colket Center to seek help, consult others, and collaborate - skills that are valuable far beyond the CC experience.

How can my student improve his/her writing while at CC?

The Ruth Barton Writing Center provides students with opportunities for individual consultations and tutorial assistance with peer and professional staff, as well as adjunct courses and workshops focused on critical academic skills - reading, writing, study strategies, and English language learning. Students can schedule writing consultations that target each stage of the writing process for up to a block in advance, with either peer or professional tutors. They can access tutor profiles, online resources, and our scheduling system by visiting the Writing Center website, and can always email professional staff with any questions they have about the process of working with a tutor at the Writing Center.

How can the Colket Center help with STEM courses?

The Quantitative Reasoning Center (QRC) offers tutorials by peer and professional staff for students in mathematics, science, computer science, social science, and other classes with quantitative components. The QRC offers drop-in tutorials, group problem-solving sessions, review sessions before exams, and one-on-one tutoring with subject-specific tutors. Students can study at the QRC with their tutors, review answers for homework, get feedback on lab reports, prepare for exams, or just chat with the knowledgeable tutors.

When can my student get help?

Both the QRC and the Writing Center offer a wide range of hours to serve student needs on the block.

Writing Center peer tutors are available:

  • Monday - Thursday: 10:00 am - 10:00 pm
  • Friday: 10:00 am - 4:00 pm; Sunday: 2:00 pm - 10:00 pm.
  • Students can also pick up a list of Writing Center tutors who are available outside of normal business hours or schedule an appointment with a professional staff member.

QRC peer tutors are available on a drop-in basis:

  • Monday - Thursday: 2:00 pm - 10:00 pm
  • Students can also schedule one-on-on tutoring appointments with subject-specific peer tutors at their convenience.


Where can I get information about campus accessibility resources?

The Accessibility Resources office collaborates with the Colorado College community to ensure that all aspects of campus life are accessible, equitable, and inclusive for people who experience disabilities.


When are block breaks and other holiday breaks?

The academic calendar provides information on all breaks in the regular schedule. Before students or parents purchase tickets for plane travel around breaks, students should consult with their professors about their course schedule and exams.

How can I know when to purchase my student's airplane tickets to come home for breaks?

Due to the unique nature of the Block Plan, it is difficult for a student to know at the beginning of a semester when an exam might be scheduled for each block class. In general, students should not plan to leave campus any earlier than noon on the last day of class prior to a block or holiday break. While families can use the academic calendar as a general guideline, some professors will schedule exams or assignments on the last day of class before break, and some professors have attendance requirements that only allow a certain number of missed classes. Your student is responsible for knowing the specific requirements and exam schedules for his/her classes.

Dining and Meal Plans

Are all students required to be on a meal plan?

All students living in traditional residence halls, small houses, language houses, Western Ridge apartments, and fraternity housing are required to be on a meal plan. Students living in cottage housing, Synergy House, or off campus are not required to be on a meal plan.

Where can I get more information about meal plans?

Meal plans are managed through the student accounts office. Visit their webpage to get information about different meal plan costs or answers to common questions. You can also contact the office via phone at (719) 389-6698.

Do dining locations remain open during block and holiday breaks?

Campus dining offers service during block and holiday breaks, except for Winter Break when the entire campus is closed. There may be changes to the normal dining schedule and some locations may be closed during breaks. If your student is staying on campus during break times, he or she will want to look for information about posted hours of closings.

My student has special dietary needs/restrictions. Who should he or she speak with?

Bon Appétit is able to accommodate a wide variety of dietary needs/restrictions and is accustomed to working with students to meet their requirements, including developing a plan that may include special menu items, ingredient identification, special preparation, and communication to necessary staff to ensure that your student can eat safely. Please contact Bon Appétit's general manager, Randy Kruse, at (719) 389-6152 for more information or to discuss accommodations.

How can I celebrate my student with a special treat?

Students love special treats! Get more information about celebrating your student here.

Emergencies: Campus

How are CC students notified in case of a campus emergency?

CC students, faculty, and staff are notified through the Rave Mobile Safety messaging system, a multi-modal service that helps college officials provide emergency information via:

  • Voice messages to home, work, and cell phones
  • Text messages to cell phones, PDAs, and other text-based devices
  • Written messages to e-mail accounts
  • Messages to TTY/TDD receiving devices for individuals who are deaf or hard-of-hearing

All students are automatically enrolled in this system based on the directory information that they provide and/or verify through the check-in process at the beginning of each semester. If a change in information occurs either before or after semester check-in, please encourage your student to keep their contact information updated through the "personal information" menu in the Self Service Banner (SSB) portal.

What types of situations will call for use of this messaging system, and how does the college determine when to use it?

The Rave Mobile Safety messaging system is used only when there is an emergent (immediate) situation posing a threat to the campus. It is not used for incidents that have ended. We want to assure that messages are sent only when there is a true emergency so that students, faculty, and staff are not de-sensitized by non-emergency messages from the system.

What kinds of messages might be sent during a campus emergency?

There are three types of messages that might be sent by the college to communicate about emergencies:

  1. Emergency notification of an emergent threat to the campus; sent immediately after Campus Safety learns of the emergency.
  2. Timely warning email when a crime has occurred on or near campus and a suspect is at-large; sent soon after Campus Safety learns of the situation.
  3. General email to campus community and parents; this may communicate resources for support or other information. Timing varies.

How and when are parents notified of a campus emergency?

Please be aware that taking care of our students is the top priority for the college. Before messages are sent to parents, we need to make sure that information is accurate, that the next steps in our emergency response protocols are activated, and that the campus community has been notified.

The Office of Parent and Family Relations will keep parents informed via email. If you are not on our email list, please let us know so that we can update your contact information. Send an email to or contact us by phone at 719-389-6103. Please also be sure that "" is included on your service provider's "approved senders" list.

If the Colorado College website is operational, any notifications that are sent to the campus community via the Rave Mobile Safety messaging system will also be posted on the emergency preparedness webpage.

Can parents sign up for alerts from the Rave Mobile Safety messaging system?

Students have the ability to add your contact information to their accounts during semester check-in. Please discuss your notification preferences with your student.

How else can I keep in contact with my student?

Encourage your student to download and use the personal safety app from Rave Mobile Safety and available for both iPhone and Android platforms. In addition to providing a direct access point for Campus Safety, your student can designate you as a "guardian" within the app, enabling you to check your student's status when the app is activated.

I cannot reach my student. What do I do?

Nothing is more anxiety-producing than not being able to reach your student. While there are many possible reasons for an inability to communicate (your student turned his/her phone off, cell phone or internet service is disrupted, power is out, etc…), please know that our first priority is always our students' safety. You can be assured that our Emergency Management Team is hard at work from the very start of any emergency situation, and that college staff members are available to support student needs on an around-the-clock basis.

Does CC have an emergency preparedness plan in place?

Yes. The campus emergency preparedness plan, an emergency preparedness guide, and other information are provided on the emergency preparedness webpage. Emergency protocol quick reference cards are also posted across campus in multiple locations in every building.

Emergencies: Personal

Who should I contact in the event of a personal emergency involving my student?

If you are aware of a medical or life-threatening emergency involving your student, call CC Campus Safety at (719) 389-6911, 24 hours a day. Additional contact information for non-emergency situations is available here.

How will I be notified if my student experiences a medical emergency at CC?

If a student experiences a medical emergency or life-threatening health concern, informing parents/guardians, especially when we are aware that a student has been transported to the emergency room, is a high priority. Emergency medical incidents may include a severe injury or illness, mental health crisis, or substance-related incident. Response to emergency incidents is coordinated and supervised by the Student Life Office (Vice President for Student Life/Dean of Students). If an incident occurs during regular business hours, contact will be initiated by the Student Life Office. If an incident occurs outside of regular business hours, response and support are available from a rotation of trained, on-call professional staff, called dean's representatives, who are available from 5 p.m.-8 a.m. during the week and 24 hours on the weekend.

What should my student do in the event of a personal emergency?

In the event of a life-threatening emergency, students should call 911 (9-911 from an on-campus phone) or Campus Safety at 719-389-6911 (6-911 from an on-campus phone). Students should always give their location, nature of the emergency, and be prepared to respond to the dispatcher's questions or instructions. Students should not hang up until told to do so.

In case of a medical or psychological crisis, students should call Campus Safety at 6911. Campus Safety can initiate a response from police, fire, medical, counseling support teams, and other appropriate campus resources. If an emergency involving CC students occurs off campus, students should notify Campus Safety immediately at 719-389-6707.

Who should I contact to notify of a family emergency that affects my student?

To report a serious illness, family emergency, or other matter that could affect your student's well-being and/or academic progress, please call the Student Life office at (719) 389-6689 or (719) 389-6684 to inform the dean or assistant dean of students of the situation. If it is after business hours and you have an urgent concern that requires immediate attention, please call Campus Safety at (719) 389-6707, and your call will be directed to a campus on-call representative. In an emergency situation, please call Campus Safety's emergency line at (719) 389-6911.

Who should my student notify if he or she is delayed returning to campus following a break?

If your student is having travel difficulties (for example, due to winter storms or flight delays) and will not be back on campus in time for the start of classes, your student should contact his or her professor directly to let them know of the delay. If the student is unable to contact the professor, he or she may also call the Student Life office at (719) 389-6689 or (719) 389-6684 to inform the dean or assistant dean of students of the situation.


When is tuition billed/due?

Questions regarding billing and payment can be answered by the Student Accounts office.

How are parents notified when tuition is due?

Colorado College uses an online billing system. Email billing notifications are sent to students at their Colorado College email address. An email notification is also sent at the same time to valid email addresses for each authorized payer that has been granted access to the system by their student. If you are not receiving email reminders for e-bills, it is most likely because your student has not yet granted access to you for their account.

What does my student need to do to grant me access to the online payment system?

Please visit the Student Accounts website for detailed instructions.

What's the difference between the Gold Card, the Gold Card Plus Account, and a student account?

A Gold Card is the Colorado College "one card" identification card. It communicates by the magnetic stripe on the back of the card to computers that access dormitory and other building doors, meals, Tiger Bucks, and spending money if you have funded a Gold Card Plus account. The Gold Card Plus Account is a debit account used to purchase goods and services on campus. The student account is where tuition, room, board, etc. are billed. Do NOT make a deposit into the Gold Card Plus Account with the intention of paying any part of a student account bill. Meal plans are charged to the student account.

Is there an ATM on campus?

Yes, there is a Wells Fargo ATM on the first floor of the Worner Center.

Which bank should my student use?

The college has secured relationships with the following banks which will provide banking services to our students, faculty, and staff.

Bank of Colorado
421 N Tejon Street
(719) 473-2100

  • Check cashing for students, faculty, and staff (with Gold Card & ID)
    • Unlimited denomination if Colorado College check
    • Up to $200 for non-Colorado College check
  • Free checking account

Wells Fargo Bank
90 S Cascade Avenue
(719) 577-5496

  • Check cashing for students, faculty, and staff (with Gold Card & ID)
    • Unlimited denomination if Colorado College check
    • Up to $200 for non-Colorado College check

Who can help me with a financial aid question?

Questions about financial aid should be directed to the Financial Aid office. They maintain a comprehensive website with detailed information on a variety of financial aid issues.

Health and Wellness

Where can students get information about living a healthy lifestyle?

Colorado College is committed to helping students develop and maintain healthy lifestyles. The Wellness Resource Center is the keystone of this educational commitment.

What if my student experiences personal or mental health issues?

Encourage your student to:

  • speak with his or her student residential advisor (RA) or professional residential life counselor (RLC). Residential life staff are trained to assist students with accessing campus resources;
  • make an appointment to see Assistant Dean of Students Cesar Cervantes in the Student Life Office;
  • talk with one of the Chaplains;
  • make an appointment at the Colorado College Counseling Center. The counseling center offers 24-hour mental health services and a myriad of other counseling services. The counseling center is open to all Colorado College students. There is no fee for the first six counseling sessions.

What if my student becomes ill?

Colorado College partners with DaVita Medical Group (formerly CSHP) to provide health services to students on campus through the Student Health Center. They can provide primary and acute care services to CC students, as well as women's health services, travel medicine clinics, and health education and prevention education.

The college and the health professionals with whom we partner are committed to supporting Colorado College students' health with an understanding that healthy students are best equipped to fully engage the educational opportunities available through Colorado College curriculum and programs. We are also committed to educating our students on how to become savvy and informed users of healthcare for a lifetime.

Where can students get care if the Student Health Center is closed?

If the Student Health Center is closed, students may visit the DaVita Urgent Care Clinic. The DaVita Urgent Care Clinic is open Monday through Friday, 8 a.m.-8 p.m., Saturday from 9 a.m.-5 p.m., and Sunday 9 a.m.-3 p.m. The clinic is also open on all holidays, but those hours vary.

Students may also visit the emergency room for either hospital if they need care and the health center and urgent care clinic are closed. The emergency room should only be used in severe circumstances.

  • Penrose-St. Francis Hospital
    2222 N. Nevada Avenue
    (719) 776-5000
  • Memorial Hospital (University of Colorado Health)
    1400 E. Boulder Street
    (719) 365-5000

Students may also call the DaVita Urgent Care Clinic number, (719) 636-2999. They will reach a nurse answering service that will either direct them to the emergency room or contact the DaVita physician on call on their behalf.

How do I get access to my student's health records?

The Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act of 1996 (HIPAA) is a federal law that sets rules for health care providers and health plans about who can look at and receive health information, including family members and friends. Parents should be aware that all students 18 years and older are considered legal adults when it comes to their medical care, even if parents are providing full financial support. Unless your adult student has given written permission authorizing disclosure of their health information to you, healthcare providers are prohibited by law from providing you with any health information.

If your student is treated at the Student Health Center, your student can sign a HIPPA release form which will give you access to information about the treatment provided there by Colorado College's medical provider, DaVita Medical Group.

In the event that your student is treated at another facility, or is unable to provide authorization at the time they are being treated, it may be a good idea for you to have a signed authorization on hand that you can send to the healthcare provider, which will allow them to provide you with your student's health information. You may also want to consider completing a durable power of attorney and/or health care proxy with your student. These forms authorize you to make medical and financial decisions in the event that your student becomes incapacitated. Read more about these documents and find helpful links in these articles from Forbes and Consumer Reports.

Will the Student Health Center bill insurance?

All students enrolled at Colorado College are required to be covered by insurance, either under a family health insurance plan or under the college's student insurance plan. Students and their parents should confirm their coverage with their plan prior to arrival at Colorado College and prior to any appointments to determine their exact benefits. Services provided at the Student Health Center or at the DaVita urgent care clinic will be billed to the insurance plan under which the student is covered.

Why do I get charged for the health insurance premium every year?

All students are required to provide proof of health insurance coverage every year. Students will be charged for the CC health premium on their fall invoice. Students have the option either to enroll in the college student insurance plan or to waive enrollment in the college's plan by providing proof of private insurance coverage. Waivers or enrollments are completed through the student insurance webpage. A health plan mailing normally goes out to families toward the end of June, which explains the health insurance coverage and enrollment/waiver process. For questions and more information about student health insurance, please contact Kim Taylor at 719-389-6386.

Do students have to pay for anything at the Student Health Center?

Most insurance plans require a copayment or have a deductible. Depending upon the student's specific plan, students may be responsible for a payment of some kind. Students may use their CC Gold Card for payment, provided they have funds available on their Gold Card Plus Account. Prescriptions dispensed at the Student Health Center must be paid for at time of pickup. The Student Health Center is not able to bill prescriptions to a student's Colorado College account.


How does the room assignment process work?

New students are assigned housing based on the preference information they submit with their online housing agreement.

  • They may be offered a space in a Living Learning or Special Interest Community if they've applied to one of those areas.
  • They may be assigned to a substance-free, 24-hour quiet, or single sex area if they've expressed an interest.
  • Our auto-assign process attempts to match students with an optimal roommate based on their answers to online questions. Those questions are limited in scope, as we believe that it's important for students to learn to navigate differences, communicate effectively, and confront situations that might be impacting their living environment.

Returning students select housing in one of three ways:

  • Apartment selection: Apartment selection is open to seniors and juniors. For housing purposes, seniors are students who have completed six semesters and juniors are students who have completed four or five semesters by the start of the following fall semester. Students apply as a group and are given random group lottery numbers based on class standing (all senior groups, mixed junior and senior groups, all junior groups). They then select an available apartment when their lottery number is called. Due to the limited number of apartments on campus, not all interested junior groups are able to choose an apartment.
  • Theme area application process: Interested students can apply to any of the theme areas on campus (language houses, Living Learning Communities, 24-hour quiet, substance-free, etc.). Applications are evaluated by staff, and room offers are made accordingly.
  • Regular room selection: Students are assigned individual random time slots, again based on class, and are able to choose their room from among the available inventory when their time slot arrives.

When will my first-year student receive his or her housing assignment?

Once your student has received the initial mailing containing his or her new email, he or she will start to receive emails from the Office of Housing and Conferences regarding housing information. The initial email will contain instructions for completing the online housing agreement and preference information. The deadline for completing housing information is June 30, and the roommate matching process occurs soon after. Your student can expect to receive room and roommate information in early August.

Why does my student have to wait until August to receive his or her housing assignment?

Many factors influence the room assignment process and create movement in housing through the month of July, including:

  • admitted new students may still choose not to come;
  • returning students may change their housing plans due to transfer or late acceptance to study abroad;
  • returning students may decide to take a leave of absence or apply to live off campus if eligible.

As we attempt to balance these factors with our effort to meet as many individual requests as possible, both incoming students, as well as returning students who did not secure an assignment during the housing selection process, will receive their assignments in early August.

Is it possible that my first-year student will have more than one roommate?

Yes, it is very likely. CC first-year housing includes double and triple rooms. Rooms are assigned after all housing applications are received. The exact number of each type of room fluctuates from year to year depending on a variety of factors, including first-year enrollment and upperclass housing needs.

Will my student be charged less for a triple room?

Yes. Rate information can be found here.

Why are there returning students without room assignments?

Although there are spaces available at the end of the selection process, some students (primarily sophomores) may end up with no housing assignment at the end of the year.

  • The most common reason for this is that the student had a later time slot, and a room that fit their preferences wasn't available (i.e., they really wanted a single, and only doubles were left). As a result, the student will elect not to choose a room.
  • In some cases, a student may simply have chosen not to participate in room selection. For a relatively small number of students, room selection isn't a priority, and they're content to simply be assigned a room.

May my student room with a friend or someone they know?

Students are able to specify a particular roommate through the online housing agreement process. Both students must name each other, as we don't intentionally place students together unless the request is mutual. Naming a specific roommate does not guarantee that students won't be placed in an overflow triple room with a third, random roommate.

What happens if my student and his or her roommate(s) don't get along?

Our staff works with students to help them explore ways in which to resolve roommate conflicts, but there is a wait list process that students can utilize if attempts to solve issues are unsuccessful.

May my student live off-campus?

Colorado College is a residential college with a three-year on-campus living requirement. The college's residence halls are meant to foster social unity and to enhance the total learning environment and experience for our students. Only students with senior status are able to live off-campus. Until granted off-campus status as seniors, all students are required to live in college housing except:

  • Students who are 23 years or older
  • Military veterans
  • Students living at home with their parent/guardian
  • Students who are married
  • Students with dependent children living with them

May my student ship belongings to the school?

Yes, students my ship belongings to the school. First-year students who wish to ship items ahead of their arrival on campus may not have a Worner Box assigned to them until the end of August. In this case, please make sure that you put "Hold for incoming student" on the outside of the box and shipping label.

Where does my student receive mail?

Colorado College's student mailing address for both mail and packages is:

[Student Name]
Colorado College Worner Box [WB#]
902 N. Cascade Avenue
Colorado Springs, CO 80946-[WB#]

May my student come to campus early or return early after breaks?

No. The residence halls are closed and therefore unsupervised during campus holidays and breaks. Because of this, students are not permitted to return early. Exceptions to this are made in the fall semester for first-year students who participate in "early move-in" and for returning students participating in certain campus organizations and activities, when the early return is requested by the organization adviser or activity sponsor and approved by the Office of Residential Life and Campus Activities.

What furniture is supplied?

Each student is supplied with a bed, mattress, a desk, a desk chair, a dresser, and a closet or wardrobe. Each room is also furnished with at least one mirror and a MicroFridge, a combination refrigerator and microwave.

How do I know the room dimensions?

We want to ensure the accuracy of any information that we share. Therefore, room dimensions are being verified and are currently not available on our website. We suggest that students wait until they get to campus to make some of their purchases so that they can view their room, talk with their roommate(s), and make the best choices for what to include in their space.

What size sheets should my student buy?

Your student will need extra-long (80 inch) twin sheets.

What items should my student think about bringing?

  • Alarm Clock
  • Bedding-sheets, pillow, pillowcase, blanket, mattress pad
  • Caddy to store/carry shower items
  • Desk lamp (no plastic shades allowed)
  • Desk supplies
  • Fan
  • Hand soap
  • Hangers
  • Headphones
  • Laundry detergent
  • Iron (although there are typically irons available in residence halls)
  • Laundry basket/bag
  • Sewing kit
  • Swimsuit
  • Telephone (Avoid 2.4 GHz cordless phones, as they can interfere with CC's wireless network.)
  • Towels and washcloths
  • UL-approved power strip with a surge protector
  • Umbrella
  • Wastebasket

Is there anything my student cannot bring?

  • Electrical Appliances (halogen lamps, electric blankets, space heaters, heat lamps)

  • Kitchen Appliances (The only things permitted are coffee pots with automatic shut-offs)
  • Flammable Items (Incense, candles, gasoline, propane, sterno, and hookahs)
  • Animals (No animals, other than fish or crustaceans that live underwater, are permitted.)
  • Excessive Amounts of Furniture (lofts, waterbeds, personal desks or beds)
  • Weapons (Guns, ammunition, pellet guns, air guns, smoke devices, bow and arrows, large knives, and fireworks)
  • Large Stereo Bass Units (Subwoofers). These create a loud disturbance to surrounding rooms. Stereos without these units are acceptable.

Are my student's personal items insured?

Please check your homeowner's or renter's insurance to see if it covers your student's property while they are away at school. The college does not take responsibility for students' personal belongings, even if personal items are damaged as a result of a facility issue. Students are strongly encouraged to obtain renter's insurance.

How much freedom does my student have to decorate his or her room?

We ask that students make common sense decisions and that they leave their room in the same condition in which they found it. It's always a good idea to check with hall staff before doing anything that might be permanent.

Are there kitchen facilities available? Irons? Vacuums?

All of the large residence halls have common area kitchens for student use. Irons, vacuums, and the like can be checked out from the front desk.

May my student bring an air conditioner?

Air conditioners are not permitted in the residence halls.

Where does my student do laundry?

Laundry facilities are provided in all college-owned residences.

Where can my student store his or her belongings over the summer?

Students are required to vacate their rooms and remove all belongings for summer break, as we have both academic and conference activity on campus over the summer and utilize all the residence halls for those purposes. Unfortunately, we do not provide on-campus storage for students. We simply don't have the space. Students are encouraged to take their belongings home with them.

If that is not an option, students can rent space in a local storage facility. Students who choose this option are responsible for packing and transporting their belongings to the storage facility prior to the posted closing of their residence hall. Students will often carpool with friends to accomplish this task. The two local cab companies, Pikes Peak Cab LLC and zTrip, can provide transportation for a fee. Please advise your student to let the cab company know in advance that they will be transporting boxes to a storage unit and will need a van.

Students and families who don't live within easy driving distance of Colorado College might consider the following companies which provide door-to-door summer storage and shipping services:

  • CSS (Colorado Student Storage) is an independent, locally-owned company. Read more here or call them at (888) 621-9680.
  • Dorm Room Movers is a national company. Read more here or call them at (888) 7-MYDORM (888-769-3676).

Disclaimer: Colorado College does not endorse any storage or shipping company and does not have responsibility for damaged or lost belongings.

Mail Services

Where can I send mail or packages to my student?

Colorado College's student mailing address for both mail and packages is:

[Student Name]
Colorado College Worner Box [WB#]
902 N. Cascade Avenue
Colorado Springs, CO 80946-[WB#]

Where is the campus mailroom located?

The mailroom is on the basement level of the Worner Center.

Can we ship belongings to campus ahead of New Student Orientation or the start of classes?

Yes. Incoming first year students who wish to ship items ahead of their arrival for classes may not have a Worner Box assigned to them until the end of August. In this case, please make sure that you put "Hold for incoming student" on the outside of the box and shipping label.

Parking and Transportation

Can first-year students bring cars to campus?

No, Colorado College does not allow first-year students to have a car on campus, and most students do not feel that they need one.

If my student has a car, where can he or she park?

As an urban campus bordered by residential neighborhoods, parking space in campus parking lots and on the streets surrounding campus is very limited. Permits are required for all student parking lots. Please contact the parking office with any questions about having a car on campus.

How can my student get around campus?

Our campus is compact enough that getting from one end to the other by foot takes only 10 minutes or so, but many students will choose to supplement walking with a bike or a skateboard. No matter which mode of transportation is used, we encourage all members of the campus community to use common sense and practice good personal safety techniques at all times, especially when crossing the main thoroughfares that go through campus.

Students are also encouraged to travel in groups of three or more, especially during the hours of darkness. However, when this is not possible, Colorado College provides a safe ride service for the immediate campus vicinity. The service is student-run and available to all campus community members free of charge.

If my student brings a bike to campus, where can it be stored?

We do not have enclosed, secured bike storage on campus. Students may keep their bicycles in the bike racks outside each residence hall or inside their individual rooms, if space permits. Storage in the residence hall hallways is not permitted due to fire regulations. If your student will store a bike outside, we encourage the use of a heavy-duty lock, such as a U-lock, to attach the bike to a rack at all times.

We also encourage students to register their bikes with our campus safety office. In the event that a bike is stolen, registration helps campus safety and the CSPD to track and possibly recover it. Unfortunately, bike theft on college campuses is not uncommon.

Is there a bike sharing program?

A public-private partnership between Downtown Ventures and the City of Colorado Springs has implemented PikeRide, a bike share system that serves downtown Colorado Springs. The phase one service area includes the Colorado College campus with bike stations located outside the Fine Arts Center and Tutt Library.

Is there a ride sharing or car sharing program?

Colorado College students operate a Facebook group, "CC Ride Share," which is available to any student who requests membership with a current Colorado College email address. We do not offer a car sharing program (e.g. Zipcar) on campus.

How can my student get around the Colorado Springs community?

Colorado College partners with Mountain Metro Transit to offer free transportation for CC students around Colorado Springs. All CC students can ride any of Mountain Metro Transit's set bus routes at no cost using their Gold Card!

Uber and Lyft are both also available in Colorado Springs, as well as a local taxi service.

Is there an airport shuttle?

Airport shuttles that depart from the Worner Campus Center are coordinated through the Worner Desk for Thanksgiving, Winter, Spring, and Summer breaks. The shuttles run during the afternoon on the day classes finish (typically a Wednesday) and then again the following day in the morning to both the Colorado Springs and Denver airports. Schedules will be advertised to students through the student digest. Reservations and payment are accepted at the Worner Desk. Group transportation is only provided for the beginning of a break. Return transportation is the responsibility of the student.

For all other breaks, transportation options for the Colorado Springs airport include, Uber, Lyft, and Ztrip (formerly Yellow Cab). Mountain Metro Transit, which is free for all students with their Gold Card, also has routes to the airport.

The Denver airport is served directly by Groome Transportation (formerly Colorado Springs Shuttle). Students also arrange their own carpools through the CC Ride Share Facebook group. The south line of Colorado's Bustang service runs from Colorado Springs to Denver's Union Station, where riders can then transfer to the A line of the light rail service to get from Union Station to the airport.


Providing an environment where all feel safe, supported, and empowered to learn, teach, and work is critical to our educational mission. Colorado College's Campus Safety department is committed to ensuring this environment for students, faculty, staff, and guests of the College by providing high quality service with excellent standards of personal integrity and ethics.

How safe is the campus?

Colorado College is located in a neighborhood that borders downtown Colorado Springs. The campus is in an urban setting and is not secluded. The college has historically been less susceptible to the types of violent crimes that are more prevalent in large cities. However, personal safety should not be taken for granted in any circumstance. We urge all members of the campus community to share in the responsibility for safeguarding our community.

How do I contact Campus Safety?

If you have an urgent concern that requires immediate attention, please call Campus Safety at (719) 389-6707, and your call will be directed to a campus on-call representative. In an emergency situation, please call Campus Safety's emergency line at (719) 389-6911.

Where is the Campus Safety office located?

The Campus Safety office is centrally located at 833 N Tejon St., on the southeast corner of Cache La Poudre St. and Tejon St. The office is open 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.

What is the staffing of the Campus Safety department?

The Campus Safety department consists of a five-member leadership team and 18 safety officers who patrol the campus by foot, on bikes, and in vehicles. Four shifts work 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. The Campus Safety department reports to the Vice-President for Student Life.

What safety programs and services are available on campus?

Several safety programs and services are available on campus, including a "Whistle Stop" program, "Safe Ride" program, "Self Defense" programs, "Emergency Call Box" program, "Safety Lighting" program, CPTED/Vulnerability Assessments, "VAT Student Contacts" program, "SARC" (Sexual Assault Response Coordinator), Security/Safety Tips over campus e-mail, Timely Warnings/Security Alert Notices and Flash Messages, and Residence Hall programs. All of these programs and services are described in the Campus Safety and Fire Safety Annual Security Report handbook which is disseminated annually to all staff and students.

What is Campus Safety's relationship with the Colorado Springs Police Department?

As part of our "blended model" of community policing, Colorado College has formed a cooperative relationship with the Colorado Springs Police Department (CSPD). A CSPD Campus Resource Officer is assigned to the college and is on campus during normal business hours. After hours, the CSPD assists in patrolling the campus, especially during times when there is a higher likelihood of incidents. For instance, on Friday and Saturday nights, CSPD officers patrol throughout the campus and the immediate surrounding neighborhoods.

Study Abroad

Over 80% of Colorado College students will study off-campus study off-campus for academic credit at least once during their undergraduate education here. Off-campus study is an academic endeavor that can add perspective, challenge, and insight into any area of study at Colorado College, for all majors and minors. The Center for Global Education and Field Study supports students who study off-campus, incoming international students, faculty who lead students on off-campus programs, and international faculty who require immigration services.

Report an issue - Last updated: 05/14/2021