Outdoor Education Center
- Kitchen appliances are Energy Star certified and use 20-30% less energy than standard appliances
- Lights are motion-sensored
- Placards explaining sustainable practices throughout building
- All-gender bathroom
- Bathrooms have compostable brown hand towels
- Floors in the kitchen and the bathrooms are made from renewable, natural linseed oil as opposed to petroleum-based vinyl linoleum
- The tile in the bathroom and kitchen is made from natural clay and recycled glass, rather than virgin glass.
- Our deck is made of 95% recycled plastic and is resistant to water and weathering, which means it will last longer than traditional wood
- Our tables in our meeting rooms & cabinets are made from bamboo
- Our cabinets are made from bamboo
- The gear house display and check-out table was made from a silver oak that was cut down on campus, wheat-board (wheat husks), and pine beetle kill boards.
- Hardwood floors were refinished
- Crown molding was maintained instead of being replaced
- Floors in the basement repurposed the 100+ year old concrete and simply grinded and polished them as opposed to putting a new material down
- 120 year old marble bathtub was repurposed to be the fireplace insert in the main boardroom.
- Whiteboards are made from recycled glass instead of plastic, which requires fossil fuels to produce
- All of the cork boards in offices are also made from recycled rubber
- Our deck furniture is made of recycled skis and snowboards, a great way of repurposing old outdoor equipment
- The kitchen countertops are made from recycled glass bottles
- The office furniture was repurposed from a business that no longer had a use for them
- Low-flow toilets and faucets
- Meditation walk that goes around our building that incorporates 3 different ecosystems that are found throughout the state of Colorado
- Xeriscape around the building is made up of all native and drought tolerant plants
- Plants watered using reclaimed water through a drip irrigation system
Bulk Food Pantry
- Quality organic bulk food at affordable prices
- Helps trips eat healthy while reducing unnecessary food waste and packaging
- Bag maker helps ensure exact proportions size and are a reusable source
The Ahlberg Gear House
- Focus on Reusing
- The Repair center offers a sewing machine, as well as ski tuning/waxing, and backpack repair
- Intentions behind our retail aim to cut down on emissions
- Recycling fuel bottles properly, hosting a gear swap, and having a guide book library and maps for tools are some ways the Gear House aims to be green
The Ritt Kellogg Climbing Wall
- Repurpose retired ropes
- Implement reusable route description cards
- Equipment free to borrow for students
- Sanitizer offered at Ritt Kellogg Climbing Gym
- Vinegar is used to clean holds
- Reused water is also used for cleaning purposes
The Co-op: Bike & Ski
- Teaches others how to repair their own bikes and skis
- Reuse/recycle tubes
- Donate extra materials to art department
The Ahlberg Gear House, Bike & Ski Co-op, and Ritt Kellogg Climbing Gym are closed until the end of Block 2. Updated operating hours will be posted once facilities reopen.
Please email email@example.com if you need assistance or have any questions.
To join our email list and get program updates sent directly to your inbox, fill out this form.
Outdoor Education Center
MON - FRI: 9am-5pm
To keep our staff safe, we are trying to limit the number of drop-in visitors to the building. Please contact us at the phone number or email address below to set up an appointment. Thank you!
Phone: (719) 389-6803
931 N. Nevada Ave
Colorado Springs, CO 80903