Prospector and Interlibrary Loan (posted May 28, 2019)
Prospector services are currently unavailable for Colorado College users, but we can still get materials from other libraries using Interlibrary Loan (ILL). Please see the instructions below.
Colorado College is currently upgrading to the next generation of library system software, and we are waiting for the Prospector software company to write some new code for us. Once that process is complete we will regain access to Prospector. Unfortunately we have no control over how long that will take, but we hope to be back with Prospector in the fall of 2019.
How to sign up for ILL
Unlike Prospector, you will need to sign up for a separate account for ILL. ILL services are free of charge and available for CC faculty, students, staff, and alumni. If you need help creating an account, please consult the Tutt Library Research Desk.
How to request books through ILL
The best way to request books is by searching for what you want in WorldCat. If you search from on the CC campus or use the library's links to WorldCat and log in from off-campus, when you click on the record for a book you will see a link saying “Click here for ILL” under the information about the book. Once you click there and log in to your ILL account, an ILL request should be generated for you. Review it and click “Submit Request.”
We can’t promise how long it will take to receive a book through ILL since so much depends on the other library and the mail. When the book arrives, we will hold it for you at the Tutt Library Circulation Desk and notify you by email.
What is Prospector?
Prospector is a unified catalog of academic, public and special libraries in Colorado and Wyoming. Through Prospector you have access to over 30 million books and other materials held in these libraries, subject to availability.
Prospector may be used to obtain library materials for study and research that are not available at Colorado College but are available from other participating Prospector Libraries.
Where is Prospector?
Prospector loans may be picked up or returned at the Circulation Desk.
Who May Use Prospector?
Prospector services are available to current CC students, faculty, staff and administration. Alumni may not request books through Prospector.
- Books, government documents, theses, music and some videos may be borrowed, depending on the lending library’s policies. Please note: Videos and DVDs may be difficult to acquire, as many libraries will not lend.
- Some materials reproduced in microform, such as newspapers, may be borrowed, depending on the lending library’s policies.
- Items temporarily in use/checked out, missing from Tutt Library, sent temporarily to the bindery, or on order for the library may be requested.
Materials NOT Available
The following types of materials cannot normally be obtained through Prospector:
- Materials to be placed on course reserve
- Multiple copies of the same title for one person
- Periodical volumes
- Bulky or fragile items
- Reference books
- Rare or valuable material such as manuscripts
Replacement for Lost or Damaged Items
Items will be billed at the Amazon price chosen by the library and a $25 processing fee. Replacement charges for bound journals from Pascal (storage) are set at $400 and items borrowed from The Center for Research Libraries (CRL) can be as high as $1000. Faculty members who check out and then loan Prospector items to students are responsible for the return or cost to replace them.
Requesting Prospector Materials
All requests must be submitted online by using the “REQUEST THIS ITEM” function in Prospector.
Please contact the Research Desk at (719) 389-6662 for a quick review of and/or help with submitting a request.
If an item in our TIGER Catalog shows status as in but is not on the shelf, ask a Circulation Supervisor to change the status to “on search.”
Allow at least three to five working days to receive materials. The time taken for Prospector materials to arrive depends upon the availability of the item, and the lending library’s workload and travel time.
When Prospector items arrive, you are notified via e-mail that you may pick them up at the Circulation Desk.
Loan Periods and Renewals
- The loan period is 21 days from time of checkout.
- Loan periods DO NOT follow the CC Block Plan. Please be aware of the due dates.
- One 21 day renewal is permitted. You may renew online through View your Record.
All Prospector items must be returned to the Circulation Desk by the due date. Please leave any book bands attached.
Late return, lost of, or the poor care of materials jeopardizes the ability of our library to borrow items from other libraries for you in the future.
Overdues and Fines
- Library privileges are blocked when an item is three weeks overdue.
- Replacement: Current Amazon price for a new item and $ 25.00 non-refundable processing fee.
For assistance or questions, please contact:
Circulation Services Coordinator