Email and Network Account Expiration Policy
In keeping with the college’s responsibility to ensure policies and procedures are in place that will minimize the disclosure of private information or the unwanted release and distribution of sensitive data, these guidelines outline procedures on the termination of employee network accounts.
- Responsible office
- Information Technology Services
- Responsible party
- Vice president for information technology/Chief technology officer
- Last revision
- December 2015
- Approved by
- The Cabinet
- Approval date
- August 2013
- Effective date
- August 2013
- Last review
- August 2013
- Additional references
All financial and administrative policies involving community members across campus are within the scope of this policy. If there is variance between departmental expectations and the common approach described through college policy, the college will look to the campus community to support the spirit and the objectives of college policy.
Unused email and network accounts
Alumni and retiree email and network accounts that have not been directly accessed for six consecutive months will be expired and deleted. Alumni and retirees should log in through the CC website (the “Sign into CC” link) at least once every six months to prevent expiration.
Employee resignations (voluntary)
- Access to all college network resources including email, network drives, and databases will end at close of business on the last day of employment.
- Supervisors are responsible for communicating with the departing employee about the account termination policy and should work with the employee to transfer work-related information to the supervisor or applicable college employees.
Employee terminations (involuntary)
- Access to all college network resources including email, network drives, and databases will end immediately upon termination.
- The supervisor will be given access to the departing employee’s email account and network drives to retain relevant work information.
- The supervisor will use his or her access to forward incoming email to another account and set up an automatic reply notifying that the employee no longer works at the college and all email is being forwarded to another person.
- Retired employees (including faculty with emeriti status) may choose to retain their CC email accounts. Retiree accounts will be modified to note the retired status, but the email address and login information will remain the same. An auto-reply announcing the retirement is recommended.
- Access to other college business resources including network drives will end after 30 days.
- Student network drives are deleted upon graduation.
- Alumni can keep their email accounts for as long as they wish, but inactive accounts will be expired and deleted (see “unused accounts” above).
The Information Security Officer must approve any exceptions to the above policy.