WES supports scholars through participation in a number of events throughout the academic year, including teas, receptions, luncheons, art shows, theatrical performances, scholar athletic events, and fundraising efforts.
Sept. 14, 2019: Historic Van Briggle Pottery Festival & Tour, 1125 Glen Ave., Colorado Springs, CO 80904
9 a.m. to 3 p.m., hour-long tours take place every 20 minutes. Tours are $15; free for children under 14 accompanied by an adult. Timed tickets go on sale on Friday, Sept. 13 from 3 p.m. to 5 p.m. at the Van Briggle Pottery Building. Proceeds fund WES scholarships and scholar programs at Colorado College.
- Hear Anne Van Briggle’s account of the founding of Van Briggle Pottery.
- View artifacts found on-site and learn about the history of the architecture and its preservation after the purchase by Colorado College.
- Step into Anne Van Briggle’s studio where Van Briggle collectors and experts will display and discuss work produced by the studio. Patrons may bring their Van Briggle Pottery pieces for review; we will not authenticate pieces this year.
- Bemis School of Art potters will have a wheel throwing booth ($5 for a 10-minute lesson) staffed by Bemis students and members of the Colorado College Collaborative Clay Club. The experience is a child-friendly event, complete with an archaeological dig and a sculpting area where folks can get hands-on with clay!
- The Horticultural Arts Society Fall Bulb Sale will be held in the Heritage Gardens, adjacent to the pottery.
- Festival partners will have information tables - visit with representatives from the McAllister House, the Manitou Springs Heritage Center and the Friends of Monument Valley Park. WES will have a table with Van Briggle literature for sale and a silent auction is being planned.
WES is co-presenting the festival with the Colorado Springs Fine Arts Center at Colorado College Bemis School of Art.
April 24, 2019: Annual Luncheon, Taste Restaurant, Colorado Springs Fine Arts Center at Colorado College
April 3, 2019: "Ghosts of the Past" by Dr. Fawn-Amber Montoya, Worner Center
March 17-21, 2019: WES/PILLAR Trip: Wings over the Platte
March 2, 2019: Annual International Women’s Day Celebration, The Pinery.
Feb. 7, 2019: Colorado Experience: Fannie Mae Duncan. Directed by: Kate Perdoni, Hillside Community Center
Jan. 17, 2019: Book Talk with Cai Emmons, author of “Weather Woman”
Dec. 13, 2018: WES Cookie Festival, Cossitt Hall
Sept. 15, 2018: Historic Van Briggle Pottery Festival & Tour
June 7, 2018: Board Meeting, Woman's Club
April 29 to May 5, 2018: WES/PILLAR Trip, Unique Utah and SW Colorado
May 3, 2018: Board Meeting, Woman's Club
Cookies and Not-So-Ugly Sweaters
One of our scholar-favorites, the WES Cookie Exchange took place Dec. 13, 2018, during the busy third week of Block 4. Board members each provided three dozen cookies, and they delivered (while wearing festive attire)!
This was a great community-building event, and we got to hear a lot of updates from our scholars, who are poised to do many exciting things next semester, following their fun and relaxing Winter Break.