It is possible that your application will or already has been selected for review in a process called “Verification.”
If you are selected for verification stay calm. All you need to do is provide the documentation our office asks for as soon as possible, or you may not be able to get financial aid.
- You are not being accused of doing anything wrong. The selection made by the Department of Education for verification is random.
- In this process, the Financial Aid Office will be comparing information from your application with 2017 tax return information submitted to the IRS for you and your parents.
- The law states we have the right to ask you for this information before disbursing financial aid.
- If there are differences between your application information and your financial documents, you or the college may need to make corrections electronically to your FAFSA.
Documents that may be required:
- 2019-20 Verification Worksheet
- Verification Worksheets for 2019-20
- If you used the Internal Revenue Service Data Retrieval Tool (IRS DRT) when filling out your FAFSA form, you may not have to verify that information.
- If you did not use the IRS DRT, or if you filed an amended tax return and used the IRS DRT, our office may require you to submit a tax transcript as part of the verification process.
- Online IRS Get Transcript Request - to receive IRS information online or by mail
- Call IRS at (800) 908-9946 - to receive IRS information by mail
*If one did not file a 2017 tax return, please complete the non-filing statement worksheet
3. Additional Forms
[Financial Aid Unplugged]. (2015, January 10). Were You Selected for FAFSA Verification? [Video File]. Retrieved from https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pa7w6qX8jFw
Office of Financial Aid & Student Employment
Fax: (719) 389-6173
14 E. Cache La Poudre St
Spencer Center, 1st Floor
Colorado Springs, CO 80903
Hours of operation: Mon - Fri, 8:30am-5:00pm