Page Settings

  • Show menu: true
  • Use horizontal menu: true
  • Show sidebar: left
  • Skip to main content

    Resources for Students

    On this Page: Undergraduate Research, Jobs, and Funding Opportunities

    3 Flammulated Owlets

    Undergraduate Research Opportunities

    Many faculty take research students during the academic year and summer. Check the People page for links to faculty webpages and descriptions of their research interests. If you are interested in working with a professor, contact them directly. 

    A.     Supervised Research Blocks in Organismal Biology and Ecology at CC (BE309/409) Students are encouraged to engage in supervised research through enrollment in BE309/409 and other programs. Talk to your advisor or a faculty member carrying out research in which you are interested for more information.

    Research in OBE blocks (BE309 or BE409) allow students opportunities to pursue a research project under supervision of an experienced scientist for credit. Projects are designed and supervised with the help of a faculty member whose expertise and interests are related to the project. Faculty specialties are described on the web. Projects may be done at any time, but credit is awarded in a single block. [Students may also sign-up for BE309 or 409 extended format for one-half unit of credit.] Not more than a total of 2 units from BE309, 409, 499 or independent study from off-campus programs can be used toward the OBE major, and only 1 unit of independent research from an off campus program may be applied to the major. Begin talking with a faculty member in the area of your interest before you consider enrolling in BE309 or BE409. A faculty member must agree to work with you before you can register for BE309/409. If a faculty member agrees to supervise your research and is not scheduled for BE309 or BE409 Research in OBE that block, the Registrar will create a course for you. Talk with your faculty research advisor to find out if you should register for BE309 or BE409 (generally BE309 if you are a junior and BE409 if you are a senior). Also remember that you need to petition the department to get a BE409 block recognized as a senior capstone course (see Appendix VI). Please note: BE309 cannot count as a capstone course.

    It is possible that you will need to apply for a Venture Grant to help fund a research project. Venture Grant applications also have a deadline (the 2nd Friday of each block), and typically the grants must be awarded before you begin the research. Check with your faculty research advisor to find out if you should write a Venture Grant. See below for details about Venture grants. Students who receive Venture Grant funding must present their work publicly, for example at OBE Day. We strongly encourage all BE309 and BE409 students to present their research in the form of a poster on OBE Day. Talk to your advisor about this opportunity.

    B.     Senior Thesis (BE499) Students planning professional careers requiring research experience are encouraged to complete a senior thesis. Select an area of concentration in the sophomore or junior year.  Research performed in BE309 or 409 can be the basis of a thesis.  Students may sign-up for one full block of BE499 or for an entire year of BE499 extended format (must be initiated by the beginning of block 1 for the senior year). See the OBE Handbook's section on Senior Thesis for details.
    C.     Off-campus - Research Experience for Undergraduates (REU) The National Science Foundation awards REU grants to universities and field stations, which in turn fund undergraduate research, mainly during summers. These typically provide room and board and a stipend for about 10 weeks.  These are usually excellent quality programs, and a number of students have written senior theses based on REU experiences. Institutions award REU grants to students based on applications, which are due mostly in February and March with some as late as early May. Search the web (search for NSF REU programs), or sign up for the EV/BIO listserv and check the OBE department web pages. (Note that applications for these positions are usually due in January or February, so you should work on them during December.)
    D.     Designing an ecological study. OBE faculty have compiled a document of considerations when designing an ecological study. This may prove useful to students looking to propose their own research project as well as in the classroom setting. Find it here.

    Job Opportunities 

    A. Jobs After Graduation
    (i) The Ecological Society of America has a series of articles describing various careers in ecology and organismal biology beyond doing research.  These include restoration, film-making, museums and zoos, science writing, working in federal agencies, and many others.  To see these career options, browse info at 
    B. Internships The OBE Department hosts two listservs, which list internships (mostly summer), research opportunities (mostly summer), and graduate school opportunities.

    i. Ornithological jobs lists avian jobs online or join the bird jobs listserv:

    ii. EVINTERNSHIPS lists ecology, field & lab biology, conservation, and evolutionary biology opportunities: 

    iii. LABJOBS contains lab biology opportunities to subscribe or to unsubscribe from one of these listservs:

    If you want to change the email address to which the postings are sent, unsubscribe with the old address and subscribe with the new address.

    B .   Blumenstein Internship: The Charlie Blumenstein Water and Wildlife Conservation Internship

    Charlie Blumenstein '96, was passionate about the environment and conservation of water resources. He credited his informal, out-of-classroom, extra-curricular field experiences with his decision to become a hydrogeologist and to devote his professional life to the improvement of our water resources.

    It is the desire of the Blumenstein family and friends who contributed to the Fund to provide an internship experience that could be instrumental in influencing the professional path of a student, or for whom such an experience might spark a life-long interest in the environment and conservation in much the same way it did for Charlie. Learn more about the internship here!

    C.     Department Opportunities - Not for Academic Credit The OBE Department offers a tutoring program. Junior and senior OBE majors are available to assist students in all core classes in the department. Students wishing to participate in the program can obtain the names and phone numbers of tutors either from flyers posted in their classroom or from the OBE paraprofessionals. Those students needing to be tutored should keep in mind that finding an available tutor takes time and planning. The student must find a tutor who is available and the tutor must contact the paraprofessional in charge of the program before a tutoring session can be scheduled. Students who call a tutor the night before an exam should not expect to be tutored that evening. If you are worried about a particular class but are not positive that you will require the assistance of a tutor, call a few tutors to determine who will be available that block and will best fit your needs. Students interested in earning some extra money, and who are interested in a teaching career or graduate school are encouraged to become a department tutor. For information on becoming a tutor please contact the OBE paraprofessional.

    Students ID plants

    NOTE:     All Students who work and receive wages from the OBE Department budget must fill out the proper form in the Financial Aid Office before they can be hired.  Final selection of students for department jobs will be made by the OBE Department.


    Funding for Undergraduate Work

    Aside from The Colorado College student aid program, there are other available funds for financial assistance in this department.

    A.     Venture Grants. The Venture Grant Committee awards funds for research projects under the guidance of a professor. Funds may also be granted to permit students and faculty to attend scientific meetings and conferences. Venture Grant applications are due the 2nd Friday of each block. Application forms and further information are available in the Dean's office.

    B.     Departmental BudgetLIMITED FUNDS are available to assist students in conducting BE309/409 research.

    C.     Robert M. Stabler Award. This permanently endowed fund was established to honor Dr. Stabler who was chair of Biology for many years. It is awarded annually, preferably to a junior OBE major for summer study at a marine Biology station. The amount of money awarded depends on the cost of the program and financial need. Some of the money may also be requested, on a financial-need basis, to partially offset extra costs of international field programs, e.g. courses in Patagonia and Belize. See the department office for application procedures and details.

    D.     Research Assistants. Faculty members may have research grants to hire students to assist in specific research projects. See individual faculty for further information.