The Gap Experience – A Bridge to a Different Path
Each year, approximately 30 admitted students elect to delay the start of their Colorado College education by designing and pursuing a year-long adventure of their own making. An additional 40 students admitted to our Winter Start program will embark on a personalized semester-long gap experience in the fall before reuniting with their classmates in January to enroll in their first block.
If you're considering a year-long or semester-long gap experience, whether your gap plan is built on US soil or abroad, or both, we are likely to support your gap request because we believe that making a difference in the lives of others will make a difference in your own personal and intellectual growth.
Read more about our gap year option or semester-long opportunities for students admitted to our Winter Start program. We encourage you to write to us at firstname.lastname@example.org if you don't find the information you need.
The Gap Year Option
CC students define their path to an education as a lifelong journey rather than an event that has its beginning when they arrive on campus and ends when they graduate. While there are a multitude of personal reasons students cite for pursuing a gap experience, each tends to point to a quest for experiential learning that isn't found in the confines of a classroom. From accepting a structured public service role with a local organization to investigating global health and social problems abroad, the transformative lessons they learn and bring back to our campus will enrich the CC experience for all.
Students admitted under our Early Action, Early Decision, or Regular Action programs may submit a gap year request to delay their enrollment for one year. Students admitted to the Winter Start Program are not eligible to apply for a gap year.
The Gap Year Request
Your gap year plan does not have to be in its final stage at the time you submit your request. Think of your gap year request as a thoughtful proposal that you genuinely intend to fulfill but may require some modification(s) at a later date.
All individual gap year requests are reviewed and approved by the director of admission. As you draft your proposed gap year plan, be sure to answer the following questions before submitting your request electronically to the director of admission at email@example.com.
- Include your personal contact information with your request.
- Explain why you want to delay enrollment at Colorado College for one year.
- Describe the proposed and important part(s) of your gap year plan.
- Provide a simple timeline, in bullet format, of your gap year plan.
- Limit your request to 500 words or less.
We will routinely approve any request provided you satisfy the following requirements.
- You submit the request at any time after receiving your admission notification.
- Submit your request on or before May 1 of the year you're admitted to Colorado College.
- Complete and submit your enrollment agreement form online at ccbasecamp.com.
- Submit the required $250 enrollment deposit.
- In the month of February of your gap year, you agree to complete an electronic survey acknowledging that you intend to enroll at Colorado College in the fall. In addition, we'll ask for an update of your gap year experience. After we receive your completed survey, you will receive confirmation of your guaranteed seat in the incoming first-year class.
- As a condition of approval, you are not permitted to enroll as a degree-seeking student at a different college or university during your gap year.
- You agree to send at least one postcard to the director from the farm where you work, the city where you dwell, or the far away land where you traveled.
- You agree to enroll at Colorado College after you complete your gap year.
Colorado College Financial Aid Assistance
Students approved for a gap year and awarded need-based financial aid must reapply for financial assistance by submitting these required forms by their published deadlines. Completing and submitting these forms will require careful planning and scheduling since the forms must be submitted while pursuing your gap year. Learn more about need-based financial aid options.
In most cases, students selected for and awarded a Colorado College merit-based scholarship will have this merit-based award reinstated upon their enrollment at CC. We encourage you to inquire about your specific merit award by writing to the Financial Aid Office at firstname.lastname@example.org.