Weddings and Unions
The chapel is open from 8am to 9pm Monday-Friday during the academic year; please call ahead for the summer schedule. You are welcome to come by without an appointment to view the chapel, and as long as there is not an event in progress, to walk through any open space. If you wish to pursue a reservation, you may schedule a meeting with the Chaplains' Office Manager, Brandy Lachocki, during weekday office hours. Brandy will be happy to show you around the chapel, discuss lighting and sound system options, and address any other concerns or questions you have. Reservations may also be made over the phone by calling 719-389-6638 or via email at firstname.lastname@example.org
A wedding at Shove Chapel costs $1200.00. A $300 non-refundable deposit is due within two weeks of your wedding reservation to secure the date and time. Reservations are not guaranteed unless the deposit has been received and confirmed. The balance of $900 is due two months before the wedding date. This fee includes:
- four hours of chapel use: three hours on the day of the wedding (1½ hours prior to and 1½ hours after the start of the wedding ceremony) and one hour for the rehearsal, usually held the afternoon or evening prior to the day of the ceremony;
- the logistical services of a wedding assistant at the rehearsal and the wedding;
- any sound system or amplification equipment desired, including stand microphones, a wireless lapel microphone for the officiant, and CD player or iPod/laptop hookup for any recorded music;
- the use of the grand piano and any chancel furniture (table, lectern, pulpit);
For CC-affiliated persons (bride, groom, or parents/grandparents on either side are alumni, currently matriculated, or currently employed at CC), a wedding costs $300.00. For CC-affiliated weddings, payment of the fee of $200 is requested within two weeks of your wedding reservation to secure the date and time.
An additional charge may be assessed if the reserved times are exceeded by anyone in your party, including photographers and ministers. If you feel it might be necessary, you can reserve an extra hour of time for your ceremony in advance for $200.
A reservation for a wedding at Shove Chapel does not include the services of an officiant.
Weddings are usually held on Saturdays during the day and early evening. Other days of the week are possible when they are compatible with the chapel and college schedules. Weekday weddings are difficult to schedule during the academic year.
Wedding rehearsals are usually held during the afternoon or evening prior to the day of the ceremony.
Especially in spring and summer months, wedding scheduling is very tight, with several weddings each weekend! For this reason, it is very important that your rehearsal and your wedding ceremony begin and end at the designated times. Decorating prior to your reserved time is not allowed.
Please do your best to make sure all of the participants are here on time and that everyone in your party exits the chapel promptly at the end of your reserved times.
- Adjustable gold 7-candle candelabras with dripless candles included are available for rent for $20 each. "Pewlabras" are available from local florists or rental companies.
- The wedding party is responsible for securing the services of an officiant, musicians, photographer, and florist.
- Use of the pipe organ must be arranged with the Chaplains' Office Manager (please see below).
- Limousines, carriages, special vehicles, and those vehicles carrying handicapped or elderly individuals may pull into the curved driveway on the east side of the chapel (off Nevada Avenue) and remain there during the ceremony.
- Only bubbles are permitted outside after the wedding. No rice, birdseed, streamers, or paper/silk products of any kind are permitted.
- Please do not put flame candles on the floor of the center aisle.
- No consumption of alcoholic beverages is allowed inside the chapel or on the adjacent grounds.
- The Chaplains’ Office and Colorado College are not responsible for any personal items of the wedding party or guests, or decorations of the florist or rental company, that are left unattended in the chapel before, during or after the ceremony.
- The total seating capacity of the chapel is 987. The main lower section seats about 600. There are 38 pews on each side of the center aisle.
- The Pilgrim (side) Chapel seats about 49 people.
- The aisle is 110 feet long.
- The carved wood altar table is 93 inches long.
Organists and Fees
There are generally four parts of wedding music planning for which fees may be charged:
- Musical consultation at the Chapel organ ($50 per hour): The organist discusses music choices for the wedding, normally by phone and/or with an audio tape.
- Soloist rehearsal ($50 per rehearsal): The organist has a working rehearsal (usually about an hour long) with the soloist(s) to set tempos and balance and to perfect the presentation.
- Wedding rehearsal ($75): The organist is present at the wedding rehearsal to play the processional and recessional.
- Wedding ($225): The organist plays for the wedding, including a 15 to 20 minute pre-service recital, processional, recessional, and/or incidental organ music during the service.
A list of organists approved to play the Shove organ for weddings will be provided upon request. Financial arrangements for payment are an agreement made between the musician and the wedding party.
As an interfaith chapel, we welcome spiritual leaders and lay ministers from all traditions. Couples may choose who they wish to officiate their wedding. If you are affiliated with a specific tradition, we encourage you to consult with the leadership of your tradition. Colorado College chaplains do not usually officiate weddings held at Shove Chapel, unless they have a personal relationship with the couple. A list of celebrants who may be available to perform weddings at Shove Chapel is available from the Chaplains’ Office Manager.