Skip to main content area Skip to institutional navigation Skip to sub-navigation

Student Employment

Quick Reference

for students & supervisors STUDENT EMPLOYMENT HANDBOOK
for students & supervisors PAYROLL CALENDAR

for supervisors

for students STUDENT EMPLOYMENT FORMS (I-9, W-4)
for students JOB LISTINGS PAGE

Student Employment Overview

Most, but not all, students receive work-study or institutional employment as part of their financial aid award. Federal and Colorado governments provide employment funding (work-study) to the college for eligible students. Because of these funding sources, the college asks campus employers to give first priority in hiring to students with federal or state work-study eligibility, or to students who have institutional student employment as part of their financial aid award. Students who do not have work-study are not eligible to work during Block 1.

Students with work-study or institutional employment awards should seek out employment opportunities within the first block of the semester, which is the priority period. After this time, campus jobs are available to any student regardless of their financial aid status.

The student employment award is part of the self-help expectation in the student's financial aid package. We award the typical amount a student could earn during the on-campus enrollment period. Student employment awards are wages earned for work accomplished. Students only receive these funds if they actually become employed.

Work-study and student employment earnings are received via check or direct deposit to your personal savings or checking account. Remember that earnings from campus employment do not credit directly to your student account.

The college has a limited number of off-campus community service work-study placements available only to students who are eligible for federal or state work-study. Students are placed in direct service positions with nonprofit community service agencies or school districts. These jobs are posted on the student employment job listings.

2015 Summer jobs (05/22/15 through 08/21/15): You must be a current student planning to enroll in the Fall 2015 in order to be employed.

2015-2016 Fall/Spring jobs (08/22/15 through 05/21/16): You must be a current student and enrolled at least half-time in order to be employed.

INTERNATIONAL STUDENTS are allowed to work only up to 20 hours per week while school is in session. During winter, spring, or summer break, international students can work up to 40 hours per week.

How To Find A Job

The college makes every effort to provide an employment opportunity, but the student is responsible for finding a job. Students must be enrolled at least half time to be able to work. Some, but not all,  employment positions are posted and can be viewed on the student job listings page. We highly encourage student seeking a job to walk around the campus to see if any department is hiring.

After Finding A Job

Once you are hired but before you start working, you must:

 1) Complete I-9 (Employment Eligibility Verification) and W-4 (Employee Withholding Allowance Certificate) forms. It is a federal requirement that you complete this paperwork after you are hired, but before working any hours. You need to do this only once during your time at CC. Pick up the forms from the Financial Aid Office (Spencer Center, 1st floor) or open and print them from the website (see above). Once completed, return these forms to Financial Aid.

If you are interested in receiving your earnings via direct deposit, please print out the Direct Deposit form and drop it off either in the Financial Aid or Payroll Office.


 2) Have your supervisor fill out an electronic Student Employment Referral Form. Please provide your supervisor with your full name and CC ID #.  This electronic student employment referral form confirms your employment and your rate of pay. You are not permitted to work until your supervisor submits this form electronically to Financial Aid.  (A new electronic employment referral form must be completed for every job, every year).

Logging Your Hours

To log in your hours and submit timesheets, you must log in to Self-Service Banner, click on Employee tab, and then choose Timesheet. From the drop down menu, select the correct pay period and start entering your hours. You can also view this video for instructions: Timesheet Video. For any timesheet questions, please contact the Student Employment Coordinator, Colleen Smith, in the Financial Aid Office: 719-389-6908.

Please remember that timesheets MUST be submitted to your supervisor by the deadline given on the Payroll Calendar. Failure to do so will cause your paycheck/direct deposit to be delayed and you may be in a risk of losing your job.

You may notice a time when a timesheet is no longer available. This happens right after the pay period's end in order for the Payroll Office to process these timesheets. The timesheets will re-open eventually, but it is crucial to submit your timesheets on time! CC policy states that all hourly employees of the college must submit to their supervisor all hours worked during a pay period within 2 days of its end.      

Getting Paid

Colorado College pays student employees on semi-monthly basis. Checks or direct deposits go out on the 15th and 30th of each month. If you do not submit your timesheet on time, you will not get paid on time and rather will have to wait until the next pay date.

Paychecks will be delivered to your Worner box if you do not have direct deposit set up or to your designated bank account if direct deposit is set up.

It is the student's responsibility to be sure to submit all necessary paperwork in order to get paid. If you find ANY job on campus (RA, FYE mentor, Lifeguard, etc.), you must make sure that you have student employment paperwork on file before starting your job.

For complete information about Student Employment, please read through the Student Employment Handbook posted above.