Types of Grants
The Divisional Executive Committees will fund two types of projects.
The first type is Faculty Research Projects. These projects may be undertaken in summer or during the academic year. Research project funding includes:
- Expenses for travel (not local), and a per diem that covers living expenses, secretarial assistance, daily transportation, copying charges, telephone, supplies, etc.
- Additional expenses: such expenses might include lab or field supplies, necessary equipment (including computer hardware and software), costs for taking courses, attending performances, visiting museums, purchasing data sets, off-site analyses, etc.
- Expenses for student stipends, for projects involving student participation which are not supported by regular department budgets.
The second type of project funded by the Divisional Executive Committees is faculty attendance at second conferences or professional meetings. (The Dean’s office covers attendance at the first conference.) See Budget link for information on funding for conference expenses.
The following items are not covered by Research and Development support
- Research or study salaries or similar stipends for faculty members
- Sabbatical supplementary salary payments (although certain research expenses may be covered during a sabbatical).
- Release time or costs for teaching replacements.
- Expenses associated with work toward an advanced degree.
- Student projects unrelated to the faculty member's research program.