Breaks and Non-Regular Housing

Role of Conduct Violations

Students who have been involved in more severe or repeated conduct violations may not be permitted to stay in the residence halls during breaks, as an early arrival, or as an extended stay. The RLC may determine this based on the number of staff available over the break as well as the severity of the conduct violation(s). Students who are not enrolled in CC courses but have a legitimate academic reason to stay in their residence may petition for this option by contacting the area coordinator.

Entering Rooms during Breaks

If a student needs to gain access to their room during a break, they may contact safety and may be escorted into the building. There is a $50 fine for entering a building during a break. No student is allowed to stay in their room. Staff will enter rooms at least once during each break to check for health and safety risks that may occur while the facilities are not being occupied at their usual rate. Staff may enter occupied rooms at reasonable hours during early arrival housing and extended stay housing to prepare for opening and closing the buildings.

Early Arrival Housing

Only students who are officially approved by either 1) the athletics department as a student athlete who needs to be on campus for practice or 2) NSO staff as a necessary part of NSO may receive early arrival housing if they have room assignment on campus for that upcoming fall. The sponsoring faculty or staff member must provide the student's name and information to the department of residential life by June 30 to be eligible for housing. Early arrival housing is assigned on a first-come, first-served basis. Students are required to uphold the usual policies as well as additional policies which they will receive upon check in. In addition to these policies, students could also have a heightened conduct response for policy violations.

Winter Break

All residential buildings close during winter break, with the exception of the Western Ridge Apartments. Students must vacate their buildings by noon the day after classes end 4th block. Students may return to the buildings after 8am on the day before classes begin for half-block.

Spring Break

All residential buildings close during spring break, with the exception of the Western Ridge Apartments, Synergy House, Interfaith House, and 1010 N. Weber. Students must vacate their rooms by noon the day after classes end 6th block. Students may return to the buildings after 8am on the Sunday before classes begin for 7th block.

Half Block

Students who will be in the same room for the full year may stay in their rooms during half-block. Students who are not enrolled in spring semester courses, or who will not be living in the same room during second semester, must vacate their rooms and check out by the date and time that the halls close for winter break.

Extended Stay

Students who are graduating seniors or are necessary participants in graduation activities may request to stay late in on-campus housing, until noon the day after the graduation ceremony. Students are not assured to be able to stay in their own rooms and may be required to change rooms by noon on the day after classes end 8th block. Students must follow the published process to request extended stay housing, and it is not automatically granted. Students are required to uphold the usual policies as well as additional policies which they will receive from their RLC

Checking In / Out

Checking In

Each student is required to officially check-in before occupying a space so that the college has record of this in the case of a crisis or emergency. To complete the check-in process, each student must pick up their key at the front desk and sign the key card as well as complete and sign the room/apartment inventory and any other paperwork provided. The room inventory serves as a tool for students and staff to track any damage/vandalism in a room. It is the responsibility of each student to make sure the form accurately reflects the condition of the room at that time, and to sign to verify that. If a student does not complete this form by the date set by the RLC, they will be held responsible for damages found at move-out, and could receive an improper check-in fee.

Checking Out

Our department emails students with check out information during blocks 5 and 8. If a student is planning to vacate their assigned space, they will need notify the room assignments manager of the date intending to leave. All students must follow the process below unless a different agreement has been made by the dean of students or his/her designee due to extreme circumstances.

  • Ensure that the room assignments coordinator is aware of the move-out date
  • Remove all belongings and trash from the room/apartment
  • Thoroughly clean the room/apartment
  • Make an appointment with the RA to review the room inventory or inform the RA that express check out will be used
  • Review room inventory and learn about potential damages
  • Lock the door
  • Turn in key at front desk and sign key card

If a student leaves any belongings in a room/apartment, these items will be discarded and residential life is not responsible for any damage that occurs to these items. If a student does not follow the check-out process, they will still be held responsible for damages found in the room.

Express Check Out

Express check out is a process that enables students to skip the room inspection with their student staff member. The room is still inspected, but it is inspected after the student leaves. By participating in express check out, the student should recognize that their likeliness in having a damage appeal granted may be more difficult because they were not present to be able to discuss or attempt to remedy the concerns.

  • The room/apartment must be completely clean before using express check out.
  • Express check out is not available at winter break closing, except in Western Ridge apartments.
  • Express check out is only suggested for students who leave at odd hours of the day or night and also do not anticipate they will be billed for any room or apartment damages. Express check out is not recommended for individuals who believe they may have damage charges.

If a student is interested in the express check-out process, they must get an express check-out envelope from the front desk, inform the student-staff member of their intention and approximate check-out date and time, complete the necessary information on the envelope, completely clean room or apartment, remove all belongings, and leave the key(s) in the envelope in the box provided at the front desk.

Due to the complexity of issues in the apartments, express check out is not recommended. Students are responsible for signing up during one of the provided times to check out of the apartment. All roommates should check out at the same time if possible.


When college staff encounter an item that is prohibited or is being stored in a location where it is not permitted, they may confiscate the item. When possible, residents who are possessing/using alcohol in ways that are outside the standards of college will be asked to dispose of it in front of the staff member.

Some confiscated items may be returned to students at the end of the semester (or earlier if approved by the residential life coordinator) provided that the student removes the item from campus immediately. Illegal items or items that pose severe potential harm (such as controlled substances, drug paraphernalia, hazardous chemicals, or weapons) are not items that can be released and will not be returned to students. Illegal or potentially harmful possession of alcohol will result in confiscation or disposal.

Any confiscated item not claimed by the owner by the end of the academic year in which the item was confiscated will be disposed of. When possible and appropriate, items may be donated to a local charity. If an item is confiscated from a student room when the student is not present, the student will be notified by the RLC or their designee. When items are confiscated from common areas, the RLC or designee will contact the students living near the space by email to inform them.

Students who leave items in the hallway or common area may have their items confiscated by residential life and housing staff. Arrangements to retrieve these items can be made through the RLC. Because these items could present a fire hazard, students will be fined a life safety fine for leaving items in the hallway or common area.

Custodial Services

Colorado College has a contract for cleaning services. It is also expected that students will take responsibility for cleaning up after themselves with respect to using common areas such as kitchens and lounges. Prompt reporting of any maintenance or housekeeping concerns as they occur is strongly encouraged so that the issue can be responded to quickly.

  • All personal belongings must be removed from public areas (including public refrigerators, kitchens, lounges, and bathrooms) over winter and spring breaks or they will be discarded.
  • All items must be removed from student spaces once that space is vacated so that it can be cleaned for the next resident.
  • All public areas and public bathrooms are serviced daily, Monday through Friday.
  • Limited cleaning services are provided on weekends.
  • If an area is not cleaned appropriately, students should contact their front desk or the staff member on duty.
  • If there is an emergency with regard to a cleaning issue (such as bodily fluids or a potentially dangerous situation), students should call the staff member on duty for their area or campus safety.
  • Custodial services are not provided for individual residence hall rooms or apartments, and if personal items are kept in common or public bathrooms, they may be discarded.

Damage and Vandalism Billing Procedures

Recovery of Costs

The costs associated with damage and vandalism are not built into the room rates that students pay, so students are expected to pay for any costs relating to damage or vandalism. As costs may change due to rise in expenses, a complete cost list is available through the RLC or central office.

  • If a student is found responsible (either through self-disclosure or by being found responsible through the student conduct procedures), the student will be charged for the damage repair and any related fines.
  • If the damage occurs in a room or apartment, the student(s) assigned to that space will be billed.
  • If the damage occurs in a common area and the responsible party is not found, the repair costs and fines will be split among the residents who would reasonably access or travel through that area, as determined by the RLC. When at all reasonable, the amount will be divided among the smallest common denominator of residents.

Damage may be repaired only by residential life and housing staff or their approved vendors. All student-caused damages will generally be assessed replacement, labor, and administrative cost(s). Labor costs are a minimum of one hour of labor during the regular workday and two hours of labor paid at time and a half if overtime is required.

Notification to Students and Appeal Process

Students will be notified via their CC email account when damage is documented by staff. The email notification will include a description of the damage, the timeframe when the damage occurred, and the estimated cost (if available). At that time, students may provide information that they have relating to the incident, or they may provide documentation that demonstrates that they were out of town for the duration of the time that the incident may have occurred. The notification time period stated in the email is the only time during which a student may appeal/protest a damage fine, except when a student receives an official conduct sanction letter and an appeal time period is stated in it.

Damage appeals may be granted for clerical error, if a student reports the responsible party, or if a student can document that they were out of town for the extended time when the damage occurred. Appeals are not granted for the reason that students do not agree with the policy. Students are encouraged to contact the senior associate dean of students if they have any suggested changes to improve the policy.

Individual Room / Apartment Damages

All students must leave their rooms in a condition where a new student could move in after a basic cleaning. Each student should ensure the accuracy of the Room/Apartment Inventory, as residential life staff will assess charges to room occupants for differences in the room condition between check in and check out, such as missing and damaged furnishings, failure to properly clean the room/apartment, removal of any property left in the room when vacated, and belongings left in the facilities. All students must promptly report any damage, malfunction, destruction, or loss of college property to a residential life staff member.

Desk Equipment

Each front desk has recreational, kitchen, and cleaning equipment available for student use. This equipment may only be checked out to residents of that building/area, using a CC ID, and is not for off-campus use. If equipment is not returned by the designated time, we reserve the right to charge a student's CC account. A drivers' license or other photo ID may be held while equipment is checked out. Each desk also has a first aid kit for minor injuries. Desk staff are not permitted to dispense any medications taken internally.


In a case of emergency, there are several resources you can call upon. If you perceive that it is life-threatening or high potential for harm, call 9-911 (if calling from an on-campus phone). If you are unsure, you can contact any of the campus resources to assist you.

Contacting 911

  • If you need an ambulance or in case of a fire, call the city emergency number, 9-911.
  • State your exact campus location (including address) to the dispatcher.
  • Follow any directions you are given.
  • Notify campus safety at ext. 6911 or 6707.
  • Notify a member of your residential hall staff.

Contacting Campus Safety

  • Campus safety can be reached at ext. 6911 for emergencies or ext. 6707 for general use.
  • Identify yourself and your location and describe the incident.

Contacting Boettcher Health Center

  • In case of a medical or psychological crisis, call Boettcher Health Center at ext. 6384
  • Contact a residential life staff member to assist at the scene.

Contacting Residential Life and Housing Staff

  • Your staff can be reached in a variety of ways. When your front desk is not open, there is a student staff member on call. You can reach them through the duty phone number posted in your area.
  • There are also residential life coordinators available on evenings/weekends to assist with crises in the residential buildings. Security or your RA can reach them via phone.

Entering a Student's Room / Apartment

The dean of students, the director of Residential Life & Campus Activities, the associate director of Housing & Conferences and/or their designees (RLCs or other members of the residential life staff) reserve the right to enter a student's room or apartment when there is a report of the presence of firearms, explosive materials or devices, stolen property, or other reasons that may affect the health, safety, or welfare of individual students or the community.

The residential life staff also reserves the right to enter rooms and apartments for the purposes of cleaning, health and safety inspections, and maintenance. This means they may enter the rooms when students are not present. All staff will lock the door after entering a room to protect the student's and the college's property and safety. If residential life staff observe any items or behaviors that may violate college policies within student rooms or apartments, the students present and/or the students assigned to that room or apartment will be held responsible. Any items that are in violation of policies may be confiscated.

Fire Drills and Alarms

Fire Drills

All fire drills are announced at least 48 hours in advance by residential life staff. During a drill, everyone, including the fire department, responds as if it is real fire. Everyone in the building must participate in all fire and emergency drills to the greatest extent possible. One should utilize the designated fire escapes and/or all recommended emergency procedures when the fire alarm sounds to the greatest extent possible.

Fire Alarms

If a fire alarm occurs, the Colorado Springs Fire Department will come. If it is a false alarm, the fire department will secure the building before students can be let back inside. If a building has excessive false alarms, staff may need to key into rooms to secure the building prior to letting students inside to ensure that students are evacuating the building every time the alarm sounds. Every student residential building is connected directly to the Colorado Springs Fire Department except fraternities, Interfaith, Synergy, and the CC Inn. Students in these buildings should follow the same evacuation procedure when the local alarm or smoke detectors are activated; however, they should also call 911 or security from the outside of the building. Students should familiarize themselves with the evacuation preparedness practices and protocols, found in the Student Life Procedure Section.

  • When a fire or other evacuation alarm sounds, every person must follow these procedures:
  • Take your keys and CC ID card with you. Take personal items (your backpack, briefcase, purse, etc.), if you have time to do so.
  • Carefully and calmly exit via the closest fire exit route. DO NOT USE ELEVATORS.
  • If you notice that individuals cannot negotiate the exit, move them laterally away from any obvious danger to a marked Refuge Area, if one is available. Persons with disabilities, such as those who cannot walk or be assisted down the stairs, may elect to remain in the building.
  • Check each door for heat or hazard prior to opening. If your door feels hot or the exit path is hazardous, remain in the building.
  • If there is a designated fire exit through your window, use it.
  • Leave room door closed.
  • Report the status and location of anyone remaining in the building to campus responders (Security) and public officials (Police, Fire). Repeat this message often.
  • Stay together at a safe distance (50-100 yards, upwind) from the building until campus security indicates you can return to the building.
  • Anyone who remains in the building, whether because of disability or the exit path is hazardous, must:
  • Close the room door(s);
  • Put cloth at the bottom of the door;
  • Call 911 (9-911 from a campus phone), stay on the line and indicate your location; and
  • Try to be noticeable without opening windows or doors.

Health and Safety Inspections

Residential life staff conduct health and safety inspections in rooms and apartments a minimum of once each semester to help students notice any concerns that could be harmful to an individual or the community. They may be conducted each block in the apartments, Interfaith, Synergy, and 1010 N. Weber due to the increased risks associated with less-supervised communities that have private bathrooms and kitchens. Rooms/apartments with serious or repeat concerns may be inspected more frequently out of concern for the community. Staff will announce these inspections at least 48 hours in advance. Most inspections will occur over breaks. Students do not need to be present and will be informed of any potential concerns.

Inspections include checking for health concerns (generally surrounding cleanliness), potential fire hazards, and electrical problems, and observing energy conservation concerns such as broken or open windows, heat regulation, and insulation around windows. Microfridges/refrigerators may be opened and inspected to ensure they are working properly and are clean.

If students are found to be in violation of residential life or college policies, they may receive a letter requesting compliance and items from their room/apartment may be confiscated, or their space may be cleaned at the student's expense. At a later date, residential life staff will make another inspection of the area in violation, and if it has not been corrected, students will be subject to disciplinary action such as a life safety fine.


Laundry machines operate with coins and/or CC Gold Cards. Laundry machines in small houses and the CC Inn use coins only. Prices are subject to change depending on energy costs. The model of washers used at CC work best with lesser amounts of liquid detergents rather than powder. Below are the locations of the laundry machines. Students who do not have laundry machines in their building will have card access to the appropriate location as described below:

Arthur House - kitchen on first floor
Bemis Hall - second, and third floors
CC Inn - first floor
Edith Gaylord - first floor (Elbert/Elf, Mullett, Tenney, and Windom residents also use Edith Gaylord)
Haskell - basement
Interfaith House - rear of house (Synergy community also use Interfaith)
Jackson House - basement
JLK - first floor (Antero, Blanca, and El Diente residents also use JLK)
Lennox - basement
Loomis Hall - lower level
Mathias Hall - first floor
Max Kade - basement
McGregor Hall - basement on west side of the building, which uses a card swipe
Montgomery - kitchen on first floor
South Hall - second and third floors
Ticknor Hall - kitchen on second floor

Lockout Keys

The procedure has been developed to allow students some leniency when they may forget their key, but also to teach students responsibility for their personal safety and the security of the facility.

  • If students lock their keys in their room or apartment, they may check out a temporary lockout key from their front desk for 30 minutes.
  • If the keys are not returned within 30 minutes, a lock change will be issued for that space, and the student will be billed for the lock change.
  • Each year, a student may check out temporary lockout keys three times before being charged for this service and/or facing a judicial response.
  • Starting with the fourth lockout, the student will be charged $15 for each lockout key. If lockouts become habitual, the fines for opening the door could escalate.
  • If the front desk is closed, students should contact their area's RA duty phone.


Students are responsible for reporting any maintenance problems they see to their front desk in a timely fashion. If a student does not report an issue when it is first noticed and this delay leads to the issue getting worse, the student may be responsible for any costs incurred. If staff becomes aware of a maintenance concern, they will take appropriate steps to respond and repair as needed, which may include entering student rooms or apartments without prior notice.

Reporting Concerns

Students can contact their front desk to report a maintenance concern. By reporting a maintenance concern, the student is giving notice to the college that there is an item that may need repair and should assume that a residential life or maintenance staff member will enter the room/apartment to investigate and/or repair the concern. Students can contact their RLC or the associate director for Housing & Conferences if they have questions about a request or if they are concerned that adequate progress has not been made.


A grill is provided in each residential area during blocks 1 and 8, when the weather is most conducive for outdoor events. If a student would like to utilize a grill at another time, they can plan an event for the residential community and must receive prior approval from the RLC. The RLC can then arrange for the grill, charcoal, and grilling utensils to be provided.

Light Bulbs

If a light bulb goes out in a student room, the student can complete a maintenance request for it or the student can bring the old light bulb to the desk to exchange it for a new one.

Painting Rooms

Students are not permitted to paint their rooms. If students are interested in having their rooms painted, they should contact their front desk and request a work order. Maintenance staff will enter the room to check the condition and determine if the room needs to be painted. Rooms that have been recently painted or have a quality paint job may not be painted. The decision to paint a room as well as the color choices available are at the discretion of the associate director of Housing & Conferences or their designee. If the room is to be painted, maintenance staff will work with the student(s) to determine the best time(s) to paint it. The student(s) are responsible for moving their belongings and cleaning the room to the staff's standards or the room may not get painted.

A mural program exists through which students may apply to paint a mural on a wall of a common area in Loomis, Mathias, CC Inn, or South. For more information on this program, please contact your RLC or the director for Residential Life & Campus Activities. Doors, paneling, furniture, woodwork, and ceilings may not be painted.

Personally Constructed Items

If you are interested in constructing your own furniture (i.e. tables, chairs, shelves, desks, etc.) to be installed in your apartment, you must first bring a plan of that furniture to the associate director of Housing *& Conferences for approval prior to installing it or moving it in.

Opening and Closing of Halls and Apartments

Before the beginning of each semester, an announcement will be made in official college publications about the days and times that residence halls/apartments and small houses may be occupied and must be vacated. In general, the halls open for returning students the Saturday prior to the first day of class. Students who will take only a half-block class on the CC campus during spring semester must move out and check out of their rooms prior to winter break closing. Students are responsible for making travel arrangements in accordance with this policy.

Personal Property

CC does not insure and is not responsible for loss or damage to the personal property of students for any cause (including, but not limited to, fire, flood, or theft.) The office of Residential Life & Campus Activities or the Department of Housing & Conferences do not cover the cost of damage to student belongings, including food left in refrigerators, items that become water damaged due to overflowing toilets, or laundry costs due to insect infestations. It is strongly suggested that students consult with their parents/guardian to see if there is coverage provided through the family's insurance policies or that students purchase private personal property insurance from a reliable company. A brochure detailing a low-cost student plan is available from our office. Property remaining in student housing at the time the contract is terminated (or the student checks out) immediately becomes the property of the college. Students are responsible for the safekeeping of their property and are expected to keep their room door locked at all times in order to maximize security. A small lockable safe provided in each student space (those students in temporary triple rooms will need to share safes). We encourage students to utilize these as one resource for their property.


To maintain students' privacy, residential life staff does not give out student room numbers. The staff will provide a phone number if the information has not been restricted by the student. If a student wants to restrict access to his/her information, the student should contact the registrar's office. Students are encouraged to be cautious when sharing their phone numbers, room numbers, or other personal information.

Room Assignments


  • Room assignments are made based on matching student preferences with the spaces we have available.
  • We reserve the right to change a room assignment or require a student to relocate, especially in situations where a student is in a double/triple room without a roommate.
  • At any time, a student may appoint a "proxy" who is a current student to act on their behalf if the student cannot be present for an aspect of room selection. Both students must follow the process provided by the department of residential life by the deadlines provided.
  • Students of different genders may request to live together in gender neutral housing. Please contact the room assignments manager with questions.

First-Year Students

First-year students are assigned to a residence hall based on the information received from their online housing preferences. Due to our focus on keeping first year students housed together, several first years will be placed in temporary triple rooms at the start of the semester.

Current Students

Housing agreements and information on the apartment and room selection processes are sent to current students' CC e-mail accounts prior to spring break. Each student is responsible for reading and following these procedures. The lottery process randomly generates numbers for all students who have both agreement and deposit information in the computer system (students who have not turned in both their housing agreement and housing deposit may not go through the apartment/room selection process). This student-created process is based on seniority. Therefore, seniors go first, followed by juniors, then sophomores. Students who have not received authorized off-campus status will be assigned a space on campus if they did not choose one during room selection.

Students Away from Campus

If a student is away from campus for an extended time, it is the responsibility of the student to contact our office regarding housing.

Fall Semester

Students who are on a leave, study abroad, or are otherwise away from campus for the fall semester will be assigned a room for the spring based on their preferences and the spaces available. Students will get their room assignments via email and are permitted move in after winter break. Students are encouraged to turn in their deposit, agreement, and preferences prior to leaving in the fall. If they have not, this information will be emailed to them in the fall.

Spring Semester

Students who are on a leave, study abroad, or are otherwise away from campus for the spring semester should appoint a proxy to select a room for the fall semester on their behalf.

Transfer Students

Transfer students are assigned to a space based on the information received from the online housing preferences. Rooms are held in upper-class areas to promote a variety of options for transfer students.

Language Houses

The department of residential life works collaboratively with the academic departments to assign rooms in the language houses. If students are interested in living in a language house, they must apply by completing an application form, available through the office of residential life. Completed room acceptance forms are the only valid confirmation of room assignment. Verbal promises will not be considered binding. Occupants of language houses are not eligible to participate in the waiting-list process.

Substance-Free and 24-Hour Quiet Housing

These communities are provided for students who prefer to live in communities with higher standards in these areas. It is the responsibility of each student to address or report community issues in a timely fashion. Substance-free communities are provided for students who wish to live in an area free of alcohol and other drugs. This means that students agree that they will not bring these items or their effects into the community and will also ensure that their guests abide by this. 24-hour quiet communities are places where students prefer to live in a quieter environment. The quiet policy applies to these areas at all times.

Special Housing Consideration for On-Campus Housing

There may be circumstances where a student's success at Colorado College depends on the ability to live in a specific type of environment. Students who are concerned that they will be housed in a situation that could impact their ability to sleep and study at CC can apply for Special Consideration for Housing. This is not an application for off-campus housing, but is a process by which students can disclose their concerns and the assistant director will review situations and work with the student to consider on-campus housing options. Requests for fall must be submitted by March 1, and requests for spring must be submitted by November 1. Students who believe they have a disability that may affect their housing assignment should contact Accessibility Resources by these deadlines as well.

Room Changes

After a student selects a room at room selection or is assigned a room as an incoming student, they need to follow the procedures below to change rooms. For the first two weeks of each semester, room changes are limited to the de-tripling of rooms and emergency situations. After the first two weeks of the semester, the wait list opens and students may apply to change rooms.


In severe situations, the college may authorize and or require a room change in an expedited way. Students who find themselves in this kind of situation can contact the room assignments manager located in Bemis Hall or their RLC.


If a student moves out of a room or apartment, the remaining roommate(s) have the opportunity to name a replacement. The remaining student(s) will be contacted via email with a deadline to name a new roommate. During the academic year, 48 hours is the usual deadline for this. If the student(s) does not name a replacement roommate, the space is returned to the office of residential life to assign via the wait list. If all roommates or apartment-mates are vacating a room/apartment, the space is returned to the office of residential life to assign through the wait list.

Wait List Process

  • A student completes a wait list card and turns it into the central office. .
  • Wait list requests are placed in order by year in school, and then by date received.
  • As rooms become available, the wait list is utilized to select which student will be offered the room.
  • The student is notified via email that a room is available. If there is already a student in the room, the student's name will be included in the room offer.
  • The student must respond to the offer by the deadline given (usually 48 hours during the academic year)
  • The student comes to the office of residential life to begin the room change process.
  • At the end of each semester, the wait list expires. If a student did not receive an offer comparable to his/her request, he/she may be offered the opportunity to maintain his/her priority on the wait list for the upcoming semester.

Room Changes

Once a room change has been accepted by the student or required by a conduct process, the student must come to the office of residential life to complete the room change paperwork.

The moving and room-change process should be completed within 48 hours, but exceptions can be made for academic time commitments that require an extension.


If one roommate vacates a room, and there is not a replacement roommate named, it is necessary to consolidate so that students who are on the wait list have an opportunity to get a room with their preferred roommate. The remaining resident may be asked to choose between moving to another room where one bed is vacant or selecting/being assigned a new roommate. The department of residential life reserves the right to reassign students as needed, which may include requiring a room change.

Security in Residential Buildings

We believe that students are the best protectors of their own safety and are encouraged to be responsible for themselves and their community by utilizing the resources available to them. We expect that students will confront or report any concerns they see around the buildings. In addition, we provide three layers of security that students can utilize to enhance their personal safety and security.

  1. In the more-supervised communities (Bemis, Loomis, South, and Mathias), the front desk is staffed during the day and evening by a residential life staff member. In the less-supervised communities (small houses and apartments), upper-class students are expected to take on more responsibility for their personal safety by not letting others into their communities
  2. The second level of security is the card-swipe system or another type of exterior door-locking mechanism, which allows only residents who are assigned to that community access to it. Under the card-lock system, students' Gold Cards will be programmed to swipe through readers. Building residents will have access at the main entrance. All other doors will be locked and used for emergency exit only.
  3. The final level of security is the individual door lock on each room and apartment door. Students have the greatest control over this level of security.

This multi-level system allows our facilities, our staff, and our students to work together to promote a safer community. For more information about campus safety and security, refer to the College Policies and Procedures section.


We strive to maximize our use of space on campus and therefore have very limited space for student storage. Students who live in Loomis, Mathias, and South may request that empty suitcases, trunks, or large boxes for moving be stored for the semester/year while they live there. Space is limited and priority will be given to student's with triples. These items should require minimal access, such as once or twice per year, for moving purposes. Students are storing these items at their own risk and must label them clearly. Space is on a first-come, first-served basis for residents who live in those buildings. There are also lockers available for rental at Mathias for recreational equipment. Students can contact the Mathias front desk for more information and costs. Other than the empty suitcase storage and the Mathias storage lockers, there is no storage space for student belongings outside of students' assigned rooms. Students who choose to utilize a storage company for their belongings are responsible for ensuring that their belongings will be picked up and dropped off directly with them, rather than in a lounge or a front desk. Storage companies who utilize portable storage units that are dropped off at the college are not recommended as there is not available space for those portable units.

Western Ridge Hosting Guidelines

The Western Ridge Apartments provide a unique living experience and we expect students to act responsibly while living there. As a result, students can apply for Noise Permits and Apartment Registration. Complete information is available from the Western Ridge office and will be provided to each apartment during block 1. These procedures are designed to provide guidance to students as they plan to host social gatherings in their apartments within the spirit of social host responsibility and community standards. These procedures may be limited/revoked if students do not follow them appropriately. For more information, contact the Wetsern Ridge RLC.

Report an issue - Last updated: 12/17/2020