The Colket Center for Academic Excellence
The Colket Center for Academic Excellence at Colorado College partners with faculty, departments, and programs to provide students with the finest liberal arts education in the country. In an academic climate calibrated to challenge all students, the Colket Center facilitates student learning, cultivates intellectual community, and supports students in developing skills they can apply broadly across and beyond the curriculum.
Reorganized in 2011, the Colket Center for Academic Excellence:
- Supports student learning in, across, and beyond block courses
- Cultivates students’ academic skills, strategies, and resilience
- Fosters intellectual community through collaborative learning, peer teaching, research, and scholarly inquiry
The Colket Center for Academic Excellence includes the Quantitative Reasoning Center (QRC), the Writing Center, the CLD Specialist, the Thesis Writing Specialist, and the Sophomore Jump Program.
The Center is staffed by ten professionals and two administrative support staff who promote the culture of learning and teaching and the mission of the college by:
- Consulting one-on-one with students and faculty on issues related to learning and teaching
- Teaching in-class and out-of-of class workshops, adjuncts, and block-length courses through departments
- Training and Supervising more than 150 students working as tutors and peer mentors
- Administering college-wide programs (Sophomore Jump Program, Writing Program, Student Fellowships and Grants, Quantitative Reasoning Assessment)
- Supporting college programs (Bridge Scholars Program, Global Scholars Program, Summer Pre-College Program, Admissions)
- Collaborating with faculty on course and assignment design
- Working with the Crown Faculty Center to offer faculty development
- Serving on college committees, ad hoc taskforces, searches, and panels
- Partnering with colleges and community organizations beyond CC
- Researching in the scholarship of teaching and learning
Colket Center Facts
78% of the CC student body used services offered at the Colket Center last year (QRC, WC, thesis adjunct, CLD Specialist).
The Writing Center consulted with more than 37% of the student body.
The Quantitative Reasoning Center served at 31% of the student body.
GPAs of students using the Colket Center services are equal to or higher than the average at Colorado College.