In order to earn credit for independent study during the summer, you must submit a proposal to the Director of Summer Session (see below for more info).
The Wild Card and Summer Session financial aid are not available for independent study.
Independent study enrollment instructions
- Make arrangements with a CC professor to supervise the work. Come up with course number and title.
- Meet with faculty advisor to make sure this course fits into your academic schedule and major.
- Prepare, in conjunction with the professor, a written proposal in which the purpose and scope of the independent study are clarified. Include the following:
- Fill out the Independent Study Proposal Form and collect signatures.
- Full syllabus
- Final department course number to be assigned
- Final subtitle for independent study if required
- Start date of work
- Dates any face to face or email meeting dates with the professor
- Assignment due dates
- End date of the independent study
- Whether or not the professor will allow an extension past Summer Session. All incomplete work (I) will convert to No Credit (NC) after three blocks.
- Complete the online Independent Study Proposal Request in Summit.
- Once completed, the Director of Summer Session will review, approve/deny the request and a confirmation email will follow.
- Please refer faculty/faculty advisor to the For Faculty website for more information on grades, salary, and proposal materials.