Skip to main content area Skip to sub-navigation
Skip to main content

Independent Study

In order to earn credit for independent study during the summer, you must submit a proposal to the Director of Summer Session (see below for more info). 

The Wild Card and Summer Session financial aid are not available for independent study.

Independent study enrollment instructions

  • Make arrangements with a CC professor to supervise the work. Come up with course number and title.
  • Meet with faculty advisor to make sure this course fits into your academic schedule and major.
    • First year students or those with no previous coursework in the department are not eligible to enroll.
  • Prepare, in conjunction with the professor, a written proposal in which the purpose and scope of the independent study are clarified. Include the following:
    • Complete the Independent Study Proposal Request in Summit
    • Course outline as syllabus
    • Final department course number to be assigned
    • Final subtitle for independent study if required
    • Start and end date of independent study
    • Face to face or email meeting dates with the professor
    • Assignment due dates
  • All incomplete work (I) will convert to No Credit (NC) after three blocks.
  • Once completed, the Director of Summer Session will review, approve/deny the request and a confirmation email will follow.  
  • Please refer faculty/faculty advisor to the For Faculty website for more information on grades, salary, and proposal materials.

As this course does not qualify for the Wild Card or Financial Aid, there will be a $4,600 tuition charge.

For further information, call Jim Burke, the Director of Summer Session at ext. 6656 or email

Contact Us

Jim Burke

Director Of Summer Session

(719) 389-6656 

Katherine Ruckstuhl

Summer Session Specialist

(719) 389- 6098

Rosy Mondragon

Administrative Assistant

(719) 389- 6655