Habiba Vaghoo is an organic chemist whose research interests are in the area of organofluorine chemistry. She works on developing new reactions to introduce fluorine and fluorinated groups to small organic molecules of biological interest using microwave technology. In addition, she is also interested in the design and synthesis of fluorinated analogs of antimalarial drugs whose use is limited due to adverse side effects. Her approach involves strategically introducing fluorinated groups in an attempt to eliminate the side effects.
1. Wilt, I.1; Roos, J.; Keegan, C.1; Vaghoo, H., “Direct Conversion of Nitrotoluenes to Aminobenzaldehydes by Microwave Assisted Oxidation-Reduction Protocol,” Manuscript in preparation.
2. Prakash, G. K.; Narayanan, A.; Nirmalchandar, A.; Vaghoo, H.; Paknia, F.; Mathew, T.; Olah, G. A., "Direct synthesis of 2-/3-(trifluoromethyl)thiochroman-4-ones: Superacid-induced tandem alkylation-cyclic acylation of benzenethiols using 2-/3-(trifluoromethyl)acrylic acid," Journal of Fluorine Chemistry. 2016, Article in Press.
3. Vaghoo, H.; Prakash, G. K.; Narayanan, A.; Choudhary, R.; Paknia, F.; Mathew, T.; Olah, G. A., "Superelectrophilic Activation of Crotonic/Methacrylic Acids: Direct Access to Thiochroman-4-ones from Benzenethiols by Microwave-Assisted One-Pot Alkylation/Cyclic Acylation," Org. Lett. 2015, 17, 6170.
4. Prakash, G. K.; Paknia, F.; Vaghoo, H.; Rasul, G.; Mathew, T.; Olah, G. A., "Preparation of Trifluoromethylated Dihydrocoumarins, Indanones, and Arylpropanoic Acids by Tandem Superacidic Activation of 2-(Trifluoromethyl)acrylic Acid with Arenes," J. Org. Chem. 2010, 75(7), 2219.
 Denotes Colorado College undergraduate student
1. Vaghoo, Habiba. Faculty Lunch Talk at Colorado College, “Fluorine: A small atom with a big ego.” An overview of the history of fluorinated compounds and their application towards antimalarial drugs. April 26, 2016.
2. Keegan, Casey ’17, Wilt, Ingrid ’17 and Vaghoo, Habiba. “Progress towards the synthesis of fluorinated antimalarial analogs” Midstates Consortium Undergraduate research Symposium in the Physical Sciences, Math and Computer Science. University of Chicago, November 13-14, 2015.
3. Keegan, Casey ’17, Wilt, Ingrid ’17 and Vaghoo, Habiba. “Progress towards the synthesis of fluorinated antimalarial analogs” Colorado College SCoRe Symposium, September 29, 2015.
4. Roos, Jackson’15.; Vaghoo, Habiba. “Progress towards the synthesis of fluorinated antimalarial analogs” Abstracts of Papers, 249th ACS National Meeting & Exposition, Denver, CO, United States, March 22-26, 2015(2015), CHED-1216.
5. Vaghoo, Habiba. Invited Talk at University of Southern California Chemistry Departments Career Day “How to get a job at a small liberal arts college”, February 13, 2015.
6. Roos, Jackson’15.; Vaghoo, Habiba. “Progress towards the synthesis of fluorinated antimalarial analogs” Colorado College Summer Collaborative Research Symposium, September 15, 2014.
7. Vaghoo, Habiba and Daugherty, Margaret. Invited Sigma Xi Talk “An Introduction To The Chemistry Of Food Pairing”, Dec 9, 2013.
8. Vaghoo, Habiba and Daugherty, Margaret. Colorado College Fall Conference: The Chemistry of Ice-Cream, Aug 27, 2013.
 Denotes Colorado College undergraduate student
ACM-CIC Undergraduate and Faculty Fellows Program for a Diverse Professoriate, “Illinois Hiring and Diversity Workshop” Chicago, August 15-16, 2016.
Excel @ CC “Good to Great: The Journey to Inclusion at CC, Butler Center Sponsered program at Colorado College, August 11, 2015.
NSF Sponsored Chemistry Collaborations, Workshops and Communities of Scholars (cCWCS). "Teaching Guided-Inquiry Organic Chemistry Laboratories", University of Minnesota, Minneapolis, June 8-13, 2014.
NSF Sponsored Chemistry Collaborations, Workshops and Communities of Scholars (cCWCS). “Food Chemistry”, Clarke University, Iowa, July13-19, 2013.
Midstates Consortium for Math and Science “2011 New Faculty Workshop”, Hope College, Michigan, July 7-10, 2011.
Council on Undergraduate Research (CUR) “Beginning a Research Program in the Natural Sciences at a Predominantly Undergraduate Institution”, Calvin College, Michigan, Nov 20-22, 2009.
First Year Experience (FYE)-CH 107 and CH 100 Kitchen Chemistry taught in build your own block format with Professor Margaret “Peggy” Daugherty
CH 250: Structures of Organic Molecules
CH 251: Reactions of Organic Molecules
CH 351: Synthesis of Organic Molecules
Bridge Course “The Culture and Scientific Construction of Identity: Food, Chemistry, Culture” with Professor Mario Montano (Anthropology) Summer 2013 and 2014 with Professor Mario Montano (Anthropology)
B.A., Concordia College (2003)
Ph.D., University of Southern California (2008)
This is the Department of Chemistry & Biochemistry
Browse all Departments & Programs
- Economics and Business
- Environmental Program
- Feminist and Gender Studies
- Film and Media Studies
- French, Italian, and Arabic
- Human Biology and Kinesiology
- Mathematics and Computer Science
- Molecular Biology
- Organismal Biology & Ecology
- Political Science
- Southwest Studies
- Theatre and Dance
- Asian Studies
- Comparative Literature
- The Departmental Major/International Affairs Option
- East Asian Languages
- Global Health Program
- Race, Ethnicity, and Migration Studies
- Russian and Eurasian Studies