We put content up on our sites and we take it back down. Here are instructions on how to make your page "live" or hide it until you are ready to use it again.
"Publishing" a page is the term that dotCMS uses for making something available to visitors of you pages. "Unpublishing" then is just the opposite. There will be times when you want to work on a page without everyone seeing a work in progress and then make it live when you are ready.
Additionally, when creating or modifying any pages or content on your site, if you use the "Save & Publish" button when you finish editing, the item will be published immediately.
Note: Pages and content in your site will often times be listed with a colored circle that indicates their "Status". A green circle indicates an item that is publish, yellow indicates unpublished, and red indicates archived.
How to Publish a Page:
- After logging in to dotCMS you will be taken to the Website Browser tab.
- Navigate to the page in your folder and page structure that you want to publish.
- Right click on the name of the page.
- Choose "Publish" from the menu that appears.
- The circle under "Status" for that page should now be green indicating that the item is no longer live on your site.
- Note: If you are ever updating a page and your content doesn't show up when you think it should, try re-publishing the page even though the "Status" is already published. Sometimes this can force out content that is being stubborn.
- Also Note: You can publish or republish any page while previewing it in dotCMS by using the "Publish Page" link on the left in the administration panel.
How to Publish Page Content:
- From the dotCMS Administration Screen, click on the Content tab.
- Ensure that the correct content type is selected in the "Type" drop down on the left.
- Fill in any applicable fields, such as "Title"or "Folder/Host" to narrow down which items you will see in your search.
- Click "Search".
- Use the list that appears on the right to locate the content you wish to publish.
- Right click on the name of the applicable item and choose "Publish".
- Your content item will display a green "Status" icon.
- Note: Publishing a piece of content makes it live in ALL PAGES where it is used, not just the page you publish it from.