Skip to main content area Skip to institutional navigation Skip to sub-navigation
Skip to main content

Grades & Transcripts


In special situations, students may take a course without a grade or credit, which is called auditing. Audits must meet the usual drop/add deadlines. Students should discuss their reasons for auditing a course with their advisor and the professor teaching the course in advance of the course. If students miss the deadline due to extenuating circumstances, they must obtain approval from the registrar’s office. Audits are listed on a student’s transcript as a “Z.”

Excused Grades

Excused grades are granted when extenuating circumstances, such as injury or illness, prevent students from completing a course. If the student is passing, but unable to continue a course at any time after the second Tuesday of the block, he or she may request a grade of Excused (“Y”). These grades are given to students who drop a course for reasons beyond their control, not to students who want to avoid a poor grade or “No Credit.” Students should obtain an excused form from one of the registrars, complete the upper half, and submit it to their professor. Students should also provide the registrar with whom they speak documentation where possible verifying the circumstances leading to the petition. Though the professor’s recommendation is very important, the registrar will make the final decision about excusing a grade. If a student does not present an acceptable case for being excused, he/she will receive a “No Credit.” Students can appeal such a decision to the Dean’s Advisory Committee.

Accessing Grades

College students’ records are protected by the Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA). It restricts institutions from releasing grades and other educational recrods without a student’s written permission. Students may view their grades online through Access after grades have been submitted and recorded by the registrar’s office. Since the system is student-controlled, we encourage students to share grade information with their parents. Parents can access grades through Access by knowing their student’s ID number and PIN. Students can also request official transcripts from the registrar’s office which includes complete course, grade, and GPA information.

Grading Standards

One unit represents the academic work of a single block of three-and-one-half weeks. There are eight blocks in the academic year; under normal circumstances, students can earn eight units of credit per year and 32 credits in four years. Each unit is equal to four semester hours. Students may earn more credits by taking advantage of other options, such as the January half-block, summer wild card, adjunct courses, and extended-format courses.

The college provides a two-track grading system for all students. In any given course, students may choose to be graded by either the designation of A, A–, B+, B, B–, C+, C, C–, D+, D, or NC for “No Credit” (G Track) or the optional system S, CR, NC (P Track). A grade of S represents grades A through C–, CR represents D+ or D, and NC equals “No Credit.” For purposes of computing the grade point average, the following schedule is used: A = 4.0, A– = 3.7, B+ = 3.3, B = 3.0, B– = 2.7, C+ = 2.3, C = 2.0, C– = 1.7, D+ = 1.3, D = 1.0, NC = 0.0. Passing grades from the P Track are not calculated into the GPA; however, a grade of NC under either grade track option is calculated in the GPA. There are no restrictions placed on the number of courses students may choose under each option. However, they are expected to choose the option by which they wish to be graded at the time they register for the course. No change in the grading option is permitted after the fourth day of class without extenuating circumstances. Students who do not choose a grading track for a course are automatically assigned to the G Track by the registrar. With the permission of the course professor, students may audit (Z Track) a course. Students will not receive any credit toward graduation, but if they complete the audit successfully, it will be recorded on their transcript.

The college believes grading system options offer a desirable versatility: They provide a commonly understood set of grades for consideration beyond the campus, while they preserve a simpler option for students who wish to be free of certain kinds of grading pressures. This system encourages students to take courses they might otherwise shun out of fear of poor grades, and in general, it makes students much less “grade conscious.” On the other hand, the college avoids the risk that some of our students could be disadvantaged by the grading policy in the competition for jobs or graduate and professional school admissions.

In Progress

In designated courses, a grade of “In Progress” may be temporarily recorded on a student’s transcript. This notation is used for reporting grades for work in thesis blocks and in research courses that cannot be completed in one block. Students receiving a grade of “In Progress” must complete course work within eight blocks, including the block in which they registered for the course.


If students do not complete the work in a given course for a satisfactory reason, such as illness, professors may submit a grade of “Incomplete.” In such a case, course work must be made up by the beginning of the fourth block following the block for which the “Incomplete” was recorded, unless the professor sets a shorter time limit. Special exceptions may be made in documented cases of concussion. At the discretion of the associate dean of the college, and in consultation with the professor, students who are diagnosed with concussion may be given up to one full year to complete course work for the class during which the concussion was sustained. In any case, if an “Incomplete” is not completed within the designated time frame, the registrar will automatically convert the grade to “No Credit.” Professors will give students a “No Credit” for failing to meet minimum standards or to have a satisfactory excuse for incomplete work.


Unauthorized release of a student’s academic record to third parties not involved in college business violates the Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA) of 1974. Federal law prohibits the college from sending student records to anyone without the student’s written permission. Students and alumni must request transcripts in writing, either by completing a request form at the registrar’s office or by contacting the office in writing. Normally, transcripts are mailed within three to five working days. Students and alumni may request 10 free transcripts each year; the charge for additional transcripts is $3 each. The registrar’s office also offers overnight mail service for an additional fee. Details can be obtained from the registrar’s office.