Library Renovation and Programming
Charge: The new Center for Immersive Learning and Engaged Teaching will provide new resources to support our mission to provide the finest liberal arts education and realize the potential of our pioneering block plan. The renovated library will provide the physical home for the new center and serve as the intellectual hub of the campus.
Phase two of this project involves schematic design. Building on the work done in phase one, Pfeiffer Partners will spend roughly five months developing the schematic design for the renovation and expansion of Tutt Library. Schematic design encmpases design of the interior space, by floor, along with program placement and proposed usage of materials. It also includes evaluating the cost of design along with the project budget, sustainability options, and exterior elevations. Pfeiffer Partners will meet monthly with the Library Action Team and campus leadership. In addition to the monthly meetings, the architects will hold open sessions for faculty, staff, and students in March and April, allowing the campus community to comment and provide input.
- Pfeiffer Partners
- Project lead: Stephanie Kingsnorth, AIA, LEED AP
March 25-27 second presentation
April 22-24 third presentation
Final schematic design report – May
- Fact finding and programming and concept design verification
- 1/5/15 thru 2/13/15
- Presentations of first design schemes (3) and programming adjacencies
- Library Action Team, campus leadership, and Board of Trustees Library Special Project Team – 2/25/15 thru 2/27/15
- Presentation of fourth design scheme with 3D model and floorplans
- Library Action Team and campus leadership – 3/26/15
- Campus open session (Bemis Great Hall) – 3/25/15
- Student table sessions (Worner Center-Perkins Lounge) – 3/27/15
- Presentation of fifth design scheme with exterior elevations, sustainability, and front entrance experience
- Campus Library Action Team and campus leadership – 4/23/15
- Campus open session (Celeste Theatre) – 4/22/15
- Student table sessions (Worner Center-Perkins Lounge) – 4/24/15
- Final schematic design presentation
- Library Action Team and campus leadership – May/June
- Board of Trustees – late June
Phase one of this project involves programming and concept design. The Library Action Team has invited consultants from MASS Design Group and brightspot to campus for an intensive eight-week visit. The group will meet with CC leadership, tour campus with students, and conduct visioning workshops with faculty as part of this initial planning stage. The building’s physical design will be developed to meet these conceptual and programming needs. You are invited to join in the dialogue by providing input to the consultant team in this initial planning stage.
Project lead: Alan Ricks '05
- Week of 3/19
- Week of 3/24
- Week of 3/31
- Begins week of 4/7; four weeks
- Technical Assessment
- Week of 3/31; two weeks
- Concept Design
- Begins week of 4/7; four weeks
- Presentations/Final Report
- April 22nd and 23rd – Action Team and Leadership
- May 1st/2nd, Action Team, Board of Trustees
- May 16th – final report
Project Update (see past updates)
May 9, 2014
Sent on behalf of Sandra Wong, Dean of the Faculty and College, Chair of the Library Renovation Team:
Thanks to all who have contributed to the discussion and dialogue throughout this process. Here is a summary of the latest activities in Phase 1 of Programming and Concept Design with MASS Design Group and brightspot:
Week of April 28
- Second draft of programming and concept design presentations for the Library and Center Teams, President's Cabinet, and Board of Trustees; presentations encompassed feedback from groups that participated the previous week.
Weeks of May 5 and May 12
- MASS Design Group will take feedback from presentations on May 1 and 2 to develop the final report.
Week of May 19
- MASS Design Group presents final report to CC leadership, Library and Center Teams, and Board of Trustees special project team focused on the library.
View the slides from the second draft of the programming presentation and a detailed timeline: http://www.coloradocollege.edu/other/strategicplan/progress/library.dot.
Contact the Action Team
Please complete the form below to send us your questions or comments.