The Big Idea Competition
Present your big idea and win $50,000 to make it a reality
Until the 2017 Big Idea Competition
The Big Idea was held February 22, 2017
Three teams awarded funding!
Colorado College, Innovation at CC, and Mountain Chalet sponsored the fifth annual Big Idea student business pitch competition on Feburay 22, 2017. Five student teams presented compelling pitches for their startup ideas to a distinguished panel of five judges. At the event, the judges awarded monetary prizes from a pool of $50,000 to the winning teams, to serve as seed money for launching the students' ventures. First place was awarded to FlyPhone, who received $30,000. Chica Chocolate came in second and was awarded $10,000. Third place was awarded to Ogugu, who received $10,000.
The Big Idea
Now in its fifth year, the Big Idea is a student competition to imagine and develop innovative ideas, culminating in a presentation competition with a monetary prize to serve as seed money for launching students’ startups.
The Big Idea is about three different kinds of startups:
- Startups that focus on dramatic innovations, often disruptive in character, and typically backed by venture capital investment.
- Small business style startups. These often result in local, very cool, and potentially highly proﬁtable ventures, but without the kind of swing-for-the-fences qualities of venture-backed startups.
- Social Entrepreneurship startups. These are innovative new ventures that are measured typically less in terms of proﬁt, and more by social impact and value.
For 2017 there will once again be $50,000 – yes, $50,000! – in prize money for the pitch competition to kick start YOUR great idea. But there is much more to the program: we are engaging with the local community of innovators and entrepreneurs, as well as CC alumni, to help mentor and be a resource to students.
Whether you’re a Comparative Lit, Computer Science, Economics, Political Science, or Art major, if you’re interested in innovation and the startup phenomenon there’s a place for you and your idea!
1st Place: FlyPhone
FlyPhone’s drone turns your phone into a personal cameraman. By leveraging the power of your smartphone, our purpose-built software and drone body capture HD video from a more natural distance than a ‘selfie stick’, while affording a more intimate shot than any other drone on the market.
2nd Place: Chica Chocolate
Made for those with menstrual cycles, Chica truffles are more than just a delicious, high quality chocolate. Infused with a Chinese herbal formula that is designed to ease monthly hormone cycles, they are delivered to customers on a subscription basis.
3rd Place: Ogugu
Inventory happens, manage it well. Ogugu is a business analytics platform empowering owners of Micro Enterprises with Inventory Management, Bookkeeping, and Operations Reporting & Forecasting. Subscribe to the affordable mobile solution that will improve the performance, efficiency, and growth of Tanzanian commerce.
- Lion of the Sea (formerly King of the Sea): Lion of the Sea seeks to grow a regular market for consumption of a tasty, exotic seafood: Lionfish. Lion of the Sea will connect with fishing operations in the Caribbean and West Atlantic to harvest Lionfish, process and distribute the fish to restaurants, and thereby reduce the negative impact Lionfish have on oceanic ecosystems.
- Neonic: By creating an interactive way in which concert-goers can become part of the performance, Neonic uses people’s smartphones to create a unique crowd-sized canvas of art.
- Spindle: Using neuro-technology, Spindle is creating a ‘smart mask’ to improve memory retention during sleep and enhance the function of the brain.