Advising Resources

Advising at Colorado College empowers every student to thrive in the immersive environment of the block plan and to articulate the meaning and purpose of their liberal arts education. Advisors support each student as a whole person to identify, describe, and achieve their educational, professional, and personal goals.

We hope that these resources will provide you with the foundation to succeed as an advisor at Colorado College.


During the 2018-19 academic year, the FEC convened an Advising Taskforce, which included Pedro de Araujo, Tomi Ann Roberts, Emma Powell, Kat Miller-Stevens, Murphy Brasuel, Phil Apodaca, Paul Buckley, Jennifer O’Bryant, Traci Freeman, Lily Weissgold, and Elianna Clayton. This group was charged with:

  • Developing a holistic vision for advising at CC
  • Articulating an advising mission statement
  • Defining the learning outcomes for advising
  • Developing a plan for assessing our advising practices
  • Reviewing a faculty handbook for advising
  • Reflecting on our current advising model and make recommendations for changes

The following mission, expectations, and outcomes were submitted to the FEC and adopted in 2019.


Advising at Colorado College empowers every student to thrive in the immersive environment of the block plan and to articulate the meaning and purpose of their liberal arts education. Advisors support each student as a whole person to identify, describe, and achieve their educational, professional, and personal goals.


Learning Outcomes

As a result of their experiences with advising, students will be able to…

  1. Develop and execute an academic plan that ensures satisfactory progress toward a degree
  2. Organize classes, estimate points, and plan alternative schedules
  3. Identify and engage academic, co-curricular, and support resources and systems on campus
  4. Identify and articulate educational, professional, and personal goals
  5. Describe the meaning and value of a liberal arts education at Colorado College

Structure of Academic Advising

We have a split model for advising at Colorado College. Students are sometimes confused about the difference between a faculty advisor and a Hub (staff) advisor. Faculty and staff advisors should work together to support students. Each faculty advisor support students in different ways depending upon their knowledge and comfort level.

This graphic gives a rough idea of the areas that each group is generally willing to support.

Advising Partnership CC

Teaching and Academic Advising 

Taken from the Faculty Handbook 10/15/2020

Effective teaching is an art, a science, and a craft. The skills necessary for good teaching continue to develop over years of practice. They include the ability to convey essential information in a lively way; engage students in productive discussion; improve students’ abilities to read, write, speak, and think; provide opportunities for students to conduct independent research; introduce novel fields of investigation; and develop new methods of pedagogy. The exercise of these skills results in a wide range of teaching styles, but the results can be demonstrated in quality of course preparation and evidence of student learning.

Advising Guidelines 

Taken from the Faculty Handbook 10/15/2020

One of the important responsibilities of all regular, full-time faculty members, after their first year at the College, is advising students on all matters related to their progress toward graduation. The Vice Provost assigns every new student a faculty advisor, and faculty can play an important role in helping their first year advisees adjust to college life. When students choose an academic major, they normally select an advisor in the department of their major. Faculty members should encourage all advisees to consult with them any time during the year about questions or problems related to the academic program. The College requires returning students to confer with their faculty advisor during all pre-registration periods, and the electronic pre-registration process does not allow students to submit a course schedule without their adviser’s personal identification number (PIN). Students “bid” for courses by using, in any combination, the 40 points allotted them per semester; that is, they may bid for 0 to 40 points for any particular course per semester as long as the total of points is exactly 40. (Half-block, extended format, and summer session courses do not require points.) Registration instructions from the Registrar’s Office explain that students must secure the consent (confirmed by PIN) of the course instructor for courses that have the prerequisite “COI,” and the consent of the department chair (also confirmed by PIN) for courses that require “COD.” The Registrar’s Office makes every student’s course schedule available on-line by the end of the week following the pre-registration period. Thereafter, students may change their course schedule by means of drop/add forms in the Registrar’s Office. The Registrar’s Office also provides reports of progress toward the degree to students and their faculty advisors. These reports indicate the total academic units earned to date; the units earned toward the 18 61 required outside the department of the major; and the student’s progress toward satisfying the requirements for graduation as described in the Colorado College Catalog of Courses: all-College, divisional distribution, Critical Perspectives, foreign language, major (and minor) requirements. During pre-registration, faculty members should review the Registrar’s reports with their student advisees as part of the advising process. Information about the Colorado College Summer Session is available to faculty members and students in the Summer Session Bulletin and from the Office of Summer Programs.

show all / hide all

Students should expect advisors to…

  • Understand and engage student development across the four years of the undergraduate experience
  • Demonstrate knowledge about the curriculum, including general education requirements and the majors available for students, as well as co-curricular opportunities
  • Communicate academic policies, procedures, and processes
  • Collaborate effectively with student support and other services across campus
  • Empower students to make their own choices
  • Maintain a consistent level of engagement with their advisees, making themselves available to students and communicating with students in a clear and timely fashion
  • Monitor advisees’ progress
  • Prepare for advising appointments by reviewing information about advisees
  • Show an understanding of, respect for, and commitment to the Liberal Arts mission
  • Practice cultural competence by recognizing the significance of students’ backgrounds, identities, and experiences
  • Ensure equitable treatment among advisees
  • Understand and honor their obligations under Title IX and the Anti-Discrimination policies
  • Participate in initial and ongoing professional development

The Doctrine of Apparent Authority and Advising Responsibilities

Taken from the Faculty Handbook 10/15/2020

If a faculty member gives a student incorrect information or advice about a College policy and the student takes legal action against the College because acting on that advice adversely affected their progress toward the degree, a court may rule in favor of the student on the basis of the “apparent authority doctrine.” It is imperative, then, that in fulfilling their advising responsibilities all members of the faculty be thoroughly familiar with the College’s academic policies, particularly all-College and departmental degree requirements. For faculty and students alike The Colorado College Catalog of Courses is the principal source of information about requirements for graduation, the necessary minimum progress toward the degree, registration and course changes, honors at graduation, academic warnings and suspensions, leaves of absence, and special programs and courses of study (for example, the Colorado College Teacher Education Program and programs of the Associated Colleges of the Midwest). Faculty advisors also have electronic access to relevant data about their advisees such as current academic schedule and degree progress. Faculty members should consult with the Vice Provost’s Office when questions arise because of special student needs or unusual circumstances. They should not agree to any student request for an exception to a College policy without the approval of the Provost’s Advisory Committee.

Title IX and Being a Responsible Employee

The majority of CC employees, including faculty, are considered “responsible employees” under Title IX who must report prohibited conduct of which they become aware to the Title IX Coordinator or a Deputy Title IX Coordinator*.  It does not matter how the information is learned – shared by the victim, the perpetrator, a third party or overheard, in person, via email, or some other medium. This means that any specific information that you receive regarding a possible violation of the gender-based discrimination, sexual harassment, and sexual violence policy must be passed along to the Title IX Coordinator.

The current Title IX Coordinator is Heather Kissack, Associate Vice President of Human Resources.

*The only CC employees who are not "responsible employees" are "confidential resources,", to whom a person may wish to discuss an incident without filing a report. Confidential Resources at CC can be found on this page.


Colorado College is bound by the Federal Education Rights and Privacy Act.  More information on this policy for faculty, staff and students can be found here:  

show all / hide all

Advisors should expect students to…

  • Educate themselves about the curricular and co-curricular options available to them
  • Take initiative to develop and follow-through with their curricular and co-curricular plans
  • Demonstrate flexibility and a willingness to be challenged
  • Exhibit professionalism in email and in-person interactions
  • Respect advisors’ time
  • Acknowledge that advising is a relationship and that they bear some responsibility for the success of this relationship
  • Take increasing ownership and responsibility for their academic experience

show all / hide all

Currently, Colorado College is operating under two separate General Education Requirements; one for students who entered CC before Fall 2020 and students who entered following the Fall 2020 semester. If you're looking for the requirements for students who enrolled prior to Fall 2020, you can find them here:

The General Education program, requiring a minimum of nine blocks of study, calls on students to engage critical learning broadly through three fundamental components*:

  • six blocks of Critical Learning across the Liberal Arts;
  • two blocks of Equity and Power;
  • and three blocks of Critical Engagement through Language.

Critical Learning across the Liberal Arts courses fall into six categories:

  • Analysis and Interpretation of Meaning;
  • Creative Process;
  • Formal Reasoning and Logic;
  • Historical Perspectives;
  • Scientific Analysis;
  • and Societies and Human Behavior.

Students may not use a single course to meet more than one Learning Across the Liberal Arts requirement or more than one Equity and Power requirement, and must take and pass all General Education courses with a minimum grade of C- or S, with the exception of CC100. A maximum of two courses from a student’s chosen major may be used to fulfill the general education requirement. Students who have a double major may use two courses from each major to fulfill the general education requirement.

Transfer students are not required to take CC100; credit for other General Education requirements will be determined by the Registrar’s Office in consultation with the Committee on Instruction.

More information on the General Education Requirements can be found here:

The formal policy can be found here:

show all / hide all

Students must complete a minimum of 32.00 units, the general education requirements, and the requirements of a major to be eligible to graduate in the next graduation term. Colorado College has 3 graduation terms: Winter, Spring, Summer. Commencement exercises are held after the Spring semester only. Winter graduates do have a graduation celebration and can still participate in the Spring commencement exercises. Students may participate in commencement exercises if they are no more than 2.00 units short of ALL graduation requirements.

show all / hide all

Students must declare a major by the end of their sophomore year.  To declare a major, students must file a Declaration of Major form with the Office of the Registrar.  There are more than 40 possible majors at Colorado College, including a major of the student’s own design, the Independently Designed major.

Double Major

Students at Colorado College may complete a double major.  The two majors may be from traditional departmental majors or an interdisciplinary major and a departmental major as long as the latter is not a discipline making up part of the interdisciplinary major.  Double majors require completion of all requirements for the two fields.  The following rules must be observed:

  • Both departments must approve the option.
  • In no case may more than three courses within the majors overlap.
  • The student must have an advisor in each major.
  • The student must complete all-college requirements.
  • The completed major(s) will be recorded on the student’s official transcript. 


Colorado College offers two categories of minors: departmental minors and thematic minors. Minors are not required for the degree.  Students may complete a double minor in either category; or in a single category; but no more than two of either category. Students electing to complete two minors may not have any overlapping courses. A single course cannot be used to count for two minors. One unit of the minor, but no more than one, may be in the major department. 

Declaration for Major and Minor Forms:

Majors and Minors:

show all / hide all

Preregistration is a formal process for registering for courses in advance. Preregistration at Colorado College is unique in that the Points System (a 40-point per semester, sealed bid-system) will determine who is enrolled and who is placed on a waiting list for a course based on the student’s point bid.* Colorado College’s academic year is broken up into 8 blocks; blocks 1 – 4 take place in the Fall and blocks 5 – 8 take place in the Spring. Students are required to register in a course for each block per semester. The majority of block courses take place over a one-block period (1-unit); however, there are also block course offerings that take place over a two-block period (2-units). Students can sign up for any combination of the two to total a minimum of 4 units each semester. (Students who wish to take a block off should refer to the Student Leave of Absence section below, and should also contact the Advising Hub.)

To submit their Preregistration for processing, each student is assigned a Preregistration Passcode (a 6-letter combination code) for each Preregistration term. All students must meet with their Advisors to receive their passcode for the term; passcodes will not be accessible at the Registrar’s Office.

CC has 3 preregistration periods:

  1. Preregistration for the upcoming academic year is open for 3 weeks during the spring semester prior. Students preregister for Fall semester and provide a draft for the Spring semester.
  2. First-Year Preregistration for the upcoming academic year takes place in the summer prior for first-year students to preregister for Fall semester, blocks 3 & 4 and a draft for the Spring semester.
  3. Spring semester preregistration is open for 3 weeks during the Fall semester for students to confirm their course selections for the Spring semester.

All students have 40 points to bid on each semester’s preregistration.*

Detailed preregistration information can be found here:

For guidance for how to navigate Preregistration as an advisor, look at this Faculty Guide to Preregistration.

*Semester and block abroad programs have a distinct application program and do not require the use of the point system.

Adding/Dropping a Course

Students have the first 2 days of a course to add/drop in SSB. Students may drop a course no later than the second Tuesday of the course. They must complete a Drop/Add Form to leave with either the Advising Hub or the Registrar’s Office. This form can be found here.

After the drop deadline has passed, students must complete the petition for a grade of excused through the Registrar’s Office.

Auditing a Course

A grade of Z (Audit) can be assigned to a student if the student has discussed and been approved by the instructor to do so.  This grade track must be submitted to the Registrar’s Office for processing with the instructor’s written permission or COI.  This grade does not receive any credit but will be posted to the student’s transcript.

Course Substitutions

Colorado College recognizes that as a result of disability, some students may be unable to satisfy specific coursework requirements for degree completion. Therefore, qualified students with disabilities may request that appropriate course substitutions be considered.

The Accessibility Resources staff, in collaboration with the Vice Provost’s Office, the Registrar's Office, and appropriate faculty and staff, will review such requests on a case-by-case basis to determine eligibility and to reasonably accommodate qualified students with alternative coursework that will satisfactorily fulfill the appropriate degree requirements.

Additional information can be found at this link:

show all / hide all

Transferred credit is evaluated and approved for general credit by the Registrar’s Office. Credit for majors or minors must be approved by the department.

1 block/unit is equal to 4 semester hours or 6 semester hour. All transferred credit uses this equation.

Admitted First-Year student can only transfer in a maximum of 8 CC units. Admitted Transfer students can transfer in a maximum of 16 CC units.

Advanced Standing Credit

Colorado College recognizes challenging coursework by giving credit for approved Advanced Placement tests (AP), International Baccalaureate (IB) exam scores, the General Certificate of Education advanced-level exams (GCE A-Level), German Abitur, French Baccalaureate exams and college courses. Credit may be awarded for other advanced placement exams after review by the registrar. No credit is awarded for CLEP tests or for life experience.

Advanced standing credit can be used to satisfy general education requirements where appropriate, to satisfy major requirements where the department allows, and to accelerate graduation. However, accelerated graduation is not mandatory; students are eligible to remain enrolled and receive financial aid for four full-time academic years.

Detailed Information for transfer and advanced standing credit can be found:

show all / hide all

Grading Tracks

The College provides a two-track system for all students. In a given course, students may choose from the following grading systems:

  • G Track (Letter Grades): A, A-, B+, B, B-, C+, C, C-,D+, D, NC (No Credit), WF (Administrative Fail)
  • P Track (S/CR/NC): S(A to C-), CR(D+ or D), NC(No Credit), WF(Administrative Fail)

Students have the first 4 days of a course to change grading track. Students wishing to change the grading track after the deadline can complete a petition through the Registrar’s Office.

  • CR grades do not factor into the GPA and will not complete an all-college, major or minor requirement.
  • NC grades are a failing grade and factor into the GPA for both grading tracks.
  • WF grades are calculated into the GPA and are assigned on both grade tracks. This grade is assigned when a student fails to add or drop the course and can be petitioned to change and reviewed by the Vice Provost.
  • Excused grades (Y) can be petitioned for after the drop deadline has passed.  An instructor’s recommendation is required for this petition. The petition is distributed by a Registrar and are decided on a case by case basis.  

Detailed information for all grade policies can be found here: 

show all / hide all

Colorado College offers students the opportunity to engage in meaningful study abroad in a variety of formats, including faculty-led block abroad programs, CC-sponsored semester abroad programs, and a pool of pre-approved affiliated partner semester programs. Study Abroad advising is led by the Global Education team out of the Center for Global Education and Field Study.

  • Students interested in joining any study abroad program should consult with their academic advisor about timing, learning goals, and positioning of the study abroad program within the student’s larger academic plan of study.
  • Students and advisors can learn about all scheduled CC and partner programs at the Global Education webpage. This page contains program information, as well as downloadable PDF’s about all aspects of the application, financial aid, and enrollment processes.
  • There is designated financial aid support built into the application process for all faculty-led block abroad programs. All students who apply for a block abroad program are automatically considered for an aid award.
  • All CC students who are eligible for need-based aid, are eligible to receive aid towards one academic year block and one summer session block. Aid is distributed using formula which considers academic year of the applicant and level of financial need. While students are eligible for aid as cited above, CC cannot guarantee that aid for any specific program will be available to all applicants.
  • For Semester programs, students are eligible for aid paralleling the financial aid a student would receive for on-campus study. There is no additional requirement or selection process for semester-based aid.
  • Advisors should be aware that application processes for both semester and block abroad processes are distinct from the standard on-campus course registration and enrollment processes. Study abroad applications are often required well before the pre-registration dates for a given semester or summer session as study abroad has unique time-sensitive requirements which do not correlate with on-campus pre-registration and registration timelines.
  • Students should plan to complete a study abroad application anywhere from 6 months to 1 year prior to the departure date of their preferred program(s).
  • Students who wish to apply for a study abroad program which is not part of CC’s official pool of offerings may petition for special consideration and should contact Global Education for more details and advising on this option.

show all / hide all

Advising international students (defined as those studying at CC on an F-1 or J-1 student visa) involves being aware of a variety of areas – immigration requirements, language, cultural differences, and more. It is an international student’s responsibility to maintain his or her immigration status, and it is Colorado College’s responsibility to follow immigration reporting requirements and keep Colorado College compliant with the immigration regulations. All immigration questions and immigration advising should be referred to the team of International Student & Scholar Services (ISSS) in the Center for Global Education & Field Study.

The following are key immigration-related points for faculty to be aware of when advising international students:


  • International students must be enrolled full-time for each semester of the academic year. Full-time is at least 3 units per semester, however, because immigration regulations include a physical presence requirement, international students at CC need to physically attend class each block.
  • International students may be eligible, with ISSS permission, for a reduced course load or for one block off per semester. Please refer international students to ISSS for approval BEFORE a student drops a class for a block.
  • Students taking a leave of absence need to be advised by ISSS on the immigration implications before taking a leave of absence.
  • International students must complete their degree by the program completion date in their immigration record. It is vital that students are advised so as to complete their program of study by the completion date in their immigration record, typically 4 years for undergraduate study.
  • Immigration program extensions may possibly be granted for medical reasons and compelling academic reasons. ISSS must be advised and program extensions must be done before the student’s program end date.

NOTE:  The information in this section presents the immigration regulations during non-COVID times.  During COVID-19, the Student and Exchange Visitor Program (SEVP) has issued immigration guidance granting additional accommodation.  Immigration guidance has changed multiple times during COVID -19.  For the current immigration guidance and exceptions, please see ISSS’ International Student Frequently Asked Questions


International students must receive employment authorization before working off campus, and the employment must be directly related to their major.  Faculty advisors play important roles in the ability to work off campus in the following ways:

  • International students need to apply for employment authorization to work in an internship off campus. The authorized employment or internship must be defensible as an integral part of a student’s academic curriculum. The approval process will include an academic recommendation from the faculty advisor that demonstrates that the internship position is directly tied to the student’s academic curriculum and major.
  • International students are eligible to apply for employment authorization to work off campus after graduation. Faculty advisors are expected to sign the Request Form confirming the student’s expected program completion date and providing a recommendation for the post-graduation employment authorization.
  • The major of an international student determines how long the international student can work in the U.S. F-1 students are eligible to engage in post-graduation work in the U.S. for up to 12 months. However, students in particular STEM majors may be eligible for an extension which enables the international student to work in the U.S. for an additional two years. If faculty or students are interested in learning if a particular major is on the STEM Designated Degree Program List, please contact ISSS.
  • International students can only work on campus for 20 hours per week total (one job or combination of multiple jobs), except during Summer, Winter, or Spring Breaks, when they are allowed to increase to 40 hours. Campus employment positions do not have to be related to their major. No authorization is needed for F-1 students to work on campus, but J-1 students need authorization from ISSS before working on campus.

Information regarding enrollment, maintaining F-1 or J-1 status, employment, and more may be found in the Current Students pages in the International Students section of the website of the Center for Global Education & Field Study. Immigration questions and immigration advising can be referred to the team of International Student & Scholar Services (ISSS) in the Center for Global Education & Field Study.

show all / hide all

Students who are interested in taking some time away from CC need to talk with a Hub advisor in the Student Opportunities and Advising Hub. They can schedule a meeting with a Hub advisor by going to the Hub website and clicking on the "Make an Appointment" link. The Hub advisors will talk them through options, encourage them to reach out to their faculty advisor and others depending upon the student circumstances. Some students will need to talk with the Financial Aid office, the International Student Scholars office, their coach or if they are receiving VA benefits, the registrar’s office.

What does the Hub staff member talk with them about? Some of the topics discussed are:

  • What has prompted the student to consider taking some time away?
  • What are their academic and personal goals? How will this leave help them get there?
  • What plans do they have that will help them be “productive” while they are away?
  • Have they contacted the above offices and people? (The Hub staff know the basics, but students need to contact others for the specifics)
  • Have they checked to see if they will be able to complete their degree as planned?

And of course, other topics depending upon the answers received from the student.

Gap Semester/Year

If a first year or new transfer student is interested in taking a gap semester or gap year, they need to make this request to the Admissions Office, but Hub staff members are still interested in discussing this option with new students. This option is only available to new students who have not completed a course at CC. Once a student has completed a course or missed the drop deadline for their first course, they need to request a leave or a block off as the gap option is no longer available to them.

Block off

Students who want to take one block off, need to complete a Block Off form. There is not a refund if a student only takes off one block.

If a student wants to take off more than one block, they need to complete a leave form. In pre-Covid times, if a student took off 2 blocks in one semester, they would get a partial refund of tuition. Because there are now 12 blocks available this year and students are allowed to take 10 for the price of 8 blocks, refunds are dependent upon how many blocks a student takes. 

Withdraw with Intent to Return (Leave)

If students need to take off more than one block, they need to reach out to the Advising Form to complete a Withdraw with Intent to Return form.


A withdraw from is completed by the student if they do not plan to return to CC. Withdraw forms are completed with a Hub staff member. If a student changes their mind after completing a withdraw form, they need to reapply through the admissions office.

show all / hide all

Stellic is Colorado College’s newly adopted platform for degree progress tracking and will provide all students with a breakdown of their remaining general education, major, and minor requirements. Stellic will offer students, advisors, and departments various features within the tool:

For Students:

  • A clear checklist of what it takes to complete any major or minor offered at CC.
  • The ability to review impacts of removed courses (canceled, dropped) to their declared major/minor plans.*
  • Easier course planning, including a four-year block planner. Students can drag, drop, and place courses between blocks, semesters, and even years while keeping track of prerequisite constraints.
  • Students can layer professional tracks, such as pre-health or pre-engineering, in addition to planning for any major or minor.

For Advisors:

  • Better reporting and tracking of declared students and their progress toward their degree.
  • Easily accommodate and approve exceptions for program requirements with either transfer work or otherwise approved coursework.
  • Multiple audit versions reflecting changes in department requirements.
  • A clear list of advisees, including contact information, GPA, and the ability to email groups or a single advisee, take notes, and review student interests such as pre-health and pre-law tracks.

Stellic is now easily accessible from the Single Sign-On page in addition to being found within Banner. Training videos and Q/A webinars are being developed in partnership between the Registrar’s office, the Student Opportunities and Advising Hub (the Hub), and the Colket Center for Academic Excellence. These resources will be available on the Hub website.

*It is important to note that Stellic is a planning tool and students will still need to go into Banner for pre-registration, the add/drop process and any other official updates.

show all / hide all

In speaking with your students, you’ll likely find yourself being asked many questions that go beyond the scope of your expertise as an advisor and educator. Below are a series of potential questions and issues, as well as campus resources you can speak with or to whom you can refer your students.

It is also possible that the students you advise may be struggling with multiple or complex issues, or who simply don’t seem to be thriving at Colorado College. If this is the case, we encourage you to reach out to the Care Team (formerly Students of Concern.) The Care Team is a multi-departmental group of staff members that convene weekly to discuss students of concern.  The group members represent both academic affairs and student life.  The Team coordinates outreach, support and referrals to support the student of concern.  The Care Team responds to concerns about students who are struggling with academic personal, mental or physical health issues that interfere with their ability to be successful.  Faculty, staff, students, parents and friends can all reach out to the Care Team. You can complete this form or you may email Teresa Leopold, the Director of Student Support with your concerns. If the situation is an emergency or needs an immediate response, please call Campus Safety at 719-389-6707.

Where should I refer an advisee who is struggling in a class?

The Colket Center for Academic Excellence, as well as the services that comprise it (The Writing Center, the Quantitative Reasoning Center, the Cultural and Linguistic Diversity Specialist, and the Thesis Writing Specialist) are prepared to assist students who are struggling in class in a variety of ways. For questions about the Writing Center or the QRC, contact Anna Webb. The Cultural and Linguistic Diversity Specialist is Chelsea Walter. The Thesis Writing Specialist is Mia Alvarado.

Where should I refer a student with physical or learning disability?

Students seeking accomodation for a physical or learning disability should contact Accessibility Resources.

Where should I refer a student who wants to pursue an Independently Designed Major?

Students who are interested in an Independently Designed Major (IDM) should contact Aaron Stoller, Director of Academic Programs. Information on IDM can be found on the Academic Programs website.

Where should I refer a student with concerns about housing?

Students with concerns about housing should contact the Office of Housing.

Where should I refer a student who would like to know about semester-abroad opportunities?

Students who are interested in semester-abroad opportunities should contact Heather Powell Browne in the Center for Global Education and Field Study.

Where should I refer a students who is experiencing financial struggles?

Students who are experiencing financial struggles should be in contact with the Office of Financial Aid and Student Employment. Their FAQ Page covers a wide variety of questions and topics your student may have.

Where should I refer a student who is struggling emotionally or experiencing mental health challenges?

The Counseling Center is dedicated to supporting the educational mission of The Colorado College by providing professional mental health services to students. There is no fee for the first six sessions of counseling.

The Wellness Resource Center works to create an holistic environment which nurtures the development of the whole person and empowers individuals to make healthy lifestyle choices.

Where should I refer a students who want to me more involved in the community?

There are a variety of options for students who are pursuing community involvement. The Collaborative for Community Engagement provides students and faculty opportunities to connect with the Colorado Springs community, while various student organizations on campus provide students the opportunity to connect with other students in community.

Students who are interested in community based on affinity/identity can connect with many student organizations that are seeking the same thing, and can also connect with the Butler Center and the Chaplain's Office.

Where should I refer a student who is interested in pursuing internship and job opportunities?

We reccomend that students who are pursuing internships and job opportunities connect with Departments and Programs that align with the kinds of opportunities they're looking for. Additionally, the Career Center is a great resource for both students and recent graduates in looking for internships and job opportunities.

Where should I refer a student who is interested in undergraduate research?

The Advising Hub has put together a page on Student Research Opportunities that can be very helpful for students looking for undergraduate research. For more information, contact Lisa Schwartz, Student Opportunities Manager.

Academic and Department Chairs can also be a valuable resource.

Where should I refer as student who is a good candidate for competitive grants and fellowships?

Roy Jo Sartin in the Colket Center specializes in working with applicants for fellowships and grants, and is happy to help connect potential applicants with these opportunities.


Where should I refer a student who seems to be struggling for a number of reasons or is just failing to thrive at CC?

 We recommend that students who are struggling, in crisis, or failing to thrive for a number of reasons be referred to the Care Team (described above).

show all / hide all

Report an issue - Last updated: 03/08/2022

Table of Contents

  •    I. Overview of Academic Advising
    • Mission
    • Learning Outcomes
    • Structure of Academic Advising
    • Teaching and Academic Advising
    • Advising Guidelines
  •    II. Expectations for Advisors
    • The Doctrine of Apparent Authority and Advising Responsibilities
    • Title IX and Being a Responsible Employee
    • FERPA
  •    III. Expectations for Students
  •    IV. General Education Requirements
  •    V. Graduation
  •    VI. Majors, Minors, and Double Majors
    • Requirements for a Major
    • Double Major
    • Minors
  •    VII. Registering for Courses
    • Preregistration and the Points System
    • Adding/Dropping a Course
    • Auditing a Course
    • Course Substitutions
  •    VIII. Transfer and Advanced Standing Credit
  •    IX. Grading
  •    X. Study Abroad
  •    XI. Advising International Students
  •    XII. Student Leave of Absence
  •    XIII. Stellic Advising Platform
  •    XIV. Campus Resources and Referrals