Independent Study during Summer Session
All independent studies must be approved by the chair of the department or program. Depending on the department's available independent study course numbers, first year students, or those with no previous coursework in the department, are not eligible to enroll.
- Faculty may plan independent study with CC students over the Summer Session term.
- Faculty may work with up to three students over the summer at the independent study rate pay.
- The independent study pay rate is based on faculty rank.
- Salaries for independent study courses are processed once a final grade is entered in Banner.
- Faculty may not plan independent study courses that are regularly scheduled blocks in the same Summer Session term.
- When appropriate, students and faculty may work into August, or into "Block C" which is reserved for independent study only.
Students should fill out the Independent Study Proposal on Summit. For final approval by the Director of Summer Session the student should present:
- a course outline or syllabus
- dates of the study
- course number and subtitle
Following approval of the Director of Summer Session, the Registrar will create the course.
Students should be directed to the Summer Session web site for information about applying for summer independent study. The tuition for one unit is $4,600.
- The Wild Card may NOT be used for independent study
- Independent Study is not eligible for summer financial aid.
For further information, call Jim Burke at X6656 or email firstname.lastname@example.org