Dropping a Course
Dropping a Summer Session Course
For off-campus Summer Session course add/drop/transfer and cancellation information, see the International Programs web-pages.
- Notifying your professor does not release you from financial obligations; while courteous, it does not withdraw you from your course.
- Students can drop their course through Banner up until 3 weeks before the Block begins
- After this period, the Drop function will no longer be available in Banner and students must go to the Registrar's Office to withdraw from their course
- Any charges will be based on the date the Registrar's Office dropped the course registration.
- See below for drop dates and related fees.
Tuition Penalties for Dropping On-campus Courses
Dropping an on-campus Summer Session course results in financial consequences. The table below explains the penalties.
Dropping an on-campus Summer Session Course without replacing it with another Course.
Up to 3 weeks prior to course start date
|Not charged, refunded if paid|
3 weeks prior up to the 3rd day of block
|30% tuition charged|
After the 3rd day of Block
|100% tuition charged|
Transferring from one Summer Session Course to another (Drop, Add Different Course)
- Within the period of three weeks before a course starts and the third day of its start date, students may exchange registration for other courses that carry the same total unit values with no tuition penalty.
- If a change in courses during this period results in enrollment for fewer units*, students will be charged 30% of the tuition costs for the number of units dropped and not replaced.
|Course Drop with Add||Tuition Penalties|
|Same number units of credit||Not charged if transferred to new course|
Fewer number units of credit*
|30% tuition charged on difference in units dropped and not replaced|
Course Cancellations by Summer Session Office
Summer Session makes every effort to avoid canceling any summer course.
- On-campus courses that do not meet the minimum enrollment requirement three weeks prior to the start of the course will be cancelled.
- If a course is cancelled, Summer Session will notify enrolled students by email.
- If you are enrolled in a cancelled course, you may transfer any paid tuition to another course or receive a refund of any tuition paid.