All students are required to have health insurance while attending Colorado College and to provide annual proof of coverage.
Colorado College sponsors a comprehensive Student Health Insurance Plan (SHIP) underwritten by United Healthcare and administered by Specialty Insurance Solutions, Inc. Your student account will be billed the cost of the SHIP at the beginning of each mandatory coverage period (Annual plan in August, Spring/Summer plan in January) and in June if you elect to enroll in the Summer Only coverage period. All students must either enroll in or waive out of the school sponsored plan by going to the Student Enrollment/Waiver Portal.
SUMMER 2018 PLAN ENROLLMENT/WAIVER PERIOD: MAY 15 TO JUNE 15, 2018. The Summer Semester/Session Plan is for students who are newly enrolled at Colorado College for that semester/session or who have a Qualifying Life Event and have lost their coverage elsewhere. This is not a mandatory enrollment period, so the portal will not be available and no waiver is required. If you wish to voluntarily enroll in the Summer Plan, please contact Kim Taylor at 719-389-6386 or KTaylor@coloradocollege.edu to obtain an enrollment form and submit it to her between May 15 and June 15.
YOU MUST TAKE ONE OF THE FOLLOWING ACTIONS DURING THE MANDATORY ENROLLMENT/WAIVER PERIOD FOR THE 2018-2019 ACADEMIC YEAR:
- WAIVE the Colorado College Student Health Insurance Plan by providing proof of a comparable health insurance plan. Once the waiver is submitted and approved, the student account charge will be reversed. See waiver process below.
- ENROLL in the Colorado College Student Health Insurance Plan by following the online link and instructions below. You will not be enrolled in or covered by the insurance until the enrollment form is
completeand approved, regardless of whether or not your student account was charged.
IF YOU TAKE NO ACTION DURING MANDATORY ENROLLMENT/WAIVER PERIODS, THE STUDENT ACCOUNT WILL STILL BE CHARGED. THERE WILL BE NO REFUNDS OR REVERSALS OF CHARGES PAST THE END OF THE WAIVER/ENROLLMENT PERIOD END DATES.
Once in the enrollment/waiver portal, select the link to either Enroll or Waive and enter the required information. The process will take just a few minutes to complete:
If you are covered by a comparable health insurance plan, you must submit a waiver to have the student account charge reversed. To be eligible for
- Plans must include an unlimited medical and prescription drug benefit.
- Plans must NOT have a pre-existing condition limitation.
- Plans must include the essential health benefits as outlined here.
- The auditors will be determining whether your plan provides non-emergency (full coverage) in Colorado. If your policy does not provide full coverage in Colorado, your waiver may still be approved, but you will be notified of the coverage limitation so you can take the necessary steps to obtain full coverage.
- Coverage must be active as of the first day of classes and remain active for the academic year.
- The Insurance Company must be owned and operated in the U.S.
If your plan meets the above requirements, you can enter the
If you are not covered under a comparable health insurance plan, you MUST enroll annually in the college-sponsored Student Health Insurance Plan. Enrollment MUST be completed through the online Student Portal in order for coverage to be activated. You will not be enrolled in or covered by the insurance until the enrollment form is completed and approved, regardless of whether or not your student account was charged. The DEADLINES to ENROLL ARE LISTED ABOVE. No refunds will be issued past these dates.
Once enrolled in the Colorado College sponsored Student Health Insurance Plan, students will receive an email from Specialty Insurance Solutions, Inc. and from United HealthCare with information about how to log into the United Healthcare Student Resources site to print an ID card or request a hard copy.
Questions regarding either insurance waiver or enrollment may be directed to Kimberly Taylor, Student Insurance Coordinator at 719-389-6386 or by emailing Kimberly.Taylor@coloradocollege.edu.
USING INSURANCE AT THE STUDENT HEALTH CENTER: As an established medical practice, DaVita Medical Group will accept most major insurance plans and will bill plans directly for services they deliver to CC students. Student insurance information will be collected at the time of visit and billing for services will be completed after the student is seen.