All students are required to have health insurance while attending Colorado College and to provide annual proof of coverage.
Colorado College sponsors a comprehensive Student Health Insurance Plan (SHIP) underwritten by United Healthcare and administered by Specialty Insurance Solutions, Inc. Your student account will be billed the cost of the SHIP at the beginning of each coverage period (Annual plan in August, Spring/Summer plan in January, and Summer plan in June) and all students must either enroll in or waive out of the school sponsored plan by going to the Student Enrollment/Waiver Portal.
THE ENROLLMENT AND WAIVER PERIODS FOR THE 2016-2017 PLAN OPENS ON THE FOLLOWING DATES:
- ANNUAL PLAN ENROLLMENT/WAIVER PERIOD: JULY 1, 2016 TO SEPTEMBER 5, 2016.
- SPRING/SUMMER PLAN ENROLLMENT/WAIVER PERIOD: DECEMBER 15, 2016 TO FEBRUARY 1, 2017.
- SUMMER PLAN ENROLLMENT/WAIVER PERIOD: MAY 15 TO JUNE 15, 2017
YOU MUST TAKE ONE OF THE FOLLOWING ACTIONS DURING THESE ENROLLMENT/WAIVER PERIOD:
- WAIVE the Colorado College Student Health Insurance Plan by providing proof of a comparable family health insurance plan. Once the waiver is submitted and approved, the student account charge will be reversed. See waiver process below.
- ENROLL in the Colorado College Student Health Insurance Plan by following the online link and instructions below. You will not be enrolled in or covered by the insurance until the enrollment form is complete and approved, regardless of whether or not your student account was charged.
IF YOU TAKE NO ACTION, THE STUDENT ACCOUNT WILL STILL BE CHARGED. THERE WILL BE NO REFUNDS OR REVERSALS OF CHARGES PAST THE END OF THE WAIVER/ENROLLMENT PERIOD END DATES.
The Spring/Summer and Summer plans are for students who are newly enrolled at Colorado College for that semester/session or have a Qualifying Life Event and have lost their coverage elsewhere.
Once in the enrollment/waiver portal, select the link to either Enroll or Waive and enter the required information. The process will take just a few minutes to complete:
If you are covered by a comparable health insurance plan, you must submit a waiver to have the student account charge reversed. To be eligible for waiver, your insurance must be considered "comparable" and meet all of the following criteria:
- Your coverage must meet Affordable Care Act (ACA) requirements
- Coverage must be active as of August 1, 2016 (Annual Plan), January 1, 2017 (Spring/Summer Plan) and June 1 (Summer Plan) and remain active for the remainder of the academic year
- The insurance company must be owned and operated in the U.S.
- We strongly urge selection of a plan with a deductible of $2,500 or less, per person. Plans with higher deductibles will be considered as long as all other ACA requirements have been met. Complete the waiver process first. If your plan is tentatively denied due to the deductible, the High Deductible Form will be provided and must be completed to receive an approval.
- Additionally, the auditors will be determining whether your plan provides non-emergency care in Colorado. If your policy does not provide this care, your waiver may still be approved, but you will be notified of this exclusion so you are aware and can plan accordingly.
If your plan meets the above requirements, you can enter the on-line Student Portal. Once in the Waiver Portal, follow the instructions and provide the requested information. Our insurance consultant, Specialty Insurance Solutions, Inc., will validate your plan and let you know if your insurance was approved or if they need further information. Once approved, you will receive an email from Specialty Insurance. Your student account will be credited the full premium amount.
If you are not covered under a family health insurance plan, you MUST enroll annually in the college-sponsored Student Health Insurance Plan. Enrollment MUST be completed through the online Student Portal in order for coverage to be activated. You will not be enrolled in or covered by the insurance until the enrollment form is completed and approved, regardless of whether or not your student account was charged. The DEADLINES to ENROLL ARE LISTED ABOVE. No refunds will be issued past these dates.
Once enrolled in the Colorado College sponsored Student Health Insurance Plan, students will receive an email from Specialty Insurance and from United HealthCare with information about how to log into the Student Portal to print an ID card or request a hard copy.
To learn more about the Student Health Insurance Plan coverage and to view or print the brochure, click on the images below. Questions regarding either insurance waiver or enrollment may be directed to Kimberly Taylor, Student Insurance Coordinator at 719-389-6386 or by emailing Kimberly.Taylor@coloradocollege.edu.
USING INSURANCE AT THE STUDENT HEALTH CENTER: As an established medical practice, CSHP will accept most major insurance plans and will bill plans directly for services they deliver to CC students. Student insurance information will be collected at the time of visit and billing for services will be completed after the student is seen.
Student Health Center
1106 North Cascade Avenue
Colorado Springs, CO 80903