All students are required to have comprehensive health insurance while attending Colorado College AND to provide annual proof of coverage. We have this requirement in an attempt to minimize catastrophic financial risk for students. Students may elect coverage under their own insurance, through their employer or their parents' policies, or the through the Student Health Insurance Plan offered by the college.
- Insurance Carrier: Anthem (Denver, Colorado)
- Claims Administrator: AmeriBen (Boise, Idaho)
- Waiver/Eligibility Administrator remains the same: Specialty Insurance Solutions, Inc. (Lenexa, Kansas)
The 2019-2020 SHIP Brochure has more information about the coverage provided in the plan.
Colorado College SHIP participants have access to the following resources:
- Anthem will waive co-pays for all diagnostic testing related to COVID-19. This policy will cover the test kit for patients who meet CDC guidelines for testing, which can be done in any approved laboratory location. Anthem will waive the member costs associated with diagnostic testing at any authorized location.
- Anthem has telemedicine services available through LiveHealth Online. SHIP members should use telemedicine as their first line of defense in order to limit potential exposure in physician offices. To access begin here: https://livehealthonline.com/
The Spring/Summer Student Health Insurance waiver/enrollment period opens on December 16 and closes January 31. Any student who was enrolled in the SHIP for the Fall 2019 semester and will remain enrolled for the Spring 2020 semester will automatically remain active on the SHIP plan for the remainder of the year (January 1-July 31, 2020). ALL OTHER STUDENTS (i.e., new Winter Start Students, or those who will be returning to campus after a Leave of Absence or Study Abroad, etc.) MUST either enroll in or waive out of the school sponsored plan by going to the Student Enrollment/Waiver Portal. Completing this process early will allow you faster access to your SHIP plan. Your student account will be billed the cost of the SHIP at the beginning of each mandatory enrollment period.
The cost of the SHIP for annual enrollment is $2,770, which will be billed by semester:
- The cost of the SHIP for the FALL is $1,170.
- The cost of the SHIP for the SPRING/SUMMER is $1,600.
Again, any student who was enrolled in the SHIP for the Fall 2019 semester and will remain enrolled for the Spring 2020 semester will remain active on the SHIP plan. The Spring/Summer Waiver Enrollment period is Mandatory for any new WSO students and any students who are returning to campus after being away during the fall semester. THESE STUDENTS MUST TAKE ONE OF THE FOLLOWING ACTIONS DURING THE MANDATORY ENROLLMENT/WAIVER PERIOD FOR THE SPRING/SUMMER ENROLLMENT PERIOD:
- WAIVE the Colorado College Student Health Insurance Plan by providing proof of a comparable health insurance plan. Once the waiver is submitted and approved, the student account charge will be reversed. See waiver process below.
- ENROLL in the Colorado College Student Health Insurance Plan by following the online link and instructions below. You will not be enrolled in or covered by the insurance until the enrollment form is
completeand approved, regardless of whether or not your student account was charged.
IF YOU TAKE NO ACTION DURING MANDATORY ENROLLMENT/WAIVER PERIODS, THE STUDENT ACCOUNT WILL STILL BE CHARGED. THERE WILL BE NO REFUNDS OR REVERSALS OF CHARGES PAST THE END OF THE WAIVER/ENROLLMENT PERIOD END DATES.
Once in the enrollment/waiver portal, select the link to either Enroll or Waive and enter the required information. The process will take just a few minutes to complete:
If you are covered by a comparable health insurance plan, you must submit a waiver to have the student account charge reversed. To be eligible for
- Plans must include an unlimited medical and prescription drug benefit.
- Plans must NOT have a pre-existing condition limitation.
- Plans must include the essential health benefits as outlined here.
- The auditors will be determining whether your plan provides non-emergency (full coverage) in Colorado. If your policy does not provide full coverage in Colorado, your waiver may still be approved, but you will be notified of the coverage limitation so you can take the necessary steps to obtain full coverage.
- Coverage must be active as of the first day of classes and remain active for the academic year.
- The Insurance Company must be owned and operated in the U.S.
If your plan meets the above requirements, you can enter the
If you are not covered under a comparable health insurance plan, you MUST enroll annually in the college-sponsored Student Health Insurance Plan. Enrollment MUST be completed through the online Student Portal in order for coverage to be activated. You will not be enrolled in or covered by the insurance until the enrollment form is completed and approved, regardless of whether or not your student account was charged. The DEADLINES to ENROLL ARE LISTED ABOVE. No refunds will be issued past these dates.
Once enrolled in the Colorado College sponsored Student Health Insurance Plan, students will receive an email from Specialty Insurance Solutions, Inc. with information about coverage dates and premiums, and from AmeriBen with information about how to log into the MyAmeriBen site to access their healthcare account information including their insurance ID card.
Questions regarding either insurance waiver or enrollment may be directed to Kimberly Taylor, Student Insurance Coordinator at 719-389-6386 or by emailing Kimberly.Taylor@coloradocollege.edu.
USING INSURANCE AT THE STUDENT HEALTH CENTER: As an established medical practice, Optum will accept most major insurance plans and will bill plans directly for services they deliver to CC students. Student insurance information will be collected at the time of visit and billing for services will be completed after the student is seen.