Skip to main content

Transfer Credit Guidelines

Writing Requirement for Transfers

It's possible to complete the writing requirement with transfer work, but there are a few options. Please visit the Writing Center webpage to find out more:

Transfer credit guidelines for coursework completed at other institutions

Colorado College does accept transfer credit for previous college work completed by a student. The following is a set of guidelines used in awarding of academic credit from an accredited institution or approved program.

  • To earn credit at Colorado College, all transfer credit must come from a regionally accredited, degree-granting college or university (including community colleges), or a program preapproved by the CC Center for Global Education and Field Study. Coursework taken Online follows these same standards.
  • Students who have completed work at other colleges and who wish to have this work credited toward a CC degree must have official transcripts from those colleges sent directly to the registrar at Colorado College. Course descriptions/syllabi for each course may also be requested.
  • Students who wish to complete a semester abroad or study away as domestic exchange students must receive approval from the Center for Global Education and Field Study, department chairs or program directors and the registrar's office for all course work prior to enrolling.
  • A letter grade of 'C-' or higher is required to earn transfer credit. 'D+' and below will not earn transfer credit at Colorado College. Courses for which a Pass or Satisfactory was earned at another college will earn credit at Colorado College ONLY if the college can provide verification that the student passed with a letter grade of "C-" or higher.
  • Courses must be substantially similar to Colorado College courses, and cannot duplicate, overlap, or regress from previous work.

FAQs • Colorado College

  • The college will award up to eight total units (sophomore standing) in transfer credit to incoming first-year students.
  • A transfer student can only transfer in a maximum of 16 CC units, combined total, (AP, IB, other college).
  • Language courses taken online will not complete Colorado College's all-college language requirement.
  • One Colorado College unit is equivalent to 4 semester hours, or 6 quarter hours.Grades do not transfer to Colorado College and are not calculated into the Colorado College GPA, (grade point average).
  • For college study during secondary school, please see additional requirements listed under Advanced Placement credit.Courses taken in disciplines offered at Colorado College are evaluated by the registrar in consultation with department chairs or program directors. The department chair or program director is the final authority on credit earned in his/her discipline.
  • Credit can be awarded for liberal arts courses taken in disciplines not offered by CC upon review by the registrar. If approved, these courses will be awarded general elective credit.
Report an issue - Last updated: 12/17/2020