Update from President Jill Tiefenthaler
Dear Campus Community,
Last week, the Board of Trustees held their regular February meeting. I am happy to provide you with a summary of their discussions, decisions, and activities.
During their meetings, the board learned about the concerns that have been raised about the Antiracism Implementation Plan. Trustees understand and fully support CC’s goal to become an antiracist institution. I explained to the board that we will do more to listen to the community’s ideas and concerns as we refine the implementation plan.
Trustees had the opportunity to meet members of the Parents Council, the Fine Arts Center Advisory Board, and the FAC’s director-elect, Idris Goodwin. Trustees also attended a meeting of the Climate Change Task Force during which trustee John Troubh, chair of the board’s Investment Committee, gave a presentation on CC’s endowment. Many trustees also attended Professor David Hendrickson’s “last lecture,” and the State of the Rockies symposium.
As you know from Susie Burghart’s update to the CC community, the board elected Provost Alan Townsend to serve as interim president, effective August 1, 2020. They also launched a presidential search process with the goal of having a new president join CC in the summer of 2021.
Trustees received reports from Dean of the Faculty Claire Oberon Garcia; Provost Alan Townsend; Professor Wade Roberts, chair of the Faculty Executive Committee; and Ethan Greenberg ’20, president of the CCSGA. The board also approved several items, including:
- Tuition for the 2020-21 academic year at $60,390 and the comprehensive fee for students living on campus at $74,256. The 2020-21 budget includes a significant increase in financial aid and increases in the salary pools for faculty and staff.
- Tenure and promotion to six faculty members: Rebecca Barnes (Environmental Studies), Amanda Bowman (Chemistry & Biochemistry), Elizabeth Coggins (Political Science), Kevin Holmes (Psychology), Pamela Reaves (Religion), and Christiane Steckenbiller (German, Russian, and East Asian Languages).
- Emeriti status for faculty members who will retire at the end of the 2019-20 academic year: Professors Victoria Levine (Music), David Hendrickson (Political Science), Jeff Noblett (Geology), and Dave Mason (English).
- New Charter Trustees who will join the board in June 2020: Eric Duran ’91, D.H.L.’15, Frieda Ekotto ’86, D. Litt.’18, Jane Franke ’84, P’17, and France Winddance Twine D.H.L’19.
- Honorary trustee status for U.S. Rep. Diana DeGette ’79, congresswoman for the 1st District of Colorado, and a CC charter trustee from 1988-94.
- Candidates for honorary degrees to be awarded at Commencement and Opening Convocation, 2020.
- Candidates to participate in the student trustee election conducted by the CCSGA.
The board’s next meeting is its annual retreat, June 10-12, 2020.