February 2015 Trustee Update
March 2, 2015
Dear Campus Community,
The Board of Trustees was on campus this past weekend for the regular February meeting. The trustees began their meeting with dinner and a talk by inaugural Journalist in Residence and CC parent Hampton Sides.
The board approved several items during its Saturday business meeting, including:
- Tuition for the 2015-16 academic year at $48,576, with a mandatory student activities fee of $420. For students living on campus, the comprehensive fee will be $60,210, with a standard double room rate of $6,547 and the meal plan C rate of $4,668.
- The election of new charter trustees Jerome DeHerrera ’97; Ian Griffis ’85; Ryan Haygood ’97; Jeff Keller ’91; John Troubh ’79; and Amy Louis ’84 (term to commence in 2016-17).
- The election of new student trustee James Lonergan ’16.
- Tenure and promotion to associate professor for Marie Davis-Green, Theatre and Dance; Emilie Gray, Organismal Biology and Ecology; Andreea Marinescu, Spanish; Jared Richman, English; and Sanjaya Thakur, Classics.
- Emeritus status for Richard Storey, retired dean of the college and professor of biology.
- Changes to Part Two of the Faculty Handbook pertaining to tenure procedure (VII. B), recruitment procedures (IV. A), denial of tenure (XIII. D. 2) and dismissal of tenured faculty (XIII. D.3). (All changes were approved at the Block 3 and 4 faculty meetings.)
- Adoption of the Campus Master Plan.
In addition to reports from Dean Wong and me, the board heard reports from Gail Murphy-Geiss, outgoing chair of the Faculty Executive Committee, and CCSGA President Alejandro Salazar. The board thanked both of them for their work and dedication.
On Friday, the board’s three Strategic Project Teams and Standing Committees met.
Campaign Planning – Trustees discussed the campaign timeline and also received an update on the feasibility study.
Library Planning – Trustees heard from the schematic design architect, Pfeiffer Partners, on next steps for the library renovation.
Campus Master Plan/Communications Master Plan – Trustees heard the final presentation on the Campus Master Plan by consultants Atkin Olshin Schade Architects and OLIN Landscape Architects. They also received an update on the Communications Master Plan.
Buildings, Grounds, & Infrastructure – Trustees discussed next steps toward campus carbon reduction. In addition, they received reports on hail damage repairs and IT network improvements.
Investment – Trustees reviewed the asset allocation model and portfolio liquidity. Monticello Associates gave an update on the quarterly market review.
Governance – The committee met with students in a question-and-answer session. They also discussed and recommended approval of the new charter trustees and student trustee.
Budget & Finance – Trustees discussed and recommended approval of the 2015-16 comprehensive fee and budget. In addition, the committee discussed financing options to bridge campaign giving and initiate strategic projects.
The trustees are impressed with our progress. Their next meeting is a retreat in June, but many board members look forward to joining us for Commencement festivities. Thank you to everyone who contributed to the success of this meeting. Please let me know if you have any questions.