Phone Upgrade Project
ITS: is rolling out a new Cisco voice over IP (VOIP) phone system to the campus this year. The new phones look like this:
We are going building by building and setting up the phones 1 by 1.
- We'll get the phone physically set up first, and then it will show "detecting network".
- The next step is to activate the phone for outgoing calls (incoming calls will still arrive at your old phone), which might be a few weeks or even months after step 1.
- Finally, we'll complete the migration so your new phone also takes incoming calls and the old phone will no longer function - note that we need your voicemail box to be clear to do this so we're sure you don't miss an important voicemail. We cannot migrate voicemail from the old system to the new system.
- After we give it a little time to make sure it's working, we'll be back to remove the old phone and help you out with any questions you might have.
There's a 40-minute video provided by Cisco that's a good starting point for learning the features of your new phone.
See our guide to setting up voicemail once your phone is activated.
Quick reference guide that's a printable 1 page (front and back) look at basic functions.
Note that, once begun, each building takes roughly 2 weeks to complete the process summarized above.
- Week of 10/8 - Begin Palmer
- Week of 10/15 - Begin Tutt Science
- Week of 10/22 - Begin Children's Center, Cossitt, and Special Senior Status House
- Week of 10/29 - Begin Central Plant, Ticknor, Bemis, Loomis
- Week of 11/05 - Begin Mierow House and South Hall
- Week of 11/12 - Begin Honnen and El Pomar
- Week of 11/19 - Begin Van Briggle
- Week of 12/03 - Begin Outdoor Education, Art/3D shop, Collins, Community Engagement
- Week of 12/10 - Begin Creekside, Dern House, Gill House, Hamlin House
- Week of 12/17 - Begin Interdisciplinary House, Innovation House, Johnson, Lennox, JLK, Mathias, Sustainability, Print Shop
- January 2019 - Begin Fine Arts Center
- Spring 2019 - Begin Conference Phones
We recommend the following headsets if you'd like to purchase one for your new phone (note that we are currently having trouble with headsets specifically in Tutt Library, which we think is an issue with the network switches in the building):