Keck GIS Commons
Established by W.M. Keck Sense of Place grant and the Dean's Office. We are located in Palmer Hall Room 1.
Click here to learn more about GIS at CC, or contact Beth Scaffidi, GIS Administrator:
Beth's free time slots for consultations in Palmer 01 are listed here.
Services we provide:
- Licensing ArcMap and other geospatial software for use on and off-campus
- Assist faculty, students, and staff with acquiring spatial data and maps
- Provide research design consultations
- Support GIS use in faculty and student research projects
- Assist and train Faculty to integrate GIS in classes and research
- Beginner, intermediate, and advanced GIS training
- Training on data design and collection methods with ArcOnline, Trimbles, etc.
The lab is staffed from 8:30 AM – 5 PM, Monday through Friday. Additional night and weekend hours will be scheduled during the academic year based on student worker availability.
Reserving Lab for Courses:
To reserve GIS instruction, support, and computers in any space (Palmer 1, Palmer 1 & 2, Palmer 1, or Barnes), follow these steps:
1. Log into single-sign in (please do this first!).
2. Visit the GIS Lab reservations link. Reserve through this link, not the general Campus Events Management tab.
3. Decide how many seats (and thus, which labs you need). The maximum capacity for Palmer 1 is 18 stations. Note that if you enter a number higher than that in the reservation link, your space search will not show that the space is available. If you have more students than that and are OK working in pairs, Palmer 1 can still work, but you can't enter more than 18 students in your search.
The maximum capacity for Palmer 1 + Palmer 2 is 44 stations. If you need more than 18 workstations please book Palmer 2 or Barnes.
You can view the maximum capacity for the other computer labs on campus here.
You may also view existing reservations for the Palmer 1 lab outside of the events management system here.
Professors needing after-hours access for their students should email firstname.lastname@example.org with a list of student names, start, and end date. I will provide that list to campus security and post it on the lab door. When students need access, they will call the campus security non-emergency number (719) 389-7607 and ask to be let in.
Lab space is limited, so please read and follow lab protocols so we can make the best use of our time and space.
GIS Lab Facilities
19 High end workstations
15 Dell Optiplex 990
- Intel Core i7-2600 @ 3.4 GHz (Quad core and HT)
- 8 - 16 GIGs RAM
- 350 GIG HDs
4 Dell Precision T3500
- Intel XEON W3690 @ 3.47 GHz (Six Cores and HT)
- 12 GIGs ECC RAM
- 1TB+ HDs
Data Storage Server
Dell PowerEdge R510
- Dual Intel Xeon W3690 @ 3.47GHz (12 Cores and HT)
- 52+ Terabytes storage Capacity
ArcSDE for Server Workgroup
- MS SQL Server Express 2008
- 10 Simultaneous connections to multiuser geodatabase
- 10GB Multiuser geodatabase storage capacity
- 1TB total storage capacity
Specialized Software Installed on Palmer Lab Computers
Windows 7 64 Bit
- ArcGIS Online
- ArcGIS Pro v1.0
- ESRI ArcGIS Deskop Advanced v10.3.1
- ESRI ArcPAD v10.2.2
- ESRI CityEngine 2015.1
- ET Geowizards
- Geospatial Modeling Environment (SpatialEcology.com)
- Global Earthquake Explorer
- Google Earth Pro
- R and RStudio
- Saga GIS
- Trimble Pathfinder Office (limited seats)
in VirtualPC - XP Mode
- ESRI ArcINFO Desktop v9.3.1
- Hawths Tools
- ESRI ArcVIEW 3.3