Academic Year Blocks Off-Campus & CC Semesters Abroad
The Office of International Programs has developed a faculty handbook for developing and leading blocks abroad. You access the faculty handbook on the Canvas course entitled, "Faculty Leaders of Blocks Off-Campus." If you have not received an invite to this Canvas course, please contact Inger Bull to be added.
Summer Blocks Off-Campus
Summer 2017 proposals will be available in August with an anticipated due date of mid-September.
Are you travelling abroad on college business?
Faculty and staff travelling on college business
International SOS+UHP bundle
What is it?
· Provides emergency assistance while abroad
o Pre-trip planning resources via website, smart phone app, and phone call to an assistance center for pre-travel information (e.g., vaccination, medication, security)
o Arranges, coordinates, pays for approved medical care
o Advises on loss of travel documents or legal assistance
o No copays or out of pocket expenses when SOS and UHP approve and coordinate your care
o Covers medical evacuation when approved
o Covers natural disaster and national emergencies
Common examples of international travel eligible for coverage
· Teaching abroad
· Course-development visit
· Research trip
· Scholarship travel to launch your performance/exhibit
· Conference travel
· Sabbatical research abroad
How do I register my travel?
There is no cost for faculty and staff on college business to enroll in International SOS + UHP. The college pays the annual coverage.
· If you are teaching a CC course abroad, the Office of International Programs will register you and your students. We automatically register your trip duration to be from the day before the block/course starts to the day after the block/course ends. If your college business travel days extend beyond these dates, please let the Office of International Programs know.
o For all other business-related travel, you need to register your international trip by completing the SOS Registration Form on Summit.
Any students travelling abroad with you on official college business will need to register their trip too. They should contact the Office of International Programs for the student form.
My family is travelling with me on this work trip. How do I purchase coverage for them?
Family accompanying you during your work-related travel, even if the family members are not engaged in work for the college, can be covered by SOS+UHP. The college does not cover the cost of family coverage.
· Complete the SOS Registration Form on Summit.
· Follow the instructions from the registration process and send the appropriate payment to the Office of International Programs in Armstrong Hall.
Full coverage for each additional family member:
$40 per year plus $1.50 per day
· If your family is accompanying you while you are teaching abroad, you are required to purchase coverage for them. Family coverage is mandatory because should an emergency arise, you, your students, and your family will be assisted using the same emergency response coordination team.
E.g., in an emergency (e.g., a bus accident, disease outbreak, earthquake), you will not need to worry about working with one company (SOS+UHP) for your students and yourself, while working with a different company for treatment or evacuation for your family.
· If your family is accompanying you on other types of work-related travel, the family coverage is highly recommended, but optional.
How do I access SOS+UHP support
You will receive your electronic membership card and policy information after you register your travel online.
· Call International SOS: +1 215-942-8478
Additional numbers for other countries will be on the electronic membership card
· Access online at www.internationalsos.com
CC’s membership number is: 11BSGC000027
The International SOS smartphone app has travel information and alerts, and one-click dial to assistance centers. It is available for Android, iPhone, iPad, Amazon, WP, and BlackBerry.
Questions and additional information
Inger Bull, Director of International Programs