Built in 1953-54, South is home to 265 students. It is located on the east side of campus, giving closer access to some of the science buildings and the activities on the east side. South houses a 24-Hour Added Quiet wing and offers a limited number of larger triple rooms where students can live with two roommates rather than just one. Among the improvements made in the 1996 renovation of South are a “Common Room,” which is used by the entire campus for meetings, presentations, and other group activities; sand volleyball courts located outside; and an enclosed bicycle storage area outside. There is a classroom, kitchen, laundry facilities, computer room, sun deck, and study lounges.