Cottage Housing Process
NOTE: The selection for the Cottages has already taken place for Fall 2017 – Spring 2018; that process was based on first-come, first-served. As of Fall 2018, we will move to a lottery-based system.
The Colorado College Cottages are one housing option available to CC students who have lived on campus for at least 6 semesters. These houses, ranging from studio apartments up to a 6-person house, are designed to combine some of the best aspects of living on-campus, with the responsibilities that come with more independent living (the cottages are part of on-campus housing). Residents sign a lease for an unfurnished cottage, may have a pet (with a $300 nonrefundable pet deposit), and are not required to purchase a meal plan. Amenities include a full-time Residential Life Coordinator, on-call maintenance staff, and utilities, trash removal, wi-fi, and parking are included in the rental cost.To learn about the process to live in the Cottages, please read the 2018-2019 Cottage Selection Guide.
Cottage Selection Overview
Step One: Students should attend an Off Campus/Cottage Selection Info Session
These sessions will detail the application process and allow students an opportunity to ask questions. While attendance is
Step Two: Students must complete the 2018-2019 Cottage Application
Due Date: Nov. 3, 2017 at 5:00pm at the Housing and Conferences Office, Bemis #139
Step Three: Conduct will be verified for applicants.
If 50% or more of the applicants in a group have significant conduct history (College housing restriction or greater sanctions) or have been involved in multiple incidents together, the group application will be ineligible. If you are uncertain whether or not your group qualifies to apply for an apartment together, we suggest that you email Matt Edwards at email@example.com prior to the Nov. 3rd application due date. We will check the conduct history of your group and advise you of your eligibility so that you have time to reconfigure your group if the current configuration isn’t eligible to apply together.
Step Four: Lottery numbers will be issued to applicant(s) via email.
Lottery numbers are randomly generated.
Date of Issuance: November 08, 2017
Step Five: Students will select a Senior Cottage.
Students will select a Cottage and sign the lease on selection day. This is an in-person process.
Date: November 13, 2017
Location: East Campus Main Space
Am I eligible?
- To be eligible to apply for cottage housing, students must begin Block 1 of Fall 2018 having completed six semesters of
- Transfer students should contact Housing and Conferences to determine their eligibility to apply for cottage housing.
Can I apply to more than one cottage configuration?
- A student can apply for more than one cottage configuration (i.e., a studio and a 5-person cottage group), and would
then receive two different lottery numbers. However, students can only apply for one type of cottage, which means
that they cannot be part of multiple groups of the same configuration (i.e., a student cannot be a part of two
4-person cottage applications).
If I apply for multiple configurations, can I put one offer on hold to see if I am able to get another offer?
(i.e., Can I hold an offer for a studio to see if I am offered a 4-person cottage?)
- If you applied for different configurations, you will have to accept or decline an offer when your lottery number comes
up during the selection process rather than keep it on hold. Once you’ve accepted an offer, the other groups you
applied with are void, and those individuals are not eligible for a cottage unless they have signed up with another
group that is still in the process.
Does the entire group have to be present for selection?
- All members of your group do not need to be present for selection. However, those who are not present are giving
their permission for the other member(s) of their group to act on their behalf. Therefore, any decisions that are made
will be binding for the entire group (this includes bedroom selection).
I will be away from campus during the cottage selection process. Can I still apply?
- Yes, you may still participate in the selection process by appointing a proxy. Please email Matt Edwards at
firstname.lastname@example.org with the name of your proxy. Please choose your proxy carefully, as you will be
entrusting this person with the responsibility of handling the application process and/or selection for you.
Are the cottages gender neutral?
- Students are allowed to name any roommate for gender neutral housing purposes, regardless of gender identity.
What are the move in/move out dates?
- Move in will be Aug 25, 2018
- Move out will be May 21, 2019
During the year, how will roommates be replaced if they leave?
- If a student vacates at any time, the remaining roommates will have the opportunity to name a new roommate (must
have completed 6 semesters on campus). If they do not, Housing and Conferences will assign someone to the cottage
utilizing the wait list process.
- Attended one of the Off Campus/Cottage Selection Info Sessions
- Checked with RLC regarding any conduct issues
- Completed and submitted the desired cottage application(s) - Due Date: November 3rd at 5pm
- Received your cottage group lottery number - November 8th
- Know when and where the cottage selection is for your configuration - November 13th