Skip to main content


Spring 2021: COVID-19 & Immigration FAQs for International Students

Updated January 14, 2021

The following items relate to Colorado College's announced plans to resume in-person classes for the Spring semester. On December 9, 2020, the Student and Exchange Visitor Program (SEVP) announced that schools and students in F-1 status should continue to follow the Fall 2020 SEVP guidance for the Spring 2021 semester.  For details of how this most recent immigration guidance affects F-1 students at CC, please take a moment to review the Spring 2021 COVID-19 & Immigration FAQs below.  If you have any questions or concerns, please do not hesitate to reach out to ISSS.



How many classes do I need to take to maintain my F1 status for the Spring semester?

Enroll full-time (at least 3 units) for three of the four blocks of Spring semester.  You may request to take one block off.

Can I enroll in online courses exclusively while in Colorado?

No.  You must enroll in a class with an in-person component for each block.  This is a class coded as In-person, Hybrid, or Flex.  The safest way to protect your immigration status is to enroll in a class with an in-person component each block. The minimum requirement is one class with an in-person component for the Spring semester.  We also recommend that you enroll in a class with an in-person component as early in the term as possible if it becomes necessary for CC to move to online instruction only as we saw in the Fall semester.

Can I take online courses from other locations within the United States?

No. If you are within the United States, current immigration policy requires that you are physically present in class at Colorado College.  You should enroll in a class with an in-person component for each block of the Spring semester.  It is not possible to study online from another location in the USA.

When should I return to campus from Winter Break?

ISSS recommends that you enter the U.S. before the start of Block 5.  If you decide to enter the U.S. after the start of Spring semester, the latest you can return to campus is the beginning of Block 6 (03/01/2021) if you take Block 5 off.  Physical presence is important when an F-1 student is inside the U.S.   ISSS cannot predict if CBP will allow an F-1 student to enter the U.S. after the semester has begun.  

Do not return to campus after the beginning of Block 6 as SEVIS registration is done on a semesterly basis and we will report to SEVP what your term plans are (inside or outside the U.S.) at the beginning of the semester.   If you cannot return to campus by the start of Block 6, please plan a return for the Fall of 2021.  You will need to remain enrolled full-time from outside the U.S. in order to continue to maintain your F1 status.

If I traveled home during Winter Break, am I guaranteed re-entry to the USA?

No. Travel and entry restrictions vary greatly, depending on your home country or the country you will travel from. You should research the entry allowances and restrictions for these locations prior to departing the USA, so that you are aware if re-entry to the USA will be possible.  We suggest checking the CDC's U.S. Entry page.

Additionally, there is a new requirement, effective 01/26/2021, for proof of negative COVID-19 test or recovery from COVID-19 for all air passengers arriving in the United States.  Please visit the CDC website for more information and FAQs about what is required to board your flight to return to the U.S.

How do I know if I need a new travel signature on my I-20, and how do I get a new travel signature if mine has expired?

Please check page 2 of your I-20 to see when the I-20 was last signed by an advisor in ISSS. The travel signature is valid for one year. If the signature will expire before the date you will be entering the U.S., you need to contact ISSS for a new travel signature before you travel. During this time of COVID-19, ISSS has permission to issue and sign a new I-20, and send the scanned copy to you via email. Please contact ISSS for a travel signature at least two weeks before you travel to the U.S.

What format will Spring courses have?

There will be the same 4 formats available as in the Fall Semester: In-Person, Hybrid, Flex, and Remote. You should be planning on taking as many from the first three categories as possible. 

How do I know if a course will have an in-person element?

All courses with "In Person" or "Hybrid" designations on Banner have a required in-person component, though they may have some virtual elements too.  If you take a "Flex" class, you must arrange with the professor to have weekly in-person sessions. It is your responsibility to make these arrangements with the professor of the class when you enroll in the class.

Only courses listed as "Remote" on Banner have no in-person element and students should not ask faculty to create one. They should instead seek out courses in the other three formats.

Are there any COVID testing requirements when we return to campus?

Yes, all students living on campus or locally off campus will be tested for the Coronavirus immediately upon arrival and re-tested after 10 days.  Please visit the COVID-19 Updates page for all testing requirements.  

NOTE:  Students in Block 5 classes with in-person elements should plan to arrive by January 21 to complete arrival protocols before the beginning of Block 5. Students who arrive after January 21 may not attend class sessions with in-person components until they have completed the 10-day enhanced social distancing period and received their second negative test result. Should you plan to return for Block 6, keep in mind these testing requirements and the 10-day enhanced social distancing protocol when booking your flight tickets.


What are my options if I do not plan to return to Colorado for Spring Semester?

You have two options: CC online courses or a gap/leave semester.

The first is to enroll in CC courses which are listed as either "Flex" or "Remote" on banner. These are the only courses which do not require a physical presence on campus. SEVP guidance will allow a student to maintain their F1 status while maintaining full-time enrollment from outside the U.S. for the Spring 2021 semester.  You should register for a minimum of 3 online courses for the Spring semester in order to maintain your F-1 status.  You should also consult with your academic advisor as to whether 3 or 4 courses is best for your progress towards a degree.

A LOA (leave of absence) means that you will not be enrolled at CC for the Spring semester and will complete no coursework this spring.  If you take a leave of absence for the Spring term, ISSS will be required to terminate your SEVIS record (I-20) form for the reason of AEW (authorized early withdrawal).

If I want to take a leave of absence for Spring (no classes), who should I contact?

As a continuing student interested in a leave of absence, please contact the Advising Hub. You will also need to contact the team in ISSS.

How might taking a LOA (leave of absence) for the spring term affect my F-1 student status for the future?

A student in F1 status who takes a break in their studies of more than 5 months will have their SEVIS record (I-20) terminated for the reason of AEW (authorized early withdrawal).  Students must contact ISSS 60-days prior to their anticipated return to campus. ISSS will either request the reactivation of the F-1 SEVIS record (if applicable) or issue a new I-20 for the next semester (updated financial support documentation is required for a new I-20). 

The issuance of a new I-20 form may affect your eligiblity for CPT (curricular practical training) and/or OPT (optional practical training).

I am studying online from my home country in Spring 2021. How do I ensure that I am not being charged for CC's Student Health Insurance Plan (SHIP)?

Please be sure the Student Insurance Coordinator is aware that you will be outside the U.S. during the Spring semester so you will not be charged for the Student Health Insurance Plan (SHIP).

Is it possible for me to have a job as an international student and work outside the U.S.?

There are considerable obstacles to working for Colorado College while remaining overseas. As you can imagine, tax issues, both in the United States and for your home country, are a factor, as are labor requirements. If you are seeking to work for Colorado College this spring but are uncertain if you will be able to study and live in Colorado for the semester, we recommend you inquire with the Office of Student Employment and the Tax & Compliance Manager.


I started taking courses at CC for Fall 2020 with all remote courses from my home country.  Can I continue in all remote studies from my home country for the Spring semester?

Yes, you can continue to be a Colorado College student taking courses from your home country in the Spring 2021 semester. You will not have active F-1 status until you enter the U.S. to take courses in-person at Colorado College. Please work with International Student & Scholar Services (ISSS) to defer your Form I-20 program start date.

What type of classes should I enroll in and how many do I need to take if I stay in my home country?

You will not have active F-1 status until you enter the U.S. to begin courses so there are no specific immigration regulations that you should be following.  You should enroll in classes that are fully Remote or Flex and maintain full-time enrollment status should you wish to progress in a timely manner to complete your degree requirements.  You only need to be concerned about U.S. immigration regulations after you enter the U.S. to begin in-person classes on campus.

I can't get a visa appointment. What can I do and how can CC help me?

Unfortunately ISSS and Colorado College are not able to impact the visa appointments. We recommend that you consider the option for study from outside of the United States in the event that it is not possible to either obtain a visa or enter the United States in time to begin the Spring Semester (Block 5) in February.

When should I arrive to begin the Spring semester?

As a new F1 student, you should arrive on January 19 so that you can participate in International Student Orientation from January 20-22. 

Where can I find out about any possible entry restrictions to the United States?

While the United States Embassy or Consular Office in your home country, as well as your home country's Embassy or Consular Offices in the United States are perhaps the best sources of accurate information, there are also several websites which are tracking global entry and travel restrictions due to COVID-19. Some of these include the U.S. Centers for Disease Control (CDC) and the NAFSA International Student Information Page.

The U.S. has issued travel restrictions for my country. Can I travel to the U.S. by traveling through another country?

Yes that may be possible. However, if you are in a country where the U.S. has restricted travel, you will need to spend 14 days in a 3rd country (a country that does not have travel restrictions) before entering the U.S. Please check with that country to make sure you meet their travel and visa requirements before making travel arrangements.

Am I guaranteed entry to the United States if I am a registered student at CC?

No. Travel and entry restrictions vary greatly, depending on your home country or the country you will travel from. You should research the entry allowances and restrictions for these locations prior to departing the USA, so that you are aware if entry to the USA will be possible. You may wish to print out a copy of your spring schedule from Banner SSB or you can get a "Verification of Enrollment" from the Registrar's Office to prove your enrollment in Spring classes, but we cannot guarantee that this will be approved by Customs & Border Protection (CBP) when you arrive.

What arrival requirements should I expect when I get to Colorado College?

All students living on campus or locally off campus will be tested for the Coronavirus upon arrival and re-tested after 10 days.  You are required to adhere to enhanced social distancing protocols for 10 days and until your second negative COVID test results are received.  This includes these additional risk mitigation protocols:

  • Reducing your interactions to your roommate(s) until you get your second negative test result.
  • Staying in your room unless you are picking up food on campus.
  • Not entering buildings on or off campus other than your residence or to pick up food on campus. Shop for and bring room needs with you, rather than shopping after arrival.
  • Exercising individually and safely outdoors while wearing a mask.

Once you receive your second negative COVID test result on your 10th day after arrival, you may shift to the regular virus risk mitigation protocols, which will be implemented until further notice.  Plan to test immediately upon your arrival to campus.  Sign up for COVID testing here.

What types of courses are offered, and what should I enroll for if I'm going to be on campus?

There will be the same 4 formats available as in the Fall Semester: In-Person, Hybrid, Flex, and Remote. You should be planning on taking as many from the first three categories as possible. Due to immigration policies in place for the Spring Semester, you must be enrolled in a minimum of 1 course with an in-person element (In person, Hybrid or Flex formats). ISSS recommends that all int'l students enroll in a class with an in-person component for each block of the spring semester. New students should also be pre-registered in CC100 for Block 5 and CC120 for Block 6.

Can you send me an electronic copy of my I-20?

International Student & Scholar Services (ISSS) currently has permission from SEVP to email electronic I-20s when needed. 


I have questions about living on campus. Who should I contact?

Please contact the Office of Housing with questions about on-campus housing.

I have questions about COVID testing. Who should I contact?

We first recommend that you review the information on Colorado College's COVID-19 Updates page. If you have questions which are unanswered by the website, you can contact our COVID team at

What are the plans for the Global Scholars Program?

Alternative plans for the Global Scholars Program will be announced in the near future. This year's Global Scholars Program will not be occurring apart from the regular academic calendar, so there is no expectation that students in the Global Scholars Programs have a different arrival date or academic schedule than other students.


FAQs About Proposed Changes to F-1 Duration of Stay

Frequently Asked Questions for Proposed Rule of the Elimination of Duration of Status (D/S)
Updated October 27, 2020

Recently the U.S. Department of Homeland Security (DHS) issued a proposed rule to eliminate the duration of status of F-1 visa holders and other visa holders. This rule is currently proposed and not yet approved so no changes are in effect yet. However, we would like to make you aware of the possible changes in case the rule is approved and moves forward.

What does the elimination of Duration of Status (D/S) mean?

Instead of being admitted for "duration of status" (D/S) as they currently are individuals applying for admission in either F or J status would be admitted only until the program end date noted in their Form I-20 or DS-2019, not to exceed 4 years, unless they are subject to a more limited 2-year admission, plus a period of 30 days following their program end date. Individuals who need time beyond their period of admission would have to timely file a complete Extension of Stay (EOS) application with USCIS before their prior admission expires.

This means that International Student & Scholar Services (ISSS) at Colorado College would no longer be able to provide program extensions because the extension of stay would need to be approved by USCIS. F and J nonimmigrants seeking a program extension would continue to first request such an extension through the P/DSO or A/RO (located in ISSS), as provided for under current regulations. If such a program extension is recommended by the P/DSO or A/RO, the F-1 or J-1 must timely apply for an extension of stay (EOS) on Form I-539 with USCIS to remain in the U.S. beyond the status expiration date on their I-94.

Please see the Study in the States page "What is my Duration of Status?" to have more of an understanding of what Duration of Status means to F-1 students.

Who would be subject to a limited 2-year admission instead of a 4-year admission?

Groups subject to a limited 2-year admission instead of a 4-year admission:

  • State Sponsor of Terrorism List: Individuals who were born in or are citizens of countries on the State Sponsor of Terrorism List. Currently: North Korea, Iran, Sudan, and Syria.
  • Countries with greater than 10 percent overstay rate: Citizens of countries with a student and exchange visitor total overstay rate of greater than 10 percent according to the most recent DHS Entry/Exit Overstay report (See Table 4, Column 6). For now, this appear to be: Afghanistan, Benin, Bhutan, Burkina Faso, Burma, Burundi, Cameroon, Cape Verde, Central African Republic, Chad, Congo-Brazzaville, Congo-Kinshasa, Côte d'Ivoire, Djibouti, Equatorial Guinea, Eritrea, Ethiopia, Gabon, the Gambia, Ghana, Guinea, Guinea-Bissau, Guyana, Haiti, Iraq, Kenya, Kosovo, Kyrgyzstan, Liberia, Libya, Malawi, Mali, Mauritania, Moldova, Mongolia, Nepal, Niger, Nigeria, Papua New Guinea, the Philippines, Rwanda, Samoa, Senegal, Sierra Leone, Somalia, South Sudan, Sudan, Syria, Tajikistan, Tanzania, Togo, Tonga, Turkmenistan, Tuvalu, Uganda, Uzbekistan, Vietnam, Yemen and Zambia. DHS proposes to issue Federal Register Notices (FRNs) listing countries with overstay rates triggering the 2-year admission period. The first such FRN would also list countries that have been designated as State Sponsors of Terrorism.
  • U.S. national interest: "For example, the Secretary of Homeland Security could determine that it is appropriate to limit the length of admission of students who are enrolled in specific courses of study, such as nuclear science... If the DHS Secretary determines that U.S. national interests warrant limiting admission to a 2-year maximum period in certain circumstances, then it would publish an FRN to give the public advance notice of such circumstance."
  • School or exchange program not participating in E-Verify: Only 2-year admission for students at schools and exchange visitor programs who do not fully participate in E-Verify. (Note that Colorado College does participate in E-Verify).

How would the "grace period" for F-1 students change?

This proposed rule would reduce the F-1 "grace period" from 60 days to 30 days.

Can you explain how this could impact me if I'm currently in the U.S.?

If you are inside the U.S. in duration of status (D/S) on the final rule effective date, F or J nonimmigrants previously admitted for D/S would be transitioned to a fixed date of admission, which would be:

  • the program end date of the Form I-20 (or OPT EAD) or DS-2019 that is valid on the final rule's effective date,
  • plus an additional period of 60 days for F nonimmigrants and 30 days for J nonimmigrants, but
  • not to exceed a period of 4 years from the final rule's effective date (even if in a "2-year" category)

What does this mean for me if I travel outside the U.S. over winter break?

This rule is a proposed rule and is not guaranteed to go into effect. However, if the rule does go into effect, the timeline for it to be effective is not known. Therefore you need to be aware of the risk if you travel outside the U.S. during winter break. If you travel before the final rule effective date and re-enter the U.S. after the final rule effective date:

  • An F or J nonimmigrant who departs the United States and seeks admission after the final rule's effective date becomes subject to the fixed date framework that would be imposed by this rule (e.g., admission for 2 year maximum if in a "2-year category")

Would this affect me if I'm currently outside the U.S. and returning to CC?

If you are outside the U.S. and this proposed rule goes into effect:

  • An F or J nonimmigrant who is outside the United States and seeks admission after the final rule's effective date becomes subject to the fixed date framework that would be imposed by this rule (e.g., admission for 2 year maximum if in a "2-year category")

How would Optional Practical Training (OPT) and STEM Optional Practical Training (STEM OPT) be impacted?

  • F-1 applicants for OPT or STEM OPT whose I-765 is pending with USCIS on the final rule effective date could remain in the U.S. while the application is pending. They would not have to file an I-539 or re-file an I-765.
  • If USCIS approves the OPT, the F-1 could remain in F status until the expiration date of the OPT EAD, plus 60 days.
  • If USCIS denies the OPT: If the student's program end date has not yet passed, could remain in the United States until the program end date listed on their Form I-20, plus 60 days. If the program end date and 60-day grace period has passed by the time USCIS denies the I-765, student must immediately depart the United States with no grace period.

How would the filing dates of Optional Practical Training (OPT) be impacted?

The Post-Completion OPT filing window would change if this rule is approved. "DHS proposes to increase the number of days applicants have to file prior to the program end date from 90 days to 120 days and shorten the number of days students have to file an application for post-completion OPT after the program end date from 60 days to 30 days."

Would the cost of applying for Optional Practical Training (OPT) and STEM Optional Practical Training (STEM OPT) change?

Students applying for F-1 post-completion OPT and STEM OPT would also have to file an application to extend their stay. Under the proposal an F-1 student whose I-94 will expire before the end date of the post-completion OPT he or she is requesting on Form I-765 must also file an I-539 Extension of Status (EOS) application to cover the period of requested post-completion OPT. The current fee for the EOS application is $370. The current fee for the OPT application is $410. There could also be a biometrics fee of $85.

  • A student applying for standard post-completion OPT "may not continue or begin engaging in practical training ... until the extension request is approved and, as applicable, an employment authorization document is issued."
  • A student who has timely applied to USCIS for a STEM OPT extension, however, would still be able work for up to 180 days beyond the expiration date of the standard post-completion OPT while the STEM OPT I-765 and I-539 are pending.

How would the H-1B cap-gap would be affected?

The H-1B cap-gap would be retained, and the October 1st end date would be extended to April 1st.

What impact could this have on my ability to pursue future degrees?

If this rule is goes into effect, there will be a limit on pursuing new F-1 programs at the same educational level. The preamble states that: "DHS ... proposes to limit the number of times a student can change to another program within an educational level, such as to pursue another bachelor's or master's degree. Specifically, any student who has completed a program at one educational level would be allowed to change to another program at the same educational level no more than two additional times while in F-1 status, for a total of three programs for the lifetime of the student." The proposed regulatory wording at 8 CFR 214.2(f)(5)(ii)(B) makes clear that: "This two-time limit on beginning additional programs after completion of a program in the United States at the same educational level is a lifetime limit and does not reset with a new admission as an F-1."1

NOTE: The source of the information in these FAQs is NAFSA's Proposal to Replace Duration of Status page.

Fall 2020: COVID-19 & Immigration FAQs for International Students

Updated September 2, 2020

Please note that these FAQs are for the Fall 2020 semester only. International Student & Scholar Services (ISSS) will update these FAQs after Colorado College and the Student and Exchange Visitor Program (SEVP) make their announcements about the Spring 2021 semester.

General Questions

What are Colorado College's current Fall Semester guidelines after the recent update?

On Tuesday, Sept. 2, Colorado College released new guidelines for its Fall Semester. They have asked that most students who are already on campus return home by September 20 and that those who have not yet arrived on campus for Block 2 remain at home and do not travel to campus. There will be exceptions made for students who are enrolled in a small list of in-person courses, for international students already on campus or in transit, and for students with significant financial hardship regarding housing. Nearly all courses for Blocks 2, 3 and 4 will be conducted via remote learning, with only a few science courses with labs and senior studio seminars offered in-person.

Will there be a return to campus and in-person courses for the new J-Block?

This has yet to be determined and will depend upon trends in the COVID-19 pandemic between now and January. Expect an announcement about J-Block and the Spring Semester in October.

Are there financial resources to assist with the expenses I have incurred due to the change of college plans for the Fall?

Yes. The Emergency Resource Fund is a resource you can contact regarding assistance for expenses incurred due to the change in college policies for the fall. Potential funding is available for expenses such as airline ticket change or cancellation fees, airport transfers, overnight hotel during transit, food during transit, or extension of summer storage through fall, and support for internet coverage to complete online courses. The fund cannot cover any quarantine costs incurred due to government policies of your home country, lost wages from on-campus employment, or family expenses due to lost employment. The fund is also unable to finance the purchase of any durable goods, such as laptops or cellphones. It is designed to support students with financial need due specifically to the change in college policy and the shifting from on-campus attendance to home remote attendance.


Do the new college policies require that I return home?

No. As an international student already located either on campus or in Colorado Springs, you are not required to return home. Those on campus are eligible to remain on campus and complete your courses at CC. Those living off-campus but in Colorado Springs may also stay in their current housing and continue your Fall Semester, following immigration guidelines for mixed in-person and remote coursework.

If I want to, can I live somewhere else in the United States and take online CC courses?

No. Because CC will continue to offer some courses with in-person elements (including flex courses), all international students with F-1 visas are required to be in Colorado Springs, either in on-campus housing or off-campus housing. It is expected that, as a hybrid model school, CC will offer some in-person options, and international students must complete at least one in-person course during the Fall Semester (this includes flex courses), and must have residency on or near campus for the entire Fall Semester.

If I choose to return home, what should I do?

You should make plans to return home by September 20. Once your decision is made, you should notify CCMoveOut and the ISSS staff of your planned departure.

If I choose to remain on campus, what should I do?

You should notify Housing of your decision to remain on campus. You should also consult with your major advisor or the Student Opportunities and Advising Hub to review your fall schedule of classes. It will be imperative that at least one of your classes is a course listed as "flex" to provide at least one course with an in-person element. This may include your J-Block course, or any courses in blocks 1-4.

If I live off-campus and plan to remain in Colorado Springs, what should I do?

You should consult with your major advisor or the Student Opportunities and Advising Hub to review your fall schedule of classes. It will be imperative that at least one of your classes is a course listed as "flex" to provide at least one course with an in-person element. This may include your J-Block course, or any courses in blocks 1-4.

If I live off campus, can I come to campus?

In order to come to campus and attend your on-campus (in-person format) course, you will need permission from the vice provost. Please email the vice provost at: to request permission. You will need to explain that you are required by immigration guidelines to participate in a class with a flex, hybrid, or In-person component, and that you have enrolled in a class which requires your presence on campus.

If I am at CC this fall, I am required to take a flex (or in-person) course, but what is a flex course?

There will be very few "in-person" or "hybrid" courses available this fall, but there will be "flex" courses. These are courses which will be taught remotely, but which will offer weekly opportunities for in-person academic sessions. If your course is designated as "flex" it is your responsibility to inform the professor that you require a flex in-person component in order to maintain your immigration status. You should not make this request if your course is listed as "remote," so it is important to ensure that at least one course this semester is a "flex" course if not "hybrid" or "in-person".

What services will be provided to me if I stay on campus?

There will be regular food service on campus for those students who are staying. Campus offices will remain available to you. Student Life and other offices on campus will also be scheduling virtual activities, events and other opportunities.

How is my immigration status affected if I return home and take online courses?

You can maintain your F-1 status if you enroll in online classes full-time from outside the United States. Full time status for students who are outside the United States is a minimum of 3 units of coursework per semester.

What is required of me to maintain my immigration status if I remain in Colorado (on or off campus)?

If you stay at CC, you must enroll in a course each of the five blocks of Fall Semester (1-4 + J). One of your fall blocks must be either in-person, hybrid, or flex format. Students have the option to request one block off, but should notify ISSS of their intent to take a block off before making the request to the Student Opportunities and Advising Hub.

Why is the requirement for full-time status different if I am at CC or out of the country?

Students studying in the United States have different legal requirements to maintain their F-1 status than those who are taking online courses from overseas, due to the "physical presence" requirement.

Am I allowed to move off campus in Colorado Springs?

Yes. The college is waiving (for this year) its residency requirement. Students who wish to move from on-campus housing to alternative off-campus housing within Colorado Springs may appeal to do so. Those appeals can be sent to Your alternative housing must be within Colorado Springs, as immigration guidelines do not allow you to study exclusively online or from a location other than the campus and its environs.

If my courses are switched from "In Person" or "Hybrid" to "Flex" or "Remote" what do I need to do?

While some courses will be offered in hybrid or in-person formats, this list will be very short. Many courses will be moving to either a flex or remote format. Due to immigration requirements, it is very important that you confirm that at least one of your courses between Block 1 and J-Block will be a designated "flex" course, with in-person elements available to international students. We recommend that you review your course schedule for the Fall, and that you speak with either your major advisor, Student Opportunities and Advising Hub, or an ISSS team member to confirm your fall schedule and immigration compliance.


If I was planning to come to campus for Block 2, what should I do now?

Most students who are currently abroad should plan to remain abroad for the Fall Semester. You should contact the airline you were using to cancel your flights to Colorado and to seek credit with the airline so that you are able to use the ticket at a later date. Only students in the following two situations should plan to fly to Colorado for Block 2:

  1. Students who are en route to Colorado and/or cannot cancel their travel arrangements.
  1. Students who are approved to study on campus because they are enrolled in one of the lab science or senior studio courses which will be taught in person during blocks 2, 3, or 4.

If you qualify as one of the students allowed to move to campus, please notify both the COVID-19 Team and Zak Kroger in Student Life of your planned arrival date and time.

If I qualify to travel to campus for Block 2, will I be quarantined?

No. You will be required to participate in COVID-19 testing upon arrival on campus, and you are expected to follow the Enhanced Social Distancing Guidelines until your test result indicates that you are negative for the virus. Only students who test positive will be isolated and those who have had close contact with a student who has tested positive will be quarantined.

Can I continue to take online/remote courses from Colorado College from home?

Yes. Nearly all courses will be shifted to remote or flex designation, meaning they can be taken from any location on the globe. You have the option of maintaining the same courses which you are now registered to take. You may also opt to reduce your course load to three courses and still maintain your immigration status. If you are enrolled for a course which will remain "in person" (lab sciences and senior studios) you are within the group permitted to travel to campus, and should consider either doing so, or altering your schedule to a fully online/remote schedule for the fall.

Will taking online/remote courses from Colorado College from home affect my immigration status?

No. For students located outside of the United States, as long as you are enrolled in a minimum of three courses between blocks 1-4 and J-Block, your F-1 status is secure.

How many courses must I take this Fall in order to maintain my immigration status?

The minimum for students who are overseas is three courses between blocks 1, 2, 3, 4, and J-Block.

If I am able to rebook my flights to Colorado, when should I rebook for?

At this timetime, the college cannot advise any dates for travel to Colorado. We recommend that you delay rebooking flights until after the October announcements about spring classes are made. It is possible that we will be reopening the campus for J-Block, or for Block 5, or that we will further delay re-opening. This will be decided and announced in October. We recommend that at this time you seek credit for your current flights, and that you rebook flights only after the October announcements define when students will be able to return to campus. Students who are abroad during the Fall semester will not be able to return for J-Block (part of Fall). We expect that the earliest you can return is Block 5, but we are asking you to delay any rebooking until after the October announcements confirm this.

If I do not want to take online courses this fall, can I still request a leave/gap semester?

If you are interested in taking a leave of absence for the Fall Semester, you should contact the Student Opportunities and Advising Hub. If you want to drop your Block 1 class, you need to complete the leave form before September 8.

How do the new changes in CC guidelines impact me if I am currently not maintaining F-1 student status?

None of the new policies regarding campus residency or online learning impact you. However, you should plan to follow the Spring Semester guidance which will be announced in October. Please contact ISSS in November to regain your F-1 status and confirm plans to return to campus for the spring.

Report an issue - Last updated: 01/19/2021