Page Settings

  • Show menu: true
  • Use horizontal menu: true
  • Show sidebar: no
  • Skip to main content

    CC Faculty & Staff Traveling

    Academic Year Blocks Off-Campus & CC Semesters Abroad

    The Office of International Programs has developed a faculty handbook for developing and leading blocks abroad. You access the faculty handbook on the Canvas course entitled, "Faculty Leaders of Blocks Off-Campus." If you have not received an invite to this Canvas course, please contact Inger Bull to be added.  

    New Higher Risk Rating Travel Policy

    As of January 2018, the U.S. Department of State changed how it rates the safety and security of each country. Travel warnings are gone and have been replaced with travel advisories. See the new policy.

    Are you travelling abroad on college business?


    Faculty and staff travelling on college business


    International SOS+UHP bundle

    What is it?

    ·   Provides emergency assistance while abroad

    o Pre-trip planning resources via website, smart phone app, and phone call to an assistance center for pre-travel information (e.g., vaccination, medication, security)

    o Arranges, coordinates, pays for approved medical care

    o Advises on loss of travel documents or legal assistance

    o No copays or out of pocket expenses when SOS and UHP  approve and coordinate your care

    o Covers medical evacuation when approved

    o Covers natural disaster and national emergencies


    Common examples of international travel eligible for coverage

    ·   Teaching abroad

    ·   Course-development visit

    ·   Research trip

    ·   Scholarship travel to launch your performance/exhibit

    ·   Conference travel

    ·   Sabbatical research abroad


    How do I register my travel?

    There is no cost for faculty and staff on college business to enroll in International SOS + UHP. The college pays the annual coverage.

    ·   If you are teaching a CC course abroad, the Office of International Programs will register you and your students. We automatically register your trip duration to be from the day before the block/course starts to the day after the block/course ends. If your college business travel days extend beyond these dates, please let the Office of International Programs know.

    o For all other business-related  travel, you need to register your international trip by completing the SOS Registration Form on Summit.

    Any students travelling abroad with you on official college business will need to register their trip too. They should contact the Office of International Programs for the student form.


    My family is travelling with me on this work trip. How do I purchase coverage for them?

    Family accompanying you during your work-related travel, even if the family members are not engaged in work for the college, can be covered by SOS+UHP. The college does not cover the cost of family coverage.

    ·   Complete the SOS Registration Form on Summit.

    ·   Follow the instructions from the registration process and send the appropriate payment to the Office of International Programs in Armstrong Hall.

    Full coverage for each additional family member:

    $40 per year plus $2.00 per day

    ·   If your family is accompanying you while you are teaching abroad, you are required to purchase coverage for them. Family coverage is mandatory because should an emergency arise, you, your students, and your family will be assisted using the same emergency response coordination team.

    E.g., in an emergency (e.g., a bus accident, disease outbreak, earthquake), you will not need to worry about working with one company (SOS+UHP) for your students and yourself, while working with a different company for treatment or evacuation for your family.

    ·    If your family is accompanying you on other types of work-related travel, the family coverage is highly recommended, but optional.

    How do I access SOS+UHP support

    You will receive your electronic membership card and policy information after you register your travel online.

    ·         Call International SOS: +1 215-942-8478

    Additional numbers for other countries will be on the electronic membership card

    ·         Access online at

    CC’s membership number is: 11BSGC000027

    The International SOS smartphone app has travel information and alerts, and one-click dial to assistance centers.  It is available for Android, iPhone, iPad, Amazon, WP, and BlackBerry.


    Questions and additional information

    Inger Bull, Director of International Programs

    Armstrong 215

    +1 719-227-8280    



    Workers’ Compensation while abroad


    CC employees are automatically enrolled at no cost to the employee. If you are engaged in work-related travel as an employee of the college, you may be covered.


    Workers’ Compensation covers medical treatment and evacuation and requires no copay. Workers’ compensation will pay an eligible claim for injury that originates during international work travel and continues paying claim until final resolution (whether you are still abroad or have returned to the US).


    If you are injured or become sick during your work while abroad, first seek medical treatment---in most cases you will find it most convenient to call International SOS to help arrange emergency care. In cases of workers’ compensation, especially because there might be anticipated or unanticipated continuation of medical treatment after your return to the US, or there might be a need to claim other workers’ compensation related benefits, it is important that you also promptly notify your department chair/supervisor and Laurie Mozingo at HR +1 719-389-6422 We will assist in helping you determine what the next steps could be, and help coordinate the transfer of the injury coverage to workers’ compensation if needed.


    Questions and additional information

    Laurie Mozingo, Benefits Manager, HR

    Spencer Building         +1 719-389-6422   


    Faculty and staff personal travel

    CC employees should check their personal medical insurance to find out what coverage is in place outside the United States. If you have enrolled in CC’s Cigna medical insurance, it requires the employee to pay first and then seek reimbursement from Cigna. In additional, in or out-of-network deductibles and coinsurance applies, and there may be other limitations. Check prior to treatment.


    For benefits-eligible employees, United HealthCare Global provides limited emergency medical evacuation support, but will not pay for political security evacuation or disaster evacuation. Read more about the coverage at the CC Benefits website ( “Life and Disability” tab, left menu “travel assistance flyer”).

    Take home point: For Personal travel, the emergency travel coverage that you have as a part of the standard benefits package is not as comprehensive as the SOS+UHP bundle for work-related travel. We recommend that you become familiar with what is covered by Cigna (or your medical insurance) and United HealthCare Global, and consider purchasing additional coverage if you desire a higher level of coverage (such as the level of coverage in SOS+UHP).



    Renting cars outside the US on college business

    CC employees who rent cars outside the US on college business need to purchase the coverage at the car rental agency to meet the in-country compulsory insurance requirements. The College’s foreign auto policy provides excess coverage over what is required to be purchased in-country.