Procedures for Library & Other Facilities

1. Working with the Library

Many of the library's policies and procedures are documented on the Tutt Library website. Additional information is available from the Director of Tutt Library. Liaison Librarians are assigned for the three major divisions and the interdisciplinary programs of the College. The Liaison Librarians work with departments to develop supporting library collections and to provide instruction in library research methods for courses. They also provide specialized reference assistance in their disciplines, consult with individual students on thesis and other research projects, assist faculty with their personal research, help departments to determine the library impact of new course proposals, provide assessments of library resources and services when departments or programs are preparing for external reviews. They may assist departments in recruitment or orientation of new faculty through library tours and information sessions.

Regarding the ordering of library materials, some departments have assigned responsibility to a single faculty member to gather recommendations from the department and channel these to the library. In other departments, all faculty participate in ordering materials. Faculty submit requests through liaison librarians or directly to the acquisitions department. Liaison Librarians monitor orders in their subject areas and may take a more active role in ordering materials for the collection for subjects where faculty are not actively placing orders. Liaison Librarians also work with departments to evaluate needs for new subscriptions or journals, serials, and electronic resources and for possible cancellations of such materials.

The library's reserves service provides access to supplementary course readings, videos, and materials unavailable for student purchase. A complete statement on course reserves may be found on the library web page, or received by contacting the library's Reserves Coordinator.

2. Facilities Management and Other Requests

a. Repair Requests and Keys

Requests for repair work to facilities, as well as keys for academic and administrative areas, are made through the Facility Services Work Order site on their main page. A Key Request Card must be completed by either the Chair, the secretary or a designated student (in which case the chair's signature is required) and forwarded to Facilities Services with 24 hours notice to prepare the keys for issue.

b. Furniture Buying

The Chair should include the cost of the furniture in the department's budget request in the year prior to purchase. In the interest of selecting ergonomically appropriate furniture, the Director of Purchasing in the Finance & Administration Office and the Environmental Health & Safety Coordinator in the Facilities Services Department are available to provide information by housing sample chairs for individuals to try out prior to a purchase decision and by keeping a variety of current furniture catalogues on hand. If a retrofit of existing furniture is under consideration, departments are encouraged to first consult with the CC Purchasing Office to determine whether it makes more sense to retrofit or buy new furniture.

c. College Vehicles

Several sizes and types of vehicles are available to College staff to be used for College business, including such uses as field trips and visits to the Baca campus or to the CC Cabin. Explanation of types, use, rates, and availability may be obtained by calling the Transportation Department-Vehicle Reservations (extension 6175). Note that first-year students are not allowed to bring their own cars to campus; hence they cannot be asked to use their own vehicles for college-related activities. Also note that college insurance does not cover private vehicles used on college business. Thus, it is important not to allow any students to drive their own cars on trips.

d. Emergencies

During the workday, facility-related emergencies should be phoned in to the Main Desk (x6568). At other times, facility-related emergencies should be phoned in to the Security Dispatch Office (extension 6707). Non-facility related emergencies should always be phoned in to the Security Dispatch Office.

e. Environmental Health and Safety Issues

Different departments have different issues related to environmental health and safety. Chairs should consult with the Environmental Health and Safety Office (extension 6678) with any questions about the College's safety and environmental protection programs. New faculty and support staff may not be aware of existing policies and procedures on such environmental issues as chemical waste disposal. When such issues are present, Chairs should work with new faculty and staff to help ensure that program standards are followed.

f. College Insurance Claims

After a relatively large deductible, College insurance covers liability insurance (damages to buildings or equipment) and vehicle insurance claims (College vehicles or rental vehicles used for College business). Insurance claims are managed by the Business Office.

g. Computing Security

The security of computers is enhanced when individual users select unusual passwords that are not easily guessed by computer hackers. The Information Technology Services Solutions Center website contains information on anti-virus programs and alerts the community to the presence of computer viruses. Chairs should change passwords with relative frequency and should use passwords difficult to crack.

h. Grants

The Faculty Grants Coordinator in the Dean's office, will assist faculty in identifying external funding sources appropriate for faculty research and offer guidance for draft proposals. The grants officers in Advancement are available to assist faculty pursuing institutional grants. Chairs are encouraged to invite a grants officer to a department meeting to discuss such matters.

i. Textbook Orders

The bookstore sends out book adoption forms to each faculty member three times a year with dates for when they should be returned (October 15 for spring semester, March 15 for summer session, and May 15 for fall semester). These dates allow the bookstore enough time to purchase used books from students and wholesalers and to search for out-of-print and out-of-stock titles. Chairs should get these forms to newly hired faculty and block visitors or occasionally, with their permission, select materials for them. Information about the bookstore may be found here.

j. Scheduling and Publicizing Campus Events

All reservations for meeting room, spaces for parties, programs, lectures, concerts (including outdoor areas), and the like can be made on the Worner desk campus on-line calendar. This should be ready for use early in the 2012-13 academic year. Anyone with a CC e-mail address can access the site to see what venues are available. You can then request event reservations and support from that website. You can advertise your event (formerly the One Fell Swoop Form) online here.

The Faculty, Administrative and Support Staff listservs are potential venues for announcements of upcoming events and may be used to good effect.

Report an issue - Last updated: 12/17/2020