How to Prepare
Welcome to the Writing Center! Getting ready to visit is easy:
- Gather any and all course materials pertaining to the assignment (syllabus/prompt, outlines, notes, sources, any drafts, professor comments).
- Don’t worry what you do or don’t have done….anything is better than nothing, and we’re not expecting polished drafts.
- Consider what questions you have about the writing assignment or writing at CC.
- Plan to show up on time. Appointments start on the hour. If students are late, there’s a strong chance that someone will snag that appointment, especially during Block 1.
- If you can’t make it, cancel in a timely manner
- Remember that ALL types of students visit the Writing Center, not bad writers.
During the consultation:
- Articulate what has worked in the past for your writing.
- Be ready to interact with the consultants. They can’t just edit your writing for you.
- Take notes on your own writing as you discuss the prompt/draft, but don’t be afraid to ask the consultant to write things down.
- Remember that if you ask for grammar help, we will help, but we will also read for clarity, organization, and idea development.
- Don’t try to get through 20 pages of your writing in one session; book follow up sessions to complete your goals.
- Say if you want us to email your professor about the visit.
- Create a follow up plan - what do you need to do next to get your essay done?