Colorado College has signed the 30th Anniversary Action Statement developed by Campus Compact, a national coalition of over 1,000 colleges and universities committed to the public purpose of higher education. The Action Statement announces a set of commitments that advance higher education’s public mission: preparing young people to act in the benefit of the common good by equipping them with the proper tools to challenge existing social and economic inequalities. Campus Compact charged member institutions with reinvigorating this mission by creating a Civic Action Plan (CAP) that articulates how their campus will fulfill the commitments of the Action Plan. The purpose of the CAP process is to articulate institution-wide strategic plans that set goals, approaches, and metrics that determine how to best leverage campus assets to fulfill the commitments of the 30th Anniversary Action Statement (scroll down to read commitments).
This national initiative and framework aligns neatly with a key strategic goal of the Collaborative for Community Engagement (CCE) – re-visioning and building investment in our mission and strategic direction moving forward. Under new leadership, the CCE is working to build capacity and coherency, aimed toward deepening the intentionality, centrality, and impacts of community-engaged work at Colorado College. True to our mission, we strive to democratically form this plan as a community by soliciting input from communities on and off campus.
In this context, the Collaborative for Community Engagement is launching a strategic planning process, beginning with a “Semester of Listening” during which we will host town halls, organize focus groups, conduct interviews, and collect survey data. A steering committee made up of faculty, staff, students, and representatives from community organizations will synthesize this input into a coherent 5-year plan by the end of the spring semester. To conclude the strategic planning process, during a “Summer of Planning” the CCE staff will work to elaborate how the plan will be implemented, assessed, and celebrated.
Action Statement Commitments
- We empower our students, faculty, staff, and community partners to co-create mutually respectful partnerships in pursuit of a just, equitable, and sustainable future for communities beyond the campus—nearby and around the world.
- We prepare our students for lives of engaged citizenship, with the motivation and capacity to deliberate, act, and lead in pursuit of the public good.
- We embrace our responsibilities as place based institutions, contributing to the health and strength of our communities—economically, socially, environmentally, educationally, and politically.
- We harness the capacity of our institutions—through research, teaching, partnerships, and institutional practice—to challenge the prevailing social and economic inequalities that threaten our democratic future.
- We foster an environment that consistently affirms the centrality of the public purposes of higher education by setting high expectations for members of the campus community to contribute to their achievement.