Skip to main content area Skip to institutional navigation Skip to sub-navigation
Skip to main content

Temporary Impairments

Temporary impairments may include, but are not limited to, conditions such as concussions, recovery from surgery, or a broken arm or leg. Students are responsible for notifying the college of the need for assistance due to a temporary impairment. It is important for students to do this in a timely manner because, given the demands of the block plan, managing needs related to a temporary impairment can be challenging.

There may be multiple points of contact when a student requires assistance due to a temporary impairment:

Senior Assistant Dean of Students

Typically, students will contact the Senior Assistant Dean of Students to discuss concerns related to temporary impairments. At times, though, the Assistant Dean of Students may become aware of a student’s situation via the Dean’s On-call Representative who has responded to an emergency or crisis. When aware of academic concerns related to a student’s temporary impairment, the Senior Assistant Dean of Students will notify appropriate faculty and the Associate Dean of the College.

Also, when appropriate, the Senior Assistant Dean of Students can assist students by making arrangements for a leave of absence or by referring students to the Registrar or Academic Dean's office for a change in grade track and/or an excused grade.


At times, students may initiate contact with faculty to inform them of classroom needs resulting from temporary impairments. Faculty and students may consult with the Senior Assistant Dean of Students and/or the Associate Dean of the College if assistance is needed to respond to academic concerns.

Accessibility Resources

Additionally, students, faculty, and staff can consult with Accessibility Resources. The Accessibility Resources staff can assist in evaluating student needs and in making arrangements for reasonable courtesy accommodations. Following are examples of some of the accommodations provided when appropriate for each student’s situation:

  • Inability to write with dominant hand due to a physical injury:
    use of voice recognition software; copies of notes from another student in class.
  • Difficulty writing with dominant hand due to a physical injury but can type:
    use of a computer for exams.
  • Difficulty reading print materials due to a concussion:
    audio formats of books, when available; text-to-speech software.
  • Difficulty with focus and concentration due to a concussion or side effects from medication:
    extended time for exams; distraction-reduced exam setting.

Temporary Impairments During Off-campus and Abroad Programs

Managing needs related to a temporary impairment while participating in an off-campus or abroad program could be especially challenging. Students and faculty should consult with the Director of International Programs and the Associate Dean of Academic Programs and Strategic Initiatives to discuss possible assistance and accommodations.

Contact information:

Cesar Cervantes, Senior Assistant Dean of Students:, 719-389-6689, Armstrong Hall 100

Pedro de Araujo, Associate Dean of the College:, 719-389-6687, Armstrong Hall 212

Emily Chan, Associate Dean of Academic Programs and Strategic Initiatives:, 719-389-6679, Armstrong Hall 214

Inger Bull, Director of International Programs:, 719-227-8280, Armstrong 215

Jan Edwards, Director of Accessibility Resources:, 719-227-8285, Armstrong 211

Sara Rotunno, Assistant Director of Accessibility Resources:, 719-227-8287, Armstrong 211

Also, students may seek assistance from a variety of other offices on campus, including the following:

Registrar’s Office, 719-389-6610

Adjustment of course schedules; requests for a change in grade track or an excused grade.

Student Health Center, 719-389-6384

Urgent and preventative care; referrals to local physicians; medical liaison services with home and outside physicians; medication management; referral to off-campus services that provide medical equipment, including crutches and wheelchairs; communication with faculty regarding a student’s temporary impairment and needs, per HIPAA guidelines.

Counseling Center, 719-389-6093

The Counseling Center staff can work with students to manage the stress associated with concussion and its impacts.

Wellness Resource Center, 719-389-6211

The Wellness Resource Center can help students connect with resources and to identify healthy living strategies.

Residential Life, 719-389-6618

Accessibility issues in campus housing. (Please note: The ability to accommodate requests for accessible housing are guided by space availability and student needs.)

Campus Safety, 719-389-6707

On-campus transportation, when available, for students with mobility impairments. If students need rides on a regular basis (e.g., at 9:00 every class day for an entire block), they are encouraged to call Campus Safety ahead of time to alert them of this need.

Parking Office, 719-389-6888

Parking permits.

Facilities, 719-389-6568

Information regarding access to campus facilities; snow removal service.