A-Z List of many internet music resources mentioned in the Music Library guides.
- 19th Century American Sheet Music - (University of North Carolina, Chapel Hill) A unique collection of American music material.
- African American Sheet Music: 1850-1920 - (Library of Congress) Part of the American Memory series of digital collections.
- American Folklife Center. Library of Congress - American vernacular songs and stories from the Library of Congress collections.
- Music Online: American Music - American popular song of all genres, 19th century to the 1960s.
- Analysis Index - Index of analyses or program notes for musical compositions in books owned by the University of Tennessee, Knoxville. The call numbers for the books should be the same or similar to those used in the UCLA Music Library.
- Aria Database - Index to arias and songs in opera. Search by composer, role, voice range, etc.
- ASCAP - American Society of Composers, Authors and Publishers (ASCAP): a not-for-profit performance-rights organization that protects its members' musical copyrights by monitoring public performances of their music. Provides a database of works registered to ASCAP.
- Beethovenhaus Bonn. Digital Archives - ...contains the unique collections of the Beethoven-Haus: Music manuscripts, first editions, letters and pictures and many recordings.
- Bloomsbury Popular Music - Scholarly resource for researching popular music of the 20th and 21st centuries. Includes Bloomsbury Encyclopedia of Popular Music of the World and all volumes of the 33 1/3 series.
- British Library Sounds - (British Library) English accents, oral histories, drama, literature, music.
- CHARM: Centre for the History and Analysis of Recorded Music - (Royal Holloway, University of London; King's College, London; University of Sheffield) Library of "ex-copyright recordings," discographies, recording history, and recording analysis tool.
- Chopin Early Editions - (University of Chicago) The Chopin collection at the University of Chicago Library includes over 400 first and early printed editions of musical compositions by Frédéric Chopin.
- Choral Public Domain Library - Begun in December 1998, CPDL is one of the world's largest free sheet music sites. You can use CPDL to find scores, texts, translations, and information about composers.
- Music Online: Classical Music Library - Classical recordings from a variety of labels.
Provides short biography, photo, discography and sources for mostly popular musicians.
World music from every region, from the Arctic and Bollywood to Yoruba and Zeeland.
(UCLA Ethnomusicology Archive) American folk music, stories, and and field recordings.
(Royal Library of Denmark) Selected works from the Music and Theatre collections in digital form.
Recordings and scholarly resources on modern and contemporary American art music ("new music").
DDM-Online is an international database of bibliographic records for completed dissertations and new dissertation topics in the fields of musicology, music theory, and ethnomusicology, as well as in related musical, scientific, and humanistic disciplines.
(UCLA Library. Performing Arts Special Collections) American popular songs in the form in which they were originally published.
Link to Tiger
Ebook collection, including many about music.
Indexes journals and magazines from the film and music industries, including Variety, Billboard, Spin, NME, and others.
Approximately 40,000 recordings of music from the border regions of Mexico and the United States. These performances document many types of popular lyric songs, including the first recordings of corridos (narrative ballads on topics of the day), canciones, boleros, rancheras, and sones, including the first recordings of norteno and conjunto music.
Contains the full text of the 10 volume print encyclopedia (originally published in 1997). Each volume contains an overview of a geographic region, a survey of its musical heritage, and a description of specific musical genres, practices, and performances. Includes photographs of musicians, musical instruments, and the cultural context of dances, rituals, and ceremonies; drawings; maps; and musical examples for further study.
(Vanderbilt University. Wilson Music Library) A multi-media reference archive and resource center for traditional and popular song, music, and dance of Africa and the Americas.
- Grove Music Online (via Oxford Music Online) Add Tiger link
Formerly Grove Encyclopedia of Music, now access to several Oxford music reference sources.
(Indiana University) Digitized materials from the Hoagy Carmichael Collection.
Attempts to create a virtual library containing all public domain musical scores, as well as scores from composers who are willing to share their music with the world without JSTOR: the Scholarly Journal Archive
Provides access to several, but not all, important music journals. NOTE: The most recent five to seven years of any title is not in JSTOR; JSTOR is for access to back issues only.
Search, browse, and analyze scores of polyphonic music, ca. 1420 - c. 1520.
A portal to worldwide collections of medieval polyphonic music manuscripts. The music and the manuscripts date from approx 800 to 1500, and the original documents are kept in Music for the American Nation: Sheet Music 1870-1885
(Library of Congress) Part of the American Memory series of digital collections.
- Music Index
Music industry data, popular song chart data, etc. Academic Charts Online is now called MusicID (Music Industry Data).
(Library of Congress; Harvard University; Juilliard School) Online access to the world's most valued music manuscripts and print materials, held at the most renowned music archives, in order to further research and scholarship.
(Univeristy of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign) Opera and musical theater scores (G&S, Kern, Sousa, Herbert) via the Internet Archive.
(Library of Congress) Historical recordings of American music in all genres.
Streaming audio recordings of mostly classical music from Naxos, Marco Polo, Da Capo, and several other major labels.
Streaming access to jazz recordings from Naxos, Fantasy, and other major labels.
(Neue Mozart-Ausgabe) The Mozart complete works edition in digital form.
Scores, libretti, and other original sources for opera, operetta, and ballet. From Brigham Young University.
Access to Oxford Companions, Dictionaries, and other Reference works. See Oxford Music Online for Grove Music.
an online library offering access to thousands of academic works from the celebrated scholarly list of Oxford University Press. Browse items under "music", as a subject.
Full text of current issues (from about 1990) of scholarly journals published by university presses, chiefly in the arts, humanities and social sciences. Browsable by discipline and full-text searchable across all disciplines.
Indexes scholarly music journals, essay collections, music articles in non-music journals, dissertations, and non-English resources. UC-eLinks provides access to online content if it is available.
Manuscripts, letters, and prints of Franz Schubert from the Austrian Academy of Sciences.
Search the digital sheet music and print collections of UCLA, Indiana University, Johns Hopkins University, and Duke University.
(Eastman School of Music. Sibley Music Library) "Scores and books in the public domain, many .... unique to the Sibley Music Library collection.
American and world folk music from Smithsonian recordings.
From the Library and Archives Canada; early recordings from Canada.
Portal for digital scholarly collections from around the world hosted by the Bayerische Staatsbibliothek.
(University of North Texas) Digital collection of early opera scores, particularly Lully and other French composers.
This website provides links to substantial open-access projects of use to musicians and musicologists.