When to put on a trace/search:
- When you have checked the stacks and it is not there.
- When you have checked the shelving carts.
- When you have checked the reference collection.
- When you have checked the special areas of the collection (Oversize, Mini-scores, Cataloging Office, etc.)
How to go about it:
- Fill out Green tracer card (Have patron fill out all parts for their information).
- Put a Hold on the book, or Staff person will do it.
- Then look up book in tiger to see where it is located. (If it is at another location, call them – Tutt, Fine Arts Center, Barnes, Palmer, etc.)
Check and make sure that the status is not Mending, Processing, or Bindery.
- Make sure the right information is correct and on the card.
- Fill in date and your initials.
- On back of card, write “N.O.S.” (Not On Shelf), the date and your initials.
- Then put in new tracers box on Circulation Desk.
- Item then goes “on search” in status.
- After 3 months, item is considered “missing.”
Tracers will be kept for 3 months. Periodically search for these items and date and initial on back of card. If item does not appear after 3 months, cataloging will change status to missing and discard the tracer.
Things to do when searching:
- Take 3 tracer cards at a time.
- Search everywhere in the Library (Tables, Book Carts, Mending Shelf, Workroom, Catalog Office, etc.)
- Initial and date back of card.
- If found put in Cataloging Office.
- If not found, return card to box in call number order.