Tips for Using the TIGER Music Instrumentation Search
Use the Music Instrumentation Search to Find:
- Chamber music
- Solo instrumental music
- Songs with specified accompaniment
- Arrangements for specific instrumentation
- Choral works with or without soloists
Do Not Use the Music Instrumentation Search to Find:
- Music for large ensembles, including orchestras and bands
- Operas, musicals, and other large vocal works
- Folk music and popular music
- Hymns and liturgical chants
- Collections of miscellaneous instrumentation
To find these types of materials, use a standard TIGER CATALOG search.
The TIGER Music Instrumentation Search will retrieve both music scores and sound recordings by default. Apply limits to restrict your search to “scores only” or “sound recordings” only.
Searching for music scores and sound recordings that include 1 flute, 1 viola, and 1 harp.
A. From the “Woodwinds” menu, select “Flute;” under “Number of that instrument,” choose “1.” Click Add.
B. From the “Strings” menu, select “Viola;” under “Number of that instrument,” choose “1.” Click Add.
C. From the “Strings” menu, select “Harp;” under “Number of that instrument,” choose “1.” After clicking Add, select Perform TIGER Search.