Symphony Library Check-Out/Check-In Procedures
The Symphony Library collection (SYL) is available to members of performing organizations residing in El Paso County, CO. Patrons must be registered as a Community Borrower. See the Circulation Procedures Manual for entering new patrons of this type with Symphony Library borrowing privileges.
Patrons should have authorization from one of the library staff supervisors prior to checking out SYL materials.
This collection is stored in Room 7 (Instrument Storage Room). When a patron comes in to check-out or check-in SYL materials, please follow procedure listed below.
- Ask if authorization has been obtained; if not, contact a supervisor.. Explain to user that borrowing may not proceed until approval has been obtained.
- Find out what works are needed and see if the items are available in the catalog.
- Advise patron of $20 fee which is required at time of check-out.** (The fee covers all items checked out at one visit, but is required at each separate visit.) If patron is prepared to pay the $20, continue with rest of procedure. If not, items may not be checked out. Collect fee after the items have been retrieved.
- Verify that the patron is registered. If not, have him/her complete a General library application card and enter the new patron record as a Community Borrower with SYL Access. If patron does not have a Colorado Library Card or University ID from a participating academic institution, he/she cannot check-out items.
- Ask patron to read and sign two copies of the SYL Rental Agreement. Put one signed copy in the binder and give the second copy to patron along with a copy of the SYL Information Sheet.
- Retrieve the requested items from Room 7. NOTE: Scores are shelved separately in large envelopes. Make sure you pull the accompanying score, if applicable, and all volumes, if more than one.
- Collect $20 fee—cash or checks (payable to Colorado College). Give patron receipt, indicating it is for SYL rental fee. Put money in Cash Drawer. (Record payment in "Rental Fees Paid” log in black binder; can be entered later.)
- Give folders to patron and advise patron of due date.
- Check-out items (barcode in upper right-hand corner of folder and envelope).
**The $20 fee does not apply to music requested by the Colorado College Chamber Orchestra, the CC Summer Music Festival, or other official performing organizations within the Colorado College community. However, if a CC student, staff or faculty member wishes to borrow material as a representative of an El Paso County performing organization, the fee will apply.
- Check-in folder (barcode will be in upper right-hand corner).
- Check parts against parts list or leave folder on designated location behind the Circ Desk with note that parts need to be checked. It is not necessary to ask patron to wait.
- If there are any parts missing, put folder in Cataloging Office with note indicating the missing parts.
- If there are no parts missing, put folder in Work Room on designated cart.