Tutt Library and the First Year Experience
This set of goals was derived from the results of a survey of the 1999 First Year class concerning library research. The goals also incorporate objectives established by the Association of College and Research Libraries.
Specific Goals for Students by End of FYE
- Using print and electronic information retrieval systems, students will be able to obtain appropriate periodicals and/or monographs.
- Evaluate the validity and importance of information in both print and electronic formats and be able to distinguish between scholarly and popular publications.
- Know when and how to use the Internet appropriately in research.
- Know how to appropriately attribute an information resource using a standard/accepted citation method.
Goals for CC Graduates
These specific goals for the FYE fit within the larger context of our goals for students when they leave Colorado College.
(NOTE: These standards are based loosely on those developed by the Association of College and Research Libraries which we hope to refine and adapt working in conjunction with the faculty).
- Students will understand that information may be defined, stored, and organized in different ways in different disciplines.
- Students will be able to determine the extent of the information needed for a particular research problem.
- Students will be able to access needed information effectively and efficiently.
- Students will be able to evaluate information and its sources critically and incorporate selected information into their knowledge bases and value systems.
- Students will be able to access and use information ethically and legally.