In general, the Library does not accept donated materials. Exceptions may be made at the discretion of the Collections Librarian or the Special Collections Librarian.
We are running out of space. Although we appreciate the generosity of donors, in most cases the labor involved in reviewing and processing gifts far outweighs the value of the offering (with the exception of rare materials). Often, after searching the gift titles, we discover that we already own many of them, or that they are readily available through regional networks. The titles we do not own must be reviewed by subject liaisons or the Collections Librarian and evaluated for merit on a title-by-title basis, based on a number of criteria.
Manuscript collections, rare books and unique, one-of-a kind items may be of interest.
Who Should I Contact about a Possible Donation?
Lisa Lister, Collections Librarian, can be contacted at 719-389-6242. For manuscripts or special items, please call Tutt Library’s Curator of Special Collections, Jessy Randall, at 389-6668. Please do not drop off donations without talking with either Lisa or Jessy in advance.
What Kinds of Materials are Not Wanted?
- Most popular literature, including bestsellers, mass market paperbacks, mysteries, romances, cookbooks, etc.
- Textbooks, both current and old editions
- Old reference books such as encyclopedias, manuals, directories, etc.
- Foreign language materials
- Most magazines or journals
- Media such as sound recordings, VHS videos, CD-ROMs
- Any item that is damaged or has extensive highlighting or writing within
If the Library Agrees to Accept a Donation, How Does it Work?
- Please make arrangements with the Collections Librarian, Lisa Lister (719-389-6242) in advance to set up a time to drop off your donation.
- The Library sends the Development Office of the College a brief inventory of number and type of materials donated. We will not provide a title-by-title list. The Development Office will acknowledge your donation in writing by mail. Under current tax law, the library cannot attach a value to your donation. (If you want a detailed title inventory acknowledged, you should submit this list yourself, and the Development Office will acknowledge receipt).
- Gift books will be reviewed and added to the collection only if they fit our collection criteria and are not duplicates. We will not return items we do not add to our collection. They will be donated to other local libraries, sold to a book reseller or donated to advance the fundraising efforts of local libraries or charities.
Giving Financial Gifts
Gifts of money or the establishment of endowed funds can be used to purchase materials that fit the Library’s collecting priorities, and enrich the collections for years to come. If you are interested in donating funds to the Library for this purpose, contact Lisa Lister, 719-389-6242. Lisa will be glad to discuss your gift offer in light of our collection needs, and refer you to the appropriate contact in the Development Office.