Otis A. Barnes Scholarships in Chemistry and Margaret T. Barnes Scholarships in the Natural Sciences & Mathematics
Background and Requirements
Colorado College provides excellent one-on-one classroom and research opportunities for natural science and mathematics majors. The Barnes/Olin Science Center and the Tutt Science Center house facilities and instruments that are second to none among private liberal arts and sciences colleges.
To assist very talented students who wish to pursue natural science and mathematics programs, Otis A. and Margaret T. Barnes have generously endowed two separate full-tuition scholarship programs, the first to be used for awards in chemistry (including biochemistry), and the second for awards in biology, environmental science, geology, mathematics, physics, and psychology (including neuroscience).
Scholarships are awarded primarily for academic merit, though financial need and non-academic talents are considered. Applicants must be citizens of the United States who are strongly oriented toward math/science fields. Because the scholarships are mutually exclusive, you may not apply for more than one.
Otis A. Barnes Scholarship
Usually two Otis A. Barnes Scholarships in Chemistry are awarded each year. The scholarships remain in effect for four years as long as students make satisfactory progress toward an American Chemical Society-certified chemistry degree at Colorado College.
Margaret T. Barnes Scholarship
Usually two Margaret T. Barnes Scholarships in Natural Sciences and Mathematics are awarded each year. The scholarships remain in effect for four years as long as students make satisfactory progress toward the major in that science field.
How to Apply
- Submit your preliminary application or your Common Application prior to your decision plan's deadline.
- You must set up your applicant status page prior to starting your Barnes Scholarship application.
- The following documents must be submitted through the link above by either November 10 or January 15 (to match your admission application deadline):
- A 2-page (maximum) essay that describes your background in science and your reasons for choosing to major in your selected department.
- A letter of recommendation from an instructor most closely related to your science or math major and it should specifically address your potential for this award. Your instructor will receive an email with directions once you submit the application.
Your application to Colorado College, transcripts and test scores will also be included in the scholarship review process.