Skip to main content area Skip to sub-navigation
Skip to main content

Frequently Asked Questions

How does Colorado College define ‘international student’? 
For admission and visa purposes, anyone who does not possess a U.S. passport is considered an international student.

If you have dual citizenship with the United States, and/or are an American citizen who has studied abroad for several years, you are considered an American citizen as you do not need to apply for a visa to attend CC.  You are still welcome to attend our international student orientation and connect with international organizations on campus if you are interested.

Should I apply as a transfer student?
If you have ever been enrolled as a degree candidate at a university anywhere in the world, you must apply to Colorado College with a transfer Common Application. This is true even if you do not anticipate getting any transfer credits from your prior institution accepted at Colorado College. If you have not been enrolled in any higher education institution after high school, you should apply as a first-year student.

Is there a special international student application?
No, Colorado College uses the Common Application, available at The Common Application is an application used by more than 400 colleges and universities across the United States.

Does the ‘Secondary School Report’ apply to me?
Yes, but if your school does not have a ‘college counselor’, another school official who knows you and your work well may complete the form. Your school must send your official transcript, including courses in progress, along with your school report.

Do international applicants have earlier deadlines?
No. Please refer to the deadlines page.

How can I get financial aid?
Information on receiving international student financial aid can be found on the international student financial aid information page.

What types of aid are offered?
CC offers both need-based grants and merit-based scholarships to international students. A typical need-based package will include both grant funding, which does not need to be paid back, and work-study, typically ten hours per week.

How are need-based aid awards determined?
Prospective international students who wish to apply for financial aid should indicate that on their application (the application specifically asks if you will be applying for financial aid). Eligibility is determined from the financial data you provide on the CSS PROFILE.

How are merit-based scholarships awarded?
Merit-based scholarships are selected by the strength of the student’s academic work, including school performance, course rigor, standardized test scores, essay quality, and teacher recommendations. There is no separate application for merit-based scholarship consideration.

Is admission need-blind?
We do consider an applicant’s request for financial assistance when making admission decisions. In order to ensure we stay within our budget for scholarships, students who need financial assistance will be part of a highly competitive selection process.

Is orientation available?
International student orientation is provided to all incoming international students prior to the start of our general orientation for all new students.

Do I need to submit an English assessment?
If you attend a school where English is not the language of instruction, and English is not your first language, we recommend an English proficiency exam to best demonstrate your abilities, though one is not required. You may submit the following tests for consideration by our admission committee:

  • Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL) Recommended score: 100 or higher on iBT scale
  • Pearson Test of English Academic Recommended score: 68 or higher
  • IELTS Recommended score: 7.0 or higher