The Dance Major
Dance majors must complete a minimum of 13 units in the major:
- Six and a quarter required core courses: DA 110: Fundamentals of Performance Design; DA 221: Choreography, DA 211: Historical Perspectives in Dance, DA 301 Senior Thesis proposal (.25) DA 303:Junior Seminar; DA 304: Advanced Performance; DA 404: Senior Thesis Project.
- One unit from Intercultural Perspectives: DA 311-Cultural Perspectives in Dance.
- One unit from Interdisciplinary Perspectives: DA 326-Performance Studies; DA 327- Feminist Performance; DA 329-Queer Performance and Body Politics.
- Two unit of electives in Theatre & Dance: Can be two block courses or 1 block course and 4 technique adjunct electives. DA 225-Body in Motion: Anatomy Kinesiology and Somatics, DR 211-Costume Design, DR 207-Lighting Design, DR 105-Acting I or DA special topics courses
- 2.0 units of required dance technique adjuncts, .5 units from eah of the four categores: Classical Forms (Ballet at the 200-400 Level. Bharata Natyam, Graham Technique), Somatic Practices (Pilates, Yoga, QiGong), Contemporary Pactices (Contemporary Dane Technique, Improvisation), Intercultural/Community-based Dance (African Dance, Hip-hop, Samba).
- .25 of a unit for Dance Repertory (DA 425/TH 214 DanSix)
- .75 of a unit in Technical Theatre: DA/DR 101: Stagecraft (.50 unit) and/or DA 212-215: Theatre Studio Work/Technical (.25 unit each).
Outstanding work will be rewarded with distinction upon graduation. Dance majors are encouraged to take at least one unit in Theatre that will not count towards the units required for the major. Students are urged to study one or more foreign languages. Please consult the Handbook for Theatre and Dance Majors online for further clarification of the major.
This is the Department of Theatre and Dance
Browse all Departments & Programs
- Economics and Business
- Environmental Program
- Feminist and Gender Studies
- Film and Media Studies
- French and Italian
- Human Biology and Kinesiology
- Mathematics and Computer Science
- Molecular Biology
- Organismal Biology & Ecology
- Political Science
- Southwest Studies
- Theatre and Dance
- Asian Studies
- Comparative Literature
- The Departmental Major/International Affairs Option
- East Asian Languages
- Global Health Program
- Race, Ethnicity, and Migration Studies
- Russian and Eurasian Studies