SWS Benezet Research Grants
The Joel P. Benezet Research Grant in Southwest Studies
The Joel P. Benezet Research Grant in Southwest Studies supports scholarly and creative projects carried out by undergraduate students at Colorado College who are majoring or minoring in Southwest Studies. The grants are awarded annually in amounts of up to $1,000. Grant recipients are selected by the Southwest Studies Faculty Advisory Committee. Funds are disbursed as soon as possible following selection by the committee.
Juniors and seniors in good standing at Colorado College who have declared a major or minor in Southwest Studies are eligible to apply for the Benezet Grant.
Students must submit a written application with the following components:
- Title of project
- Names of student investigator and faculty advisor
- Date of submission
- Project description (about one paragraph in length)
- Research methods (about one paragraph in length)
- Expected product (e.g., written thesis, performance, art exhibit, etc.; about one paragraph in length)
- Time table and plans for completion (please be specific as to when and where each phase of the project will be completed)
- Total amount requested
- Itemized budget (including travel, accommodations, meals, equipment and supplies, in-kind payments to consultants, miscellaneous)
Selection and Notification
Applications will be assessed on the basis of thoroughness, appropriateness of topic and proposed methodology, potential for completion, and appropriateness of proposed budget. Grant recipients will be notified in writing by the Director of the Hulbert Center, Sally Meyer. For information email firstname.lastname@example.org, or call (719)389-6649.
The Joel P. Benezet Research Grant in Southwest Studies was first awarded in 2002. The prize was established in 2002 through a bequest from Louis Benezet, a former president of Colorado College. Benezet created an endowment, known as the “Joel P. Benezet Memorial Fund for the Hulbert Center for Southwest Studies,” to honor the memory of his son, who was killed in 1963 while enrolled as an undergraduate at Dartmouth.
This is the Department of Southwest Studies
Browse all Departments & Programs